Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well, Ironforge on my server was still flocked with people all the way up until Cataclysm came about... It was entirely the portals that sealed its fate, and I imagine this was true for other servers as well.
    I'm sure it was. Just telling it from my experience (Trollbane/Daggerspine EU during TBC), Cataclysm most definitely sealed the cities fate, but (on my servers) it all began in TBC. Funny though, when I did want to duel I usually went to IF. But I personally mostly hang out in Shattrath back then because.. yeah.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Nope, the portals are only in SW. So are the transmogrifyers, reforgers etc. It's weird how Blizzard says they want to "get people back out into the world" and yet continues to put essential things like reforging only in one city.
    well this is wrong dearie !
    As of now Both Stormwind and Shrine of the Seven stars both have all the portals and Refroge/Transmogrification and more are available in both places !
    Shrine has Dalaran and Shat portals as well making it the best Option out there BUT the only problem is that there is no AH available in the Shrine of the seven stars for none-engineers
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻,

Stormwind doesn't have all the portals right?
    - It has a portal to the "provinces" from Cata
    - It has a portal to the portal of Outland
    - It has boat to Northrend and Elfcountry
    - It has a portal to Pandaria
    - has AH's

The Shrine has:
    - portals to all major cities
    - doesn't have any portals to anywhere else
    - doesn't have an AH

Quote Originally Posted by Populaire View Post
    When Stormwind became the main Alliance hub (portals, anything and everything important happened in Stormwind) back in Cata, I guess. And when they revamped the city and shortened the path between the main bank/auction house.. that sure helped.

I thought that people dueled in IF because during Vanilla it was the only location of Alliance battlesmasters short of visiting the actual BG portal itself.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Portals in Cataclysm changed it all.

/thread

However, I recall players duelling in both SW and IF in the old days.

I only think IF was so popular back in vanilla because it was very easy to get to blackrock mountain.

SW got inhabited right after blizzard introduced the change faction, alot of hordes changed faction, and with them used to hang out in durotar outside orgrimmar which is the capital city of the horde, they thought the alliance players were the same, and hanged out in elwynn forest instead.

Deleted
    Would be awesome to see some unique in each city. Spread out the "important" stuff. Like ships in SW, portals in Dalaran, mining and bs trainers in IF, herb in Darna... you get the point! For me that makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Getreuer View Post
    Would be awesome to see some unique in each city. Spread out the "important" stuff. Like ships in SW, portals in Dalaran, mining and bs trainers in IF, herb in Darna... you get the point! For me that makes perfect sense.
    It was like this in Vanilla right? You had some weapon trainers all over the world for specific things. You also had the best enchantmenttrainers in Darnassus etc.

And while this meant a lot of travelling that I liked very much, when Blizzard changed this it was met with a big "Hooray" from the playerbase. And sure I like that I don't have to do much effort. But the immersion (sorry to people who don't agree with me, but it is how I feel, suck it up) was better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeion
    Shrine has Dalaran and Shat portals as well making it the best Option out there BUT the only problem is that there is no AH available in the Shrine of the seven stars for none-engineers
    That wasn't a problem in Shattrath or Dalaran. However, both those cities were much larger, had profession trainers, dailies, and had PvP and PvE armor merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    It was like this in Vanilla right? You had some weapon trainers all over the world for specific things. You also had the best enchantmenttrainers in Darnassus etc.

And while this meant a lot of travelling that I liked very much, when Blizzard changed this it was met with a big "Hooray" from the playerbase. And sure I like that I don't have to do much effort. But the immersion (sorry to people who don't agree with me, but it is how I feel, suck it up) was better for me.
    I don't like having to travel everywhere just to do one menial thing. Going there once to do it is fine. Having to go back and back and back and back over and over again is damn annoying.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It's mainly a convenience thing. Since Classic, we'd have always been on another planet or continent, and based ourselves there (Outland & Northrend). When the Cataclysm struck, Stormwind became the main city of the Alliance, due to the services that it offered, mainly the portals.

Since Pandaria, that has remained, as access to other parts of the world is still easier through Stormwind.

I don't like having to travel everywhere just to do one menial thing. Going there once to do it is fine. Having to go back and back and back and back over and over again is damn annoying.
    Thats just because you look at the game differently then I do. I used to see it as less of a game but more as a real world. In the real world you also don't have all the luxury things at your disposal right next to you. And you would (atleast I would) not mind much if what you really wanted was a couple of miles away from your home if it meant something good.

In other words, I was truly immersed in the game. Perhaps to a unhealthy degree... but I did enjoy myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats just because you look at the game differently then I do. I used to see it as less of a game but more as a real world. In the real world you also don't have all the luxury things at your disposal right next to you. And you would (atleast I would) not mind much if what you really wanted was a couple of miles away from your home if it meant something good.

In other words, I was truly immersed in the game. Perhaps to a unhealthy degree... but I did enjoy myself.
    I love in game immersion.

I hate running the same path over and over and over again just to see the same worn ground pass beneath my feet. And if I have to do it, I want there to be an end in sight.

If blizzard wants to get us out into the world, it should be to different locations, not just the same ones. And if I have to run somewhere, I want to DO something there, not travel halfway across the map to click on the "train" tab of some NPC.

Don't go asserting that I don't like the aesthetics of an immersive world, I can probably get more anal about such things than anyone on these forums (and I have in the past.)
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Stormwind got all the perks.
    Howay the lads!

SW Became the main city when they moved the AH to SW back in Wrath. The only pull Ironforge ever had was that it had the AH. SW was always a better city, since IF was too hard to get to. It would have been the same if the only AH for Horde back in Vanilla and BC was in Thunder Bluff.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    SW Became the main city when they moved the AH to SW back in Wrath. The only pull Ironforge ever had was that it had the AH. SW was always a better city, since IF was too hard to get to. It would have been the same if the only AH for Horde back in Vanilla and BC was in Thunder Bluff.
    There was an auction house in SW before Wrath...
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it was placed slightly different. In IF you could run in a straight line from AH over a bridge to get to a mailbox and the bank behind that. In Stormwind you had to run around a corner and dodge a fountain to get to the bank.
    Surrounded by idiots

I love in game immersion.

I hate running the same path over and over and over again just to see the same worn ground pass beneath my feet. And if I have to do it, I want there to be an end in sight.

If blizzard wants to get us out into the world, it should be to different locations, not just the same ones. And if I have to run somewhere, I want to DO something there, not travel halfway across the map to click on the "train" tab of some NPC.

Don't go asserting that I don't like the aesthetics of an immersive world, I can probably get more anal about such things than anyone on these forums (and I have in the past.)
    Well before you do get anal about that (hehe), I did say in my first post that you replied to that we might differ on immersion. To each his own. I do get more "immersed" in that way. I never even thought it was annoying before and then they changed that. Well, I didn't complain about it - but I would never have complained about it being the way it was either.

15+ Year Old Account
    i play horde now and ironforge is my most missed city, ah the days of tbc/wrath.

I remember when Ironforge was the natural main capital of the Alliance, but Blizzard decided humans ought to have the honor, and so everything new that would appear did so in Stormwind, while Ironforge has remained as it is. It's a shame, but thankfully present day Stormwind isn't a bad city by any means.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

That would make sense, mining/blacksmith in IF, enchanting/? in Darnassus and so on. If they reverted now, people sure would cry because they are sooo LAZY. They want portals and convenience and ease. Blizzard is run by non-gamers and few no-longer-gamers.