Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    When I need a portal and no mage is online in guild i usually write:
    WTB Portal from XXX to YYY, paying 50 g.

Usually gets one pretty quick then.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    If im not busy i make em for free, people usually give me a tip
    People that overcharge for portals/food give mages a bad rep
    What? No one charges for food. That's totally different. You get into a party, you expect the services of the classes present. It would be like a paladin charging for kings, or a rogue charging for each sinister strike used. Mages in your dungeon group should also be expected to provide a portal afterwards, at least, back in the day when we actually had to travel out.

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Now lockboxes are a bane of mine since I play mostly on my rogue, and for some reason people think that should be done free automatically as well, regardless of manners.
    Heh, that's because they still think rogues get skill ups from it and believe they are doing the rogue a favor. Lockbox picking is the exact same kind of service as mage portals, though.

i ask for some gold. it is up to them what they wanna give.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You have to level your mage...

Contrary to popular belief, players have other things they would like to do than act as a portal vendor.

Its about how much the customer's willing to pay as well as how much the mage thinks his time is worth.
    Leveling a mage doesn't equal level another class plus a profession and I believed I answered on what to do when a player asks, you tell them no or if you are too lazy to do that ignore them. Why is this even brought up? You're busy, ok fine, just say no.

Deleted
    Mage portals free or not?

It depends on if you are asked politely or not (and assuming you are not busy with something else that needs your attention). That's all there is to it.

If you are polite with me, it goes a long way.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Mage, I give out portals for free. If the offer a tip, I decline them. Usually just sitting in Shrine anyway, might as well be of some help.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    If a Mage asks for gold, I give 10g.

If they don't, I'll give them 30g.
    Currently Procrastinating

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I didn't realize you could learn all the portals at level 1. My bad. I was under the impression that you had to level a mage up first. I also thought you had to be in a group for portals, meaning you waste your queue trying to give someone a portal. Guess that's not true either?

See, it's attitudes like you seem to have that are why when a mage sees someone say "LF mage to port me" they just ignore it. I mean seriously, why bother giving a random person a portal who is totally unappreciative of it?
    Really? Did you completely miss the part where I said

No one should IMO pay for someone's effort when they just level a toon and that to me what portals are. They are apart of the process of leveling a mage.

I know they have to level to get a portal training and I will say this for the 2nd time, it is APART of the process of LEVELING a mage. I will have to say this again as well, tell them no you're busy. That takes so little time, it is not even funny. Other mages in this thread even said they will do portals when they aren't busy. They get the idea.

See you fail to read anything I said because look what else I said

I do agree that mages should be tipped since they are offering a service, but don't compare them to professions.
    Read my stuff closely. I of course know mages need to level up, all you have to say to someone so you don't waste your time is no AND I believe in tipping for a mages service NOT because he did something he was suppose to do while leveling up which is get portal training. I would tip cause he is providing me a service. With that said, I don't even bother mages for portals anyways so for me personally it doesn't matter.

If someone asks on my mage I'll make a portal for them. They usually tip but I don't ask for money. I don't mind mages asking for money for it though - you buy their time and it's up to them to decide how much they wanna sell it for.

Deleted
    I'll make portals for free and most times get tips. I still think tipping at least something is a nice gesture. On my non-mage alts I always whisper a mage I see standing near and ask for portal offering 50g. I'll get almost always instant portal and 50g is really nothing. Some mages refuse to take the gold also.

Deleted
    Usually people see mages like some sort of taxi service. If someone whisper me something along the lines of "port to dala" I either just ignore them or tell them some ridiculous price like 100-200g. However if I get a polite request I always give it away for free and refuse tips.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never pay for a portal because getting everywhere immediately is in 99% of cases faster or just as fast as having to find a mage first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    I would never pay for a portal because getting everywhere immediately is in 99% of cases faster or just as fast as having to find a mage first.
    Like I said in my previous post, I always whisper to a first mage I see and offer 50g for the portal. Almost always I get a portal right away.

Deleted
    If someone gives me gold, I'll accept it, but I never ask money for portals, the reagents used to be incredibly cheap, and now we don't even have to buy those.

Would never do it for free. Always ask for a fee and if the buyer thinks it's reasonable, they buy the service. If not, I can't be bothered. If you order a taxi IRL to the taxi station they will charge you for it, even if they were going the same way. That's just the way it works. Though I think that herbalists should give out their herbs for free and miners their ore >

I give guildies free ports, or ppl I frequently run BG's or group with. Otherwise i usualle charge 15g - not for free tho, especially if they are being an ass. Its a "service" if you will, if they want to level a mage then port themselves, they can, but till then, they need to pay you, since there is a little bit of leg work behind the portals.

IMO, if you ask for a port you should be willing to pay. A mage that charges for his portals is ok seen in my eyes since they are offering a service and saving you time while wasting some of his so a little remuneration seems fair.
    Now if the mage charges too much, move along as simple as that.

Deleted
    I always give them for free and mostly(something like 85% of the time) i get tipped for 20-150g. I honestly don't care if someone gives me a tip or not. The only thing I care about is if they say thank you or not.

I never charge, and I refuse tips. It costs me no money and maybe 60sec of my time to help a fellow player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Friends and guildies get free portals anyone else is up for review depending on how they ask and/or what i am doing at that moment.

If i'm not doing anything and i get asked nicely then sure, you get a portal with no charge and tips are gladly received but not expected.
    If you ask like a retard you will be ignored and you can fucking walk/fly/swim to wherever you want to go.

A lot of the time i am on my Mage i will be queued for Battlegrounds and while the queue is relatively short, i don't want to leave it for someone who can not or will not ask me nicely for something they want.

So yeah, portals are free if you ask nicely and tipping me is completely optional as it should be.