Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    i disagree fencers i think being in a guild is very important in WvW. If your not your usually just running around in a zerg. Guilds can better organize a plan of attack rather than relying on map chat where ppl are shouting all sorts of commands.
    Totally agree. PvP guilds are needed in WvW to be effective. For those that disagree have no idea what they are talking about. You join the same voice chat program, discuss tactics on your guild website, use your guild tab to know what is required of you for that nights WvW.

Pugs get destroyed 9/10 against guilds with less numbers. I see it time and time again. If you want coordination join a guild, if you want to join the mindless zerg don't worry about a guild.

IF you have no interest in WvW then you can get away with not being in a guild.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could not be in a guild and still talk to people on any voip, guild make it easier to organise but there is no reason i need to join a guild to run an organised wvwvw group not does being in a guild group bring many benefits. It's no different in any other mmo mind. The question do you need to be in a big guild is a flat no regardless of what you do in Gw2

Quote Originally Posted by Parilla View Post
    True, but I mean if you don't want to just run around in a zerg and like playing with a well orchestrated group using tactics, a guild is the only way.
    Incorrect. Now I'll openly admit this is likely the exception instead of the rule, but this does not apply to a certain server that is currently #1 in NA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's definitely more profitable to be in a guild ;-)

+5% xp (xp=gold)
    +10% gathering = gold
    +10% magic find = gold
    +15% karma = you guessed it, gold
    Valar morghulis

To me, guilds in GW2 are largely social endeavors (with some minor incentive bonuses). Coordination, ease of grouping, chat, and, in the more competitive areas, prestige (i.e. being known as the best/largest WvW/dungeon/event/etc guild on a server), all fall under a social category. The boosts are there to further facilitate social activity, such as a guild bank for communal storage, boosts for use while members play together, etc.

Guild missions may change this a bit, however.

Deleted
    I find having a big guild extremely useful. Especially for forming dungeon parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Arajal View Post
    To me, guilds in GW2 are largely social endeavors (with some minor incentive bonuses). Coordination, ease of grouping, chat, and, in the more competitive areas, prestige (i.e. being known as the best/largest WvW/dungeon/event/etc guild on a server), all fall under a social category. The boosts are there to further facilitate social activity, such as a guild bank for communal storage, boosts for use while members play together, etc.

Guild missions may change this a bit, however.
    With that definition, isn't that true for guilds in any game?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    With that definition, isn't that true for guilds in any game?
    A key difference is in other MMOs it is often the case that your own progression is tied to the consistency of 24/39/59 other guild mates logging in on X day. Which may or may not be much of a "social" experience for some of those 25, 40 or 60 people.

Guild Wars 2 is not really like that in guild structure or raison d'etre. So to speak.

You just sorta hang out and do... whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A key difference is in other MMOs it is often the case that your own progression is tied to the consistency of 24/39/59 other guild mates logging in on X day. Which may or may not be much of a "social" experience for some of those 25, 40 or 60 people.

Guild Wars 2 is not really like that in guild structure or raison d'etre. So to speak.

This is what bugs me, I had to google raison detre, cant you just speak in plain english, I have to agree with your post though, makes sense to me.

Deleted
    You don't need to, ofc you get great benifits of the guild levels but if your happy pottering alone then its all good.

In a fun big guild you get more friends basicly, and thats only a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    This is what bugs me, I had to google raison detre, cant you just speak in plain english, I have to agree with your post though, makes sense to me.
    Standard idiomatic expression used frequently in English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    Standard idiomatic expression used frequently in English.
    Lived in england a long time, my whole life in fact, its a phrase I have heard so infrequently as to be something I had to google, plain english would be to just say reason for existing, I didnt even know it was an idiom tbh :S

I agree, but the way they defined "social endeavors" fits the entire reason for the existence of all guilds anywhere, both in history and in games. Eh, semantics, but details matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, but the way they defined "social endeavors" fits the entire reason for the existence of all guilds anywhere, both in history and in games. Eh, semantics, but details matter.
    Particularly when in discussion with fencers :P

Heh. I think the detail of not having your own personal progression tied to 24 other Sally Standsinfires is a fairly important detail, which matters as a point of distinction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how guilds function in comparison to theme park MMO's. To clarify I see this used all the time for GW2 "you drop in and out of the game when ever you want" which causes surges of players returning for new content patches and then people disappear for awhile (some play regularly) but the masses seem to come and go and I've seen that with my friends in my Raptr tracking, hardly any log in into GW2 on regular basis and then bamm patch day I see GW2 activity.

