Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's with the (media) fascination and Danica Patrick?

As the title states, I'm curious as to why Danica Patrick is as popular as she is. According to the wikipedia article, she's won exactly one race (Indycar), and I don't remember hearing about her placing very well in the NASCAR events that she participates in. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow NASCAR *at all*, but I can't figure out why she's so damn popular. I can't foresee being a woman hindering her abilities...driving a car... and I don't find her to be attractive (subjective, obviously, but...)...so...help me out here. Is it just a case of the media being dumb and needing to fill air time?

I haven't even heard that name in ages. o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Never heard of her, sorry Iced. It sounds like she's a racecar driver and I don't want to make any...stereotypes about race car driving or anything so I'll just leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard that name before.... But maybe because I don't care about Nascar... Driving around in an oval isn't exactly what triggers my interest in motorsport.
    I'm more a F1 guy.

Yet I can see fascination for Women, who have a successful part in a sport that's considered a men's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yet I can see fascination for Women, who have a successful part in a sport that's considered a men's world.
    See, I could understand this popularity if she's playing alongside LeBron James or something, but...she's driving a car. I can't imagine being female would hinder or help racing a car.

Really surprised that no one that has responded has heard of her before. I hear about her all the damn time, and it drives me crazy. Maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive to hearing about her, but I remember hearing about her almost as much as the winner of the race, and that's very irritating.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fascination about her I think started back when she was still in IndyCar, people going "OMG A WOMAN RACING CARS", and it really upped when she laps in the Indy 500. She also got some hype when she won her first race in 2008, albeit it was due to fuel strategy and not sheer race dominance. The latest hype about her is from her recent new fling she's getting on with fellow rookie Ricky Stenhouse Jr. And ironically, even though she hasn't won anything since that '08 win, she gets the hype because she seems to have had the most success out of all the female race car drivers in all the racing series out there.

It's in a way kind of like all of the hype Dale Earnhardt Jr. gets just because of his father, albeit for the gender reason, but Dale Jr. has actually won more races than Danica.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-02-15 at 05:14 AM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

She's hot and is successful in a sport where almost no females are present, she also just got pole position at Daytona meaning more overhyping to come. Second to Michele Mouton, Danica is perhaps the most successful female racing driver of our time.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    She finished 10th in Nationwide last year and won one pole, Daytona. The only thing right now that makes her "popular" is her appearance, both physical, and her commercials. That's it. Everybody's going crazy because she won the pole at Daytona this year. Mark my words, she'll be lucky to finish in the top 20.

So, to answer your question, I have no freaking clue.

Ya I saw that too that she came in first in a pole and she's the first person to do that.

Wtf are they talking about? What's a pole? Like she's a stripper? Do they mean she won a poll like an election?

??? Fill me in I'm not into racecar driving. (Although my grandparents live in Florida so I could easily go see stuffs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Ya I saw that too that she came in first in a pole and she's the first person to do that.
    She's the first woman to do so; the previous record for a woman is 9th.

Wtf are they talking about? What's a pole? Like she's a stripper? Do they mean she won a poll like an election?
    It's the starting position. If you won the pole, as she did, she'll have a couple car lengths advantage when the race starts, iirc.

??? Fill me in I'm not into racecar driving. (Although my grandparents live in Florida so I could easily go see stuffs.)
    I don't know much, but that's my limited knowledge. All I'm saying is this: the day of the NBA All-Star game, SportsCenter had 9 minutes of Danica Patrick before they discussed the All-Star game. Really...?

i dont know who exactly that is but im going to assume its that rqacing girl that shows up in commericals all the time and is pretty much
    "derrr pretty lady liek drive car"
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, forgot. She's also dating Ricky Stenhouse Jr., who's with Rousch and is taking over Matt Kenseth's spot driving the 17 car. It's a big deal because they're both full-time Sprint racers this year. No other sport can really claim this, where two competitors are dating each other.

