Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Australia, Queensland] Sex offenders release to be appealed

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...eleased-in-qld

After spending almost half his life in jail, one of Queensland's most notorious sex offenders will have to wait a little longer to see if he will be released.

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie will lodge an appeal on Thursday morning against a Supreme Court decision to set Robert John Fardon free.
    Justice Debbie Mullins decided Fardon should be released as any risks to the community could be managed.
    She imposed 34 conditions for his release.

Her reasoning did not convince Mr Bleijie, who will apply for an immediate stay of the order to release the 64-year-old serial rapist.
    Mr Bleijie has also instructed Crown Law to appeal the Supreme Court decision to release Fardon from jail.
    Child protection advocates, and former victims have denounced the decision by Brisbane Supreme Court Judge Debbie Mullins to release Fardon on Thursday afternoon.

Bravehearts founder Hetty Johnson says Justice Mullins' decision trashes the notion of community safety.
    "Fardon is not a changed man; he's a psychopath.
    "He's only ever going to be one breath away from snapping ... and will be back in jail in 12 months."

Keep the bastard in jail
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

What are the 34 conditions?

Does Ms Johnson know anything about his rehabilitation and risk management or does she just want to keep him locked up? What is Braveheart?

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as we're using this system there is not much else we can do. The point of the prison system is rehabilitation, eventually you've got to give someone a chance to be rehabilitated and then you release them back into the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    As long as we're using this system there is not much else we can do. The point of the prison system is rehabilitation, eventually you've got to give someone a chance to be rehabilitated and then you release them back into the community.
    In the US they can have restrictions like, leg monitor, can not drive alone, not allowed near parks/school/church, living/working restrictions, curfew, restrictions on what you can watch, and a list of other things. So there is that on top of rehabilitation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    In the US they can have restrictions like, leg monitor, can not drive alone, not allowed near parks/school/church, living/working restrictions, curfew, restrictions on what you can watch, and a list of other things. So there is that on top of rehabilitation.
    Oh we have all that too, those things are all part of the 34 conditions of his release.

I wish it would work always..but a man can dream though, a man can dream.

I know this isn't the situation here, but what do we do with a psychopathic killer? Psychopathy is not something that can be cured, which renders rehabilitation attempts ineffective, I would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I know this isn't the situation here, but what do we do with a psychopathic killer? Psychopathy is not something that can be cured, which renders rehabilitation attempts ineffective, I would think.
    That's where the current prison system fails to do it's job, it's supposed to be all about rehabilitation but obviously we can't rehabilitate everyone. Some people are just crazy. So those people have to say locked up for ever. In the end life in prison is just the death penalty except the weapon is time, but it's the only thing you can do sometimes.

Is that for Australia? Because in America, prison and jail (two different things) are meant to keep civilians safe, not for rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Is that for Australia? Because in America, prison and jail (two different things) are meant to keep civilians safe, not for rehab.
    Both technically. While its supposed to 'rehabilitate' prisoners, it keeps people safe. Fails on part A most the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

That is not in the mission statement

i want to believe this, i sincerely do. i just dont though. i admit it is probable that my own prejudices prevent me from thinking dudes like this are redeemable
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

I don't understand how people accept giving the offender a 2nd chance, when he refused to give the victims a 2nd chance of not being offended.

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    I don't understand how people accept giving the offender a 2nd chance, when he refused to give the victims a 2nd chance of not being offended.

Well can't we say the same thing of every convict, they didnt give someone a 2nd chance before they stole, they didn't reconsider before buying/selling those drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Well can't we say the same thing of every convict, they didnt give someone a 2nd chance before they stole, they didn't reconsider before buying/selling those drugs.
    I was talking in general, i don't believe of a 2nd chance for criminals if it involved a life or sexual assault. Anything else i do not mind of giving 2nd chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    I was talking in general, i don't believe of a 2nd chance for criminals if it involved a life or sexual assault. Anything else i do not mind of giving 2nd chance.
    With that we get to the point where we are locking people up for life if they were defending themselves, affected by questionable laws, or wrongfully accused and pursued by the government

Just another example of our government wasting money on degenerates instead of executing 'em. This asshole should be given as much of a chance as he gave to his victims.
    Last edited by haloa; 2013-02-14 at 11:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haloa View Post
    Just another example of our government wasting money on degenerates instead of executing 'em. This asshole should be given as much of a chance as he gave to his victims.
    Im guessing none?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious. What's the difference? I always thought they were just 2 different translations for our own word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    I'm curious. What's the difference? I always thought they were just 2 different translations for our own word.
    Both have the same meaning of term, its just said differently