Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Hi,

I would like to recommend you to go and clean dust from your CPU but not with vacuum cleaner, go to the pump station or to the guys with tires and with high pressure compressor clean it. Dont know if you already did that.

Regards

10+ Year Old Account
    If you get a Q6600 you can successfully overclock it to 3.4ghz as long as you got proper cooling As for the Core 2 Duo I do not know how much that will overclock. TBH though you should get if you can a new processor, mobo and ram for the biggest improvement.

According to e.g. this link http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...4500-overclock I can OC this up to 3Ghz. Will try step by step. By step I mean 200.

I don't remeber what MB I have. Can't check it right now. Will check when I get back home.

10+ Year Old Account
    go to the pump station or to the guys with tires and with high pressure compressor clean it
    While we haven't really discussed heat issues, it would be a good thing to check using HWMonitor.

However, if you DO want to clean your cpu fan... I would not recommend this. A high pressure compressor is not something to be used by a non-professional, and spinning the fan too fast under it's power can actually damage the fan, or components. Not only that, but lugging your computer outside, into a car, to a gas station is... silly.

if you want to clean out the CPU fan, simply buy a $2-$3 can of compressed air, and hold the fan blades still while you blow out the heatsink out. You can use a thin vacuum nozzle to keep it dust free.

High pressure compressors can be certainly handy, IF you know what you're doing. I've worked in repair for a decade, and know how to use it. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't done it before.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 02:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    According to e.g. this link http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...4500-overclock I can OC this up to 3Ghz.
    Based off that, given your motherboard allows, you should be golden. 50c is perfectly fine.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

How much OC depends on motherboard?

10+ Year Old Account
    How much OC depends on motherboard?
    Generally no, but not all motherboards support overclocking.

tbh, i would say you have 2 options.

1. overclock the cpu
    2. replace the motherboard, cpu and processor

overclocking the cpu will cost you nothing, but results will be marginal at best.

replacing the motherboard, processor and memory, will not only drastically improve your rig for around 100 bucks, but it'll also allow for more upgrades in the future. (you can always upgrade other parts later when you have the cash to do so, as you would now have the motherboard to support faster drives, memory and graphics cards)
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    While we haven't really discussed heat issues, it would be a good thing to check using HWMonitor.

However, if you DO want to clean your cpu fan... I would not recommend this. A high pressure compressor is not something to be used by a non-professional, and spinning the fan too fast under it's power can actually damage the fan, or components. Not only that, but lugging your computer outside, into a car, to a gas station is... silly.

if you want to clean out the CPU fan, simply buy a $2-$3 can of compressed air, and hold the fan blades still while you blow out the heatsink out. You can use a thin vacuum nozzle to keep it dust free.

High pressure compressors can be certainly handy, IF you know what you're doing. I've worked in repair for a decade, and know how to use it. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't done it before.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 02:38 AM ----------

Based off that, given your motherboard allows, you should be golden. 50c is perfectly fine.
    I did it 1000 times and was always carrying PC in the car, air compressor cant harm the fun at all and you dont need to be doing that more than 20 secs, so realy imo its safe method, even guys from PC service did it and recomended me that.

But i beleive heating was the problem due to dust on the thing between processor and fun, i had same problem and this solved it. Nothing cost you to try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathrider View Post
    I did it 1000 times and was always carrying PC in the car, air compressor cant harm the fun at all and you dont need to be doing that more than 20 secs, so realy imo its safe method, even guys from PC service did it and recomended me that.

But i beleive heating was the problem due to dust on the thing between processor and fun, i had same problem and this solved it. Nothing cost you to try.
    To me, high pressure air compressor means 150+ PSI. If you don't do it right, it will spin the bearings right off the fan.

Lugging a computer to a car and then to the gas station doesn't sound like a reasonable idea. Compressed air would do fine.

Or do i what i do and have a 200 PSI air compressor handy xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    To me, high pressure air compressor means 150+ PSI. If you don't do it right, it will spin the bearings right off the fan.

