Poll: Gandalf vs Dumbledore

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Gandalf needed hobbits to destroy a cursed ring, the hobbit of his choosing would have failed if it weren't for circumstances beyond Frodo's control.
    Dumbledore destroyed a cursed ring with a sword.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Does Dumbledore have access to the Sorcerer's Stone, Cloak of Invisibility, and the Elder Wand? If so, Dumbledore.
    So if I had access to the Hiroshima Bomb (any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!), I'd be a powerful magician? Or... maybe, I just know how to wield a magic item...

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Gandalf needed hobbits to destroy a cursed ring, the hobbit of his choosing would have failed if it weren't for circumstances beyond Frodo's control.
    This is no ordinary ring; it's not even "just a cursed ring" - you can think of it as Sauron's phylactery; it was forged in the fires of Mount Doom under extraordinary temperatures and pressures and it's unclear if even a dragon's breath would be able to ruin it. Gimli's axe didn't come near harming it; nothing in the world could harm the ring - other than the fires of Mount Doom.

Any of the other rings of power, on the other hand, could probably be destroyed in much more mundane fashion.

Gandalf was tasked with getting Middle-Earth to save itself. He was specifically forbidden to take power, which is why he ends up casting Saruman out of the order - Saruman tried to wield power over others.

However, based on the books, Dumbledore again as he has a wand that can not be defeated. It would be an epic battle, but Gandalf would have to disarm an incredibly powerful duelist, and head master of a Wizarding school versed in all manner of magic.
    If the wand is unbeatable then how does it pass from wizard to wizard? If it is unbeatable how did Dumbledore defeat Grindelwald?
    The point is, Dumbledore is only able to wield magic when he has a wand, Gandalf doesn't need anything to do so. Also, Dumbledore never had all 3 Hallows at once, he gave up the cloak to harry before he acquired the resurrection stone(Master of Death point invalid).

Gandalf didn't need Hobbits to do anything. As I've already explained, he was forbidden from intervening directly and "matching Sauron's power with power" as Manwe said. He could have, he just would have payed for it later for breaking his oath.

The One Ring wasn't cursed. It contained the soul of Sauron, the greatest of the Maiar. Destroying it required either a force greater than Sauron or destroying it where it was made. I highly doubt any cursed ring that Dumbledore destroyed would have required a similar amount of effort. Or are you implying that Dumbledore has the power to destroy the moon in one blow with a sword?
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2013-02-15 at 03:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gandalf. It's just not a fair fight. Read the Silmarillion and you'll know why. The movies reveal jack shit about Gandalfs true power.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    i voted dumbledore, but i havent read all of the LoTR books (yet) and the ones i did read was well over 10 years ago (i was 11). so my knowledge regarding gandalfs power is basically from the films, and a vague memory that gandalf did more cool stuff in the books.

if what your all saying about gandalfs power is true though, i may have to change my mind. (but dumbledore is still badass and i wanna name my kid albus percival wulfric brian cos if you can succeed with a name like that, you know your hardcore)

Gandalf for