Overclocking i5-2500k

Hi there, I've had my CPU for sometime, and just OC'd it. After tunning Prime95 for 30+ min and 5 passes of IntelBurnTest I'd like to just get my temps and the OC checked, I simply clicked the 'OC CPU' button in my Bios, but I think it may have done it in a non optimal way, as you'll see in the CPU Z screenshot. It's set the multiplier to 42, which is fine but also changed the bus speed from 100, I believe the bus speed should be kept at 100 and just change the multiplier? So got 4.3 I should set the mutliplier to 43 while keeping the bus speed at 100? Anywhere here are the screenies:

Hope these images are an acceptable size.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. What CPU heatsink are you using?
    2. Yes, OC CPU buttons/options are never optimal, best way to OC is learn to do it yourself.
    3. Yes, the bus should stay at 100MHz for Sandy/Ivy Bridge.
    4. Can you give a full detailed list of parts: Motherboard, RAM, power supply, and case?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail
    Asus P8P67 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION **
    G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL )
    COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 PLUS CPU COOLER
    Case I think is uhm......Antec 600 I think, the big Antec case with 2 front fans and a massive one on the top with a windowed side with a fan on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amagad! We have the same motherboard!

Here is a thread all about these motherboards and has an overclocking guide in the first post along with TONS of other resources.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1012874/t...es-owners-club
    "A flower.

The guide on there is for 4.8ghz, well the settings? Would it be viable to use those same settings but set on say a 4.3OC? Think 4.8 might be a bit more than I need for my gaming needs

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, didn't look it over completely. Was annoyed I couldn't find the one I used. =/

Most of the settings should be quite similar, to be honest. Just of course, your voltage will never be the same as someone else's.

Here's an official guide from Asus: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...nd-Information
    "A flower.

So yeah, basically put all the settings back to default and ONLY changed the multiplier to 43 and running stable at this:

Heat after running 10x interburntest:

Much prefer my Asrock mobo with my amd a-10 in, can just open the bias and select from a drop down of pre-stored settings for whatever OC I want, providing I can run it stable. 1 click 4.3Ghz

10+ Year Old Account
    Are those temps during prime95? If they are they're amazing. If they're not you should look at them during stress.

But yeah, nice overclock, you could go higher easily. 4.5ghz should be reachable with ease. Since you think 4.8 is overkill 4.5 should be a good number :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    So temps appear to be sitting in the 73-84 Celsius range.

I would not OC anymore at this point, as you're already fairly close to max TDP. (less than 20 degrees Celsius off.)

If you want to OC further, you'll have to get a better cooler, but 4.3GHz on an i5-2500K is not bad at all, very strong, and 1.31~v is good!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Are those temps during prime95? If they are they're amazing. If they're not you should look at them during stress.

But yeah, nice overclock, you could go higher easily. 4.5ghz should be reachable with ease. Since you think 4.8 is overkill 4.5 should be a good number :P.
    The screeny from temps was taken after the stress testing, at 100% load they were going from 70~ to 80~

Also, thanks for the heads up guys. Just wanted to confirm it wasn't too hot or anything
    Last edited by Fluffygong; 2013-02-19 at 05:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No gaming will push your CPU to those temps, so you're set! Enjoy!

Also, go to my CPU OC Leaderboard thread in my siggy if you want to join it! Check out the rules and everything - if your OC is Prime95 stable, I'd love to add you. ^_^
    "A flower.