Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Probably would've been best to explain that the comment was a joke and where it originated. I feel the best attitude to have in that situation is a friendly "eh, shit happens, let's try again." Kindness goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Really? You join LFD for the SOLE reason to help completely random strangers out? You go into LFD when Justice AND Valor capped, already clad in full epics, JUST to help random people from random servers? We're not talking new people in your guild, but 140% random players from LFD.

EDIT: I'm sorry, but it's just *REALLY* hard to believe someone joins LFD to help random people out of the goodness of their heart. Not saying it's impossible, just very, VERY improbable.
    I do this with lower level dungeons. I have locked at characters at regular intervals for the sole purpose of guiding and helping. I get a TON of gratitude, especially in the 50-60 range from people who really don't know the Blackrock dungeons. I just ask people pay the kindness forward.

People who use the terms "kid" or "son" in LFD/LFR are usually douchebags. I can understand why the tank quit if he didn't know you were quoting a movie.

To be honest, the first thing that comes to mind if I hear "Don't get cocky, kid" isn't Star Wars. It's that there's a douchebag in the group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    You're completely in the wrong. Who would get a reference like that lol?
    Well, I don't see how trying to be humorous is wrong.

Probably would've been best to explain that the comment was a joke and where it originated. I feel the best attitude to have in that situation is a friendly "eh, shit happens, let's try again." Kindness goes a long way.
    well i'm pretty sure they're saying it went like this

party wipes
    [Op]: Don't get cocky kid
    [Sissypants]: who me
    [Op]: ya
    [Sissypants]: WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME??? FIGHT ME IRL. DO YOU EVEN LIFT???
    [Op]: what the actual fuck
    Sissypants has left the raid group

I don't quite understand why you care if someone leaves?..

Edit: And also why people are saying you're wrong to have said it..

God forbid, asking somebody not to get cocky; after being cocky; to not do what they just did resulting in a wipe. The horror!...
    Last edited by Gephyrophobia; 2013-02-13 at 11:23 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I'm a picky tank as well.

I pull quick, efficiently, and expect people to keep up. My big difference is I only run with my wife as my healer, so this scenario doesn't happen.

What does happen is people get comfortable start pulling before me, or just play dumb. I am very quick to rage over this. They make a bad comment towards me, both wife and I leave.

I won't tolerate bad attitudes. All I ask is DPS let me do the pulling, and I'm fine. Yes, I am the type of tank that lets DPS die if they pull something, I will make every effort not to assist in anyway (including telling my wife not to heal).

That being said, just one negative comment usually isn't enough to throw me over. It's when they go on and on that I leave unless the other DPS step up and shut the person down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gephyrophobia View Post
    I don't quite understand why you care if someone leaves?..

Edit: And also why people are saying you're wrong to have said it..

God forbid, asking somebody not to get cocky; after being cocky; to not do what they just did resulting in a wipe. The horror!...
    It's the use of the word "kid" that makes that comment that much more insulting.

"You need to interrupt that spell" vs "You need to interrupt that spell, kid"

The only purpose of the word "kid" being there is to be insulting and condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    It's the use of the word "kid" that makes that comment that much more insulting.

"You need to interrupt that spell" vs "You need to interrupt that spell, kid"

The only purpose of the word "kid" being there is to be insulting and condescending.
    Er...
    And?..

I wouldn't have realized it was a Star Wars reference if you had not said so. As a line of text without context it just seems like you were gearing up to lecture and the tank dipped out instead of having to listen. Random groups are random. When I have a wierd experience I just move on really.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're a hypocrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Er...
    And?..
    There's a difference between asking someone to do something and framing it in a way that most people would interpret as a condescending insult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    Yeah? Why is that hard to believe. I love chain running a dung. My tank has about 550k hp. Could solo most heroics. I get a lot of thanks, and even sometimes a new friend.

This is a MMO just thought I would remind you. MMO= Massively Multi-player Online.
    Because, 99.9% of the time you go into LFD you either find silent people who do nothing but the necessary to get through the instance, people who just want to screw with and bug the other players, players who don't know their class and can't heal/dps/tank correctly...

I've been doing LFD at LEAST daily since it was implemented back in Wrath of the Lich King... and I have NEVER met someone like you claim to be. I'm just talking from my experience and from what I hear from other people in the guilds I've been part of, at the time.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

I don't see what's so bad about losing a horrible tank, waiting a few minutes for a new one, and then moving on with your life.

Anyone who can't see the error in mass pulling without paying a single second of attention to the group or the healer isn't going to get a joke and isn't worth keeping around.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    There's a difference between asking someone to do something and framing it in a way that most people would interpret as a condescending insult.
    Oh no, a minor insult. Let's hope the tank didn't cry himself to sleep over it.

Oh no, a minor insult. Let's hope the tank didn't cry himself to sleep over it.
    Well, since it was the person who made the comment who created this thread and not the tank who most likely quit and got an instant queue to another dungeon group without anyone calling him "kid", I'm sure the tank is fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hell, one time my RL said in vent "That's a great idea, Fenix" and my response was "Of course it was, I came up with it".

I think it pissed him off. Yeah, some people have ego issues indeed.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do it all the time. As does my girl. and my guild.
    Um Bullshit?
    inb4infraction

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    People have attitudes sometimes. It's easy to misinterpret the meaning behind text.
    It's really an interpersonal skills thing.

1) A person has to ID when something he or she is about to say may be potentially misinterpreted, and it's also a good idea to reassess during a situation where people might be edgy (like a wipe).

2) Because humor can be easily misinterpreted and thus volatile, if the other person doesn't get it rather quickly, it's a good idea to clarify quickly.

3) Any form of text - gaming, chat, phone, email - can be easily misinterpreted.

It's an area in our society that everyone needs to pay some attention to, because while all that capacity to yap is great, the capacity to F UP is exponentially higher now.

Humor can be great and help make quick friends, but it's a fork in the road that, going down the other road can be royal shit.
    Last edited by thebelltolleth; 2013-02-13 at 11:56 PM.

Deleted
    when your tank abandons you for a joke...
    I know dat feeling. In the army my tank just quit and... ooh this was about wow.
    No but srsly, whining about random HCs.........
    just, wow, seems like u really enjoy the game....

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brouhaha View Post
    People in full epics feel like they are doing you a favor by being there. and they are. no need to make comments
    Mr Big Britches pulled more than he could handle and handed everyone a repair bill.

So, yeah, I'm gonna go with no.

And they probably only had to wait a minute or two to get another tank, as an in-progress run has queue priority for tanks joining LFD, so it isn't like he sure showed them!

The fact that he didn't rage on you guys for him dying should have been enough of a sign of contrition, you making a comment simply rubbed salt in the wound.

I would have left for the same reason. This isn't overreacting, we just don't care about the group. My favorite LFD groups, are the ones that don't talk to each other. I don't even mind if you pull crap dps, just keep up, don't die to anything retarded and lets part company as quickly as possible.
    The more of my behavior you accept, the less you will have to forgive.