Thread: Water Cooling

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Water Cooling

Can someone explain to me how the reservoir / pump combo work as i have only done one water cooling loop and was looking @ tidying it up. I want to put a Vertical reservoir in my system and need a new pump but i am confused about if X pump is compatible with Y reservoir, example i was looking at these two products;

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21864
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21701

how would i connect them? just with a regular barb fitting? this is the main part i am not to sure about could anyone explain?

10+ Year Old Account
    The functionality of the resevoir is to create a dampening effect, and to ensure an even flow/input for the pump. This is to ensure it doesn't run dry and no pulsating flow is created (depending on the pump). So you mount this BEFORE the pump in your loop iirc. The outputflow of the resevoir must be higher than inputflow of the pump, otherwise it creates a vaccuum. Not sure where you can derive that info from on that site however. The pump has a gal/hr remark, but the resevoir doesn't.

Never made a custom loop btw, this is just atop of my head technical insight.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-02-13 at 03:31 PM.

Yeah, I've never made a custom loop either, the one I'm currently using came as a pack.

10+ Year Old Account
    My advice is to find a kit where the parts are included, and check the data of the pump. You can get a rough idea of what parts to combine.

I usually use compression fittings like these ones http://www.ekwb.com/shop/accessories...ck-nickel.html They are much nicer to look at and they are easy to install. Bear in mind that you should replace them if you attach/re-attach them more than 2-3 times. Could you upload a picture of your loop? If you want to tidy up I might be of assistance.

edit: make sure they are the right dimension!

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Etc.
    This is somewhat dodgy. The res is there to make monitoring, filling, bleeding and possibly draining the loop a more easier endeavour. It is installed before the pump because it simplifies the process. You don't "have" to install the pump immediately after the res, but it makes your life much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Bear in mind that you should replace them if you attach/re-attach them more than 2-3 times.
    You got a source for this? I have never heard about this and it sounds a bit unbelievable.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You got a source for this? I have never heard about this and it sounds a bit unbelievable.
    Yeah, that's a little far-fetched...

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Had small leaks during re-assembling on my last system. They're not all like that but I would be on the safe side. The cost for them is pocket change anyway. I always kept about 15 of them in reserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    This is somewhat dodgy. The res is there to make monitoring, filling, bleeding and possibly draining the loop a more easier endeavour. It is installed before the pump because it simplifies the process. You don't "have" to install the pump immediately after the res, but it makes your life much simpler.
    It's the same like a capacitor in a rectifier unit. You don't HAVE to use it, but it makes it less stressful for the devices attached.

Had small leaks during re-assembling on my last system. They're not all like that but I would be on the safe side. The cost for them is pocket change anyway. I always kept about 15 of them in reserve.
    Pocket change? Compression fittings are $5-$15 each, depending on brand and if they are angled and/or rotating. Replacing them after a few uses is absurd. Replacing the tubing or o-rings after a couple compressions on the other hand is completely understandable.

You don't use Bitspower fittings if you say it's pocket change. Half my loop's cost is in fittings alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybutcher View Post
    Pocket change? Compression fittings are $5-$15 each, depending on brand and if they are angled and/or rotating. Replacing them after a few uses is absurd. Replacing the tubing or o-rings after a couple compressions on the other hand is completely understandable.
    Pocket change compared to replacing your computer. Which is what you'll be doing if you let liquid leak all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Pocket change compared to replacing your computer. Which is what you'll be doing if you let liquid leak all over it.
    Meh. Not really. If liquid leaks over it when power is on you're in for a bad time, especially if the fluid is no longer nearly as clean as it was when you initially filled the loop. Trust me when I say fluid used in watercooling leaking onto components is extremely inconsequential if you just take precautions afterwards.

If you're so concerned about leaks why don't you just go for distilled water? It's non-conductive 0% but you can add some anti-wear thingies.

@OP Why won't you try a pump like the XSPC D5 (pump being made by laing)? Pump/res combo in a bay slot is always handy but if you would like to have the looks of a reservoir in your case, just add one in the loop.. I don't think a pump alone is going to look "sexy".. 2 more weeks Swiftech is bring their H220 out which is expendable and that pump is just great..

You don't use Bitspower fittings if you say it's pocket change. Half my loop's cost is in fittings alone.
    I don't use Bitspower, no. While small leaks often turns out just fine I don't ever chance it. I keep a reserve parts stock for at least half the tubing, a reservoir, a pump, fittings etc. I'm one of those better safe than sorry people that will actually overspend and be set for the next 3 years instead of risking anything. I don't buy Bitspower since I like EK better design wise. I buy EK blocks thus wanting to buy the rest of the shits from them as well, including fittings even though Bitspower is better. It's a look thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    So why not just buy proper ones...

EK's fittings are fine. I'm just saying that compared to Bitspower, who have easily the best range of products, EK is a bit lackluster, but doesn't cost as much (thankfully).

If you're having leaks for any reason whatsoever from your fittings, I'd go for an entirely different brand. That's why I basically abandoned Enzo's compression fittings pretty much within days of trying them.

EK's fittings are fine. I'm just saying that compared to Bitspower, who have easily the best range of products, EK is a bit lackluster, but doesn't cost as much (thankfully).

If you're having leaks for any reason whatsoever from your fittings, I'd go for an entirely different brand. That's why I basically abandoned Enzo's compression fittings pretty much within days of trying them.
    Completely agree, Bitspower is in a league of it's own. I just like EK's design and the fittings are fine and all, I just like to keep spare parts just incase I get a dud. When I look at custom watercooling I am very nit picky about keeping as few design elements in there as possible for the cleanest and most professional look. Hence the EK fittings.

I have started drawing up my next build which will feature a custom watercooling loop from EK. I just need to get my Corsair Obsidian 900D first so I can measure it up myself. Worst thing I know is a custom watercooling loop looking a bit "off".

Tips and help would be appreciated seeing there are other watercooling enthusiasts here. What blocks from EK would you choose and why, would you watercool the RAM? transparant tubes or maybe copper? Looking to make the 900D a bit steampunk so parts that would fit the theme would be nice.

Completely agree, Bitspower is in a league of it's own. I just like EK's design and the fittings are fine and all, I just like to keep spare parts just incase I get a dud. When I look at custom watercooling I am very nit picky about keeping as few design elements in there as possible for the cleanest and most professional look. Hence the EK fittings.

I have started drawing up my next build which will feature a custom watercooling loop from EK. I just need to get my Corsair Obsidian 900D first so I can measure it up myself. Worst thing I know is a custom watercooling loop looking a bit "off".

Tips and help would be appreciated seeing there are other watercooling enthusiasts here. What blocks from EK would you choose and why, would you watercool the RAM? transparant tubes or maybe copper? Looking to make the 900D a bit steampunk so parts that would fit the theme would be nice.
    Watercooling the ram is kinda pointless just because the max voltage is 1.7V for DDR3 and they don't even get that hot if the module has a decent heatspreader, performance wise it's only going to be interesting for people who are working with tons of GB's psd files or autocad stuff. Loads of modules are really not pushing that far, I can't even get my dominators with 1.65V to 1866MHz. Other than just performance & cooling, RAM is really sensitive and it's the most common part which can cause after a while issues.