Ketogenic Diet??

Can someone tell me exactly what you do I know you basically eat no carbs but what else also have a few questions:

1) Is this "diet" safe/healthy to go on (I'm already eating healthy just want to lose some extra weight a bit quicker than I am atm)
    2) Do I have to drink any shakes or shit like that?
    3) Anyone on it atm that can tell me more about it and how fast it speeds up weight loss etc again i'm only looking to shed the extra couple of pounds and yes I know that losing weight fast can cause like loose skin or whatever.

thx

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

Mod Warning: Please be more constructive posting only a link doesn't help.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-06-29 at 09:30 PM.

I've tried it before, wouldn't recommend it. It puts unnecessary stress on your kidneys and liver (due to increased amino acid catabolism). Muscle loss is to be expected as well (even more so without exercise). The brain normally uses glucose for fuel but it has to make do with ketone bodies (these are fatty acid breakdown products) while on a ketogenic diet - speaking from experience, this isn't exactly... optimal - I was having constant headaches due to low blood sugar levels.

Also, if you have a family history of kidney stones or gout, do _not_ go on a ketogenic diet - metabolic acidosis (ketone bodies act as acids, lowering blood pH) is a risk factor in these conditions.

There are far safer alternatives out there. Sport should be your first and best choice. If you absolutely insist on changing your diet, try a low-GI one, it should be much safer and healthier.

The principles are sound, it's effective, and you don't have to eat or drink anything particularly weird. I used a variation about 8 years back, when I was a bit on the chubby side, and weight fell off substantially faster than anything else I've observed.

That said, it's not a good long term strategy.

I've not read any studies to show it's more effective than simply operating at a caloric deficit. Eliminating things like glucose from your diet altogether strikes me as potentially dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I've not read any studies to show it's more effective than simply operating at a caloric deficit.
    I'm under the impression that ketogenesis results in appetite suppression, which makes it easier to run a caloric deficit. There is, of course, no magic formula that turns calories into not calories, but some diets make it a lot easier to cut them.

I would highly recommend you check out the link jechapk suggested, if only to read (and bookmark) the FAQ. There are many misconceptions about keto, but it is completely safe and very effective. The main thing to understand is that you have to drink a ton of water if you want it to be safe and effective. It is hard at first, and many people get what's called "keto flu" and suffer from headaches and body aches for the first few weeks. I never had much issue with this, except for when I cheat around the holidays. It's harder than it sounds, you really should have a plan in place before you start and you'll want to get rid of anything around the house that could tempt you. Do yourself a favor and avoid diet sodas, just stick with water and let the craving pass. Bacon and eggs are my main staple, and they're an easy meal. I also love to have a huge bowl of kale with ranch dressing and sharp cheddar chunks. This isn't a miracle weight loss solution, it takes willpower and you have to cook instead of eating out. It's very hard to find keto-friendly meals at fast food places. The first time I started keto, I lost over 20 pounds in a few months. This was combined with going to the gym 3 times a week. I reached my weight loss goal quickly, but stayed on keto long-term because I knew the weight would just come back if I stopped. Now I'm in the best shape of my life. If you do it right, you'll lose the weight quick but if you're going to stop doing keto after you reach your goal you'll need a plan to not gain it back.

Fine, I understand this is just a sub-forum of a video game-related site, but giving the topic the scientific method treatment won't hurt.

Here's a comprehensive study, decide for yourself: link
    I'm very much against the diet myself (especially in the long term), but if you insist on doing it, consult your physician first. Anecdotal evidence is anything but safe.