Video Card/CPUHeatsink upgrade help

Just RMA'd an XFX 7870 for some blue screen/performance issues. Was stuttering a lot in skyrim on high at 1080p. Anyways looking for some advice on a replacement.

PC specs are 2500k at 3.8GHz (stock cooler) in a gigabyte z68 mobo, 8gigs of vengeance ram, corsair 650w 80+ bronze PSU and using an old radeon 5830 video card.

Ive been looking at either a 7950, 7870xt or a 660 ti. Don't want to spend ~380 for a 7970 or 670, but i guess I haven't ruled it out. With the 7870xt out, is a 7950 even worth the extra 50 bucks? I play skyrim, bf3, borderlands, dota2, arkham city on a 24" 1080p screen

As far as heatsinks go, corsairs h60 is on sale for 45 bucks from tigerdirect. Is this worth it over a CM 212 evo or any air cooler in the 40 dollar range? I have an NZXT phantom case so room isn't an issue.

Any help would be much appreciated, looking to buy today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bdecker12 View Post
    As far as heatsinks go, corsairs h60 is on sale for 45 bucks from tigerdirect. Is this worth it over a CM 212 evo or any air cooler in the 40 dollar range? I have an NZXT phantom case so room isn't an issue.
    You'll gain exactly nothing from that 'upgrade' besides more empty space around the CPU socket. Temperatures will not go down, and noise might go up.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear, I have the stock cooler currently. Trying to decide on the h60 or an equally priced air cooler. Are the cheaper closed loop coolers any good?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the cheaper closed loop coolers any good?
    No, in price vs. performance they're not. They're also more noisy in comparison to air coolers due to their inefficient nature.

Okay, air it is. What about GPUs? 7870xt vs 7950 or 660ti

Is your vengeance RAM low profile? If not go for the H60. If they are, put the extra 20$ into the gpu.

Deleted
    Okay, air it is. What about GPUs? 7870xt vs 7950 or 660ti
    what other tittles beyond skyrim? also any plans for multimonitor gaming in the future/going SLI/CF for more performance?
    most likely boils down to what gpu the main games you play favor.

I jumped on the sapphire 7870xt and the corsair h60. Came in under 300 bucks for both, and i wont have to ditch my vengeance ram due to it not being low profile.