They were debating this on Mike & Mike yesterday when I was driving. Apparently her average finish is 19th or something, so I have no idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's with the fascination?

She's an extremely attractive professional racecar driver. The media goes nuts over it because she looks good in the headlines.

Also, she just recently qualified #1 for the Daytona 500.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    she is hot and T/A sells.

anna kournikova is a prime example.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    As the title states, I'm curious as to why Danica Patrick is as popular as she is. According to the wikipedia article, she's won exactly one race (Indycar), and I don't remember hearing about her placing very well in the NASCAR events that she participates in. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow NASCAR *at all*, but I can't figure out why she's so damn popular. I can't foresee being a woman hindering her abilities...driving a car... and I don't find her to be attractive (subjective, obviously, but...)...so...help me out here. Is it just a case of the media being dumb and needing to fill air time?

she is in a sport dominated by men, and she is hot.... why else do u think they care?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's funny that people are actually making a big deal about her winning the pole. As if she had anything to do with that whatsoever. The makers of the car/engine won the pole. She won't finish in the top 20 in Daytona.

So, Dale Jr.... how many races did he win in a four year period. ZERO. Why on earth is he the most popular driver? Cuz of his dad? cuz he wears wranglers and throws football with Brett Favre? Cuz he represents a lifestyle? Keep in mind I don't watch or follow racing except what I see on ESPN SC.

Is this gonna be a thread where people gawk at the idea of sex appeal? Cuz that's the predominate reason.

Secondarily is the sports story itself. People like firsts... Breaking records, racial barriers, gender barriers, etc

That clear it up?

Is your intent:
    Discuss the 24 hr news cycle and its affects on headline content?

Attention she's gained not worth her merits? If so, we could discuss any number of musicians who figure out you can put crazy makeup or clothes on to differentiate themselves to become more popular. How on earth some of these reality stars gain attention boggles my mind. She certainly possesses more talent than that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    she is hot and T/A sells.

anna kournikova is a prime example.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    she is in a sport dominated by men, and she is hot.... why else do u think they care?
    As stated in the OP, I don't find her to be attractive, and I know many that don't find her to be, either (I've even heard her be referred to as "Manica Patrick"). In regards to T/A, I don't remember her wearing a revealing swimsuit and putting her boobs in your face; sure, she's advertised with GoDaddy, who basically does that, but I remember the other actresses doing so, not her.

Quote Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
    So, Dale Jr.... how many races did he win in a four year period. ZERO. Why on earth is he the most popular driver? Cuz of his dad? cuz he wears wranglers and throws football with Brett Favre? Cuz he represents a lifestyle? Keep in mind I don't watch or follow racing except what I see on ESPN SC.
    And I agree with you. He hasn't won, so he doesn't deserve that much attention.

Is this gonna be a thread where people gawk at the idea of sex appeal? Cuz that's the predominate reason.
    That's about the only reason I can come up with. Can you think of anything else?

Secondarily is the sports story itself. People like firsts... Breaking records, racial barriers, gender barriers, etc
    The excitement of...winning a pole? It's about as exciting as posting "FIRST!" in a thread.

That clear it up?
    Not really.

Is your intent:
    Discuss the 24 hr news cycle and its affects on headline content?
    No, she's been racing a bit longer than that, I just never got around to making a thread about it before now. I had just as much issue with it then as I do now.

Attention she's gained not worth her merits? If so, we could discuss any number of musicians who figure out you can put crazy makeup or clothes on to differentiate themselves to become more popular. How on earth some of these reality stars gain attention boggles my mind. She certainly possesses more talent than that lot.
    I suppose we could, but I'd like to keep the discussion about Danica, or at the very least, athletes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    The excitement of...winning a pole? It's about as exciting as posting "FIRST!" in a thread.
    To be fair, it can qualify you for the All-Star Race (I think), where the prize for winning is a million dollars. And you get bonus points for poles, though not much. Achievement-wise, it means nothing, but it's a small bonus in the sport itself.