Thread: Shaman Totems

Thumbs up Shaman Totems

I consider a "totem" an item, and as such "casting" a spell for Shaman should be "throwing" a spell (literally) and therefore should NOT be silenced(able).

I find it appalling that Blizzard nerfed Shaman to the same magic as other similar classes.. to silence a shaman would only be possible if you killed them... We shaman can STILL throw something even when we can't utter an incantation to complete the spell during a silence, so in my opinion a silence would amount to putting a silencer on a gun in space.. you can't "hear" it anyway and thus negate the purpose for which it was intended.

A silence isn't possible for Shaman Totems specifically! we can be silenced but we can still "throw" a totem down....

If they want to disable totems you have to do it a different way

Moving to the Shaman forums.

This is a post about gameplay. Doesn't belong in the RP forums.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't ... even. Gameplay =/= Lore
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

That is correct. Totems are imbued with matching in advance.
    When a shaman throws a totem, it is something that was readied long ago.
    It is pretty much the same as weapon imbues.

If a shaman is silenced, should his weapons be unusable because they are imbued with magic, something which shouldn't be usable while silence?
    Of course not. The spell was cast well before the silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

The totems cost mana upon casting, and there is most probably magic involved in their activation - being silenced prevents you from activating the totem's magick.

So when a warrior is silenced why cant he thunder clap? Is being able to speak a pre-req for hitting the ground really hard? Alot of things dont make sense in this game lol..

What I think is even more ridiculous is how enhancement shamans suffer so much from silences, and yet they are considered melee........?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    The totems cost mana upon casting, and there is most probably magic involved in their activation - being silenced prevents you from activating the totem's magick.
    There is no deeper meaning to totems requiring mana, really. Shamans have mana, so naturally it would require mana if you deemed it necessary to have a recource required for using totems. It could just as well require energy. We dont have that recource though, so that's that.

Primal Strike requires mana as well. All it is is a simple strike with your hand though. It is as normal as an ability gets. Primal Strike sounds to me like a neaderthal whacking someone with a stick. Why would that cost mana? And why would we still be able to use stormstrike and lavalash during a silence, if mana costing spells were required to be hit by silences? The answer is simple: Enh (and other shaman specs) have mana, therefor abilities require it. That's all there is to it really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

So you're mad that you can't "SUMMON?" your totems while silenced? And use other abilities cuz of a silence?
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    So you're mad that you can't "SUMMON?" your totems while silenced? And use other abilities cuz of a silence?
    We aren't mad at all, it just seems ridiculous that you can restrict usage of a device when the person can't talk.. you aren't talking during the "cast" (which is the same as throw) a totem, spells that are not device based are incantations requiring utterance of speech.

CAST:
    Verb
    Throw (something) forcefully in a specified direction: "lemmings cast themselves off the cliff".

A Totem is pre-imbued and therefore should NOT be silenced during it's use, the spell has a set amount of time it can be used, which is why it has a CD, but otherwise it doesn't require any sort of spoken phrase at the time of usage.

What's next silence a mage so they can't use their wand in their hand? That is EXACTLY the same thing yet their wand continues to function.