I noticed a poster say above that his guild is dead now when in fact it probably isn't people just don't play the game often beyond new content which I keep hearing is the way GW2 is meant to be played. It really sounds very dis-functional in a guild aspect unless your in say a guild that is PvP focused. A PvE guild doesn't seem worthwhile once you've got all your cosmetic gear....I don't think I'm too far off the mark here or do PVE'ers just run dungeons and jump puzzles day in day out for shits and giggles what is there to do once you've got your desired gear set and are not an altholic? If you don't give a toss about PvP do PVE guilds remain active? /baffled.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I wonder how guilds function in comparison to theme park MMO's.
    Guilds in GW2 are really just social clubs. The main appeal/benefit is guild chat and some minor, time limited buffs.

Typically people just log in, chat in /g while they do stuff on their own or with a small group. Usually someone asks what everyone is up to in game. Or someone will say, "Hey guys, I'm doing X jumping puzzle", "Claw is up!" or "Anyone one want do events in Bloodtide Coast?", "Anyone up for dungeon/FOTM blhablah?", etc.

And you join with them if you like.

It's really kinda just hanging out from all the PVE guilds I have been in thus far. Some PVE guilds run their own little "events". Like meeting up to do meta events and stuff like temples.

I suppose it's not that different from a PVE guild in a theme park MMO with the key distinction being there is no dedicated tie to character progression for a guild in GW2. You don't meet up to "raid" instance Y for X months.

If you took out the raiding part from my Rift guild, they operate almost exactly the same way as GW2 guilds. "Any one wanna do ROTP?", "Who's up for IAs?" or "Volan's up!"

It's just kinda hanging out, yea.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-15 at 08:45 PM.

Disagree. WvW is fairly meaningless.
    Thats like saying World PvP in any game is meaningless. Yet players still partake in it by the thousands, Why? Because they love killing other players. And being in an organized big or small guild will help maximize your killing of other players. The Reward is the satisfaction of stomping someone else's face in. Im on vent with guys that do nothing but PvP in WoW everyday. A majority of that pvp is world pvp. They get in scraps all the time and where is the reward for it? None game wise but they enjoy killing other players. Another thing is that when one of them is in trouble they as for help and others join in. Thats what the guild is for. Now since they are doing small scale world pvp they dont need that big a guild. But in WvW if these guys played GW2 they would need a large guild so that they could have more chances at killing players.

Thats like saying World PvP in any game is meaningless.
    It is meaningless and one still wouldn't need a "big" guild in most circumstances to partake in world PVP. Or in this case, WvW. Which has small/minor boons almost totally irrelevant to individual play.

It is meaningless and one still wouldn't need a "big" guild in most circumstances to partake in world PVP. Or in this case, WvW. Which has small/minor boons almost totally irrelevant to individual play.
    What? The WvW bonuses are pretty significant:

Artisan: 2-3% increased chance of crafting critical success.
    Defender: 1-2% increased defense against monsters.
    Energetic: 1-2% endurance regeneration bonus.
    Gatherer: 2-3% chance of additional gathering node uses
    Medic: 1-2% increased healing effectiveness
    Robust: 1-2% increased maximum health
    Scavenger: 1-2% bonus coin per kill.
    Wisdom: 1-2% bonus experience per kill.

That's per tier, and you'll be up at tier 7 or 8 or so by the end of a week.

You definitely don't need a guild, let alone a big one, to partake of course. It's also nothing like your standard World PvP in MMOs like WoW...
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-02-15 at 09:07 PM.