Lugging a computer to a car and then to the gas station doesn't sound like a reasonable idea. Compressed air would do fine.

Or do i what i do and have a 200 PSI air compressor handy xD.
    I mean on air compresors on the gass stations with which you can pump your tires, and ok if you dont agree with me, how you are clearing dust from it because you cant do that with vacuum cleaner or anything simillar, and i doubt you will take whole CPU together with fun and clean it manually..

Sorry didnt see you have handy compressor.. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as overclocking goes, I've OC-d my E6300 from stock 1.86 GHz to 2.8 GhZ and I got roughly a 5 fps increase. Even though the stock is slower, the E6300 is a better processor than the E4500 (barely). The biggest improvement for me in 25 mans was replacing Recount with Skada.

It's still annoyingly choppy (15-20 fps) in 25 mans, but runs just fine in 10 mans.

As far as being too old for games, don't be silly. We're not advising you build a top-of-the-line gaming rig, just that for 30-40 euro more than you were planning to spend, you can get a massive improvement in performance. And it will make a difference in everything else you do on your computer as well (HD video, etc).

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 11:16 AM ----------

As to cleaning fans, meh. I just take them off the heatsinks and use my vacuum with a brush attachment. As long as I'm not rubbing it on the motherboard, I think the chance of static breaking anything is ridiculously remote.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

I use Skada, Elvui and DBM. That's all during raid. I'll try OC it today. And if that does not work, I'll buy new parts. You convinced me

@kojinshugi
    What do you recommend? DDR3 4gb, mATX S1155, Pentium G850 - must be exactly these components? Are there any equivalents? This is best ratio: improvement / price?
    Last edited by dzidek; 2013-02-14 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Your GPU can still pick up the slack your CPU leaves.
    This is false, btw. OCing the GPU wont help you when the CPU is your bottleneck.

And if you OC your CPU to max stable clocks with the stock fan your CPU will likely die within a year. (i didnt read that thread, just saying)

try to keep your temps <63C

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Skada, Elvui and DBM. That's all during raid. I'll try OC it today. And if that does not work, I'll buy new parts. You convinced me

@kojinshugi
    What do you recommend? DDR3 4gb, mATX S1155, Pentium G850 - must be exactly these components? Are there any equivalents? This is best ratio: improvement / price?
    G840 or G850, whichever you can find cheapest. Don't know what country you're in so can't give any precise components.

I found this motherboard for 35 euro - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H61MU-E35--B3-.html

Any reputable RAM manufacturer is fine for the memory - Kingston, G-Skill, Crucial, A-Data. 4gb will cost from 15-20 euros.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

I'm from Poland.

10+ Year Old Account
    did you try looking into something that improves your connection with the server, I know there is software out there that can reorder/reprioritize data packets so that gaming is 1st, or you could by a killer nic card.....I'd look into the software 1st though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm from Poland.
    You're in luck, Poland has great prices on components.

Motherboard: http://emarket.pl/p%C5%82yty-g%C5%82...ulk/p-c6520242

CPU: http://emarket.pl/procesory/intel-pe...719/p-c6301791

RAM: http://emarket.pl/cz%C4%99%C5%9Bci-k...imm/p-c9851578

Total price: 492,68 PLN with tax. 119 euros.

EDIT: corrected the RAM, I accidentally linked to laptop RAM originally.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Halabash View Post
    did you try looking into something that improves your connection with the server, I know there is software out there that can reorder/reprioritize data packets so that gaming is 1st, or you could by a killer nic card.....I'd look into the software 1st though.
    He has FPS issues, not lag issues.
    Last edited by kojinshugi; 2013-02-14 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    That RAM is meant for notebooks.

Hmm this motherboard supports also I3, I5 and I7 procesor. Looks nice. And price is acceptable. Thanks for help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    That RAM is meant for notebooks.
    I can't read polish lol, so I guessed while sorting it, and didn't notice the SODIMM. Good catch.

http://emarket.pl/cz%C4%99%C5%9Bci-k...imm/p-c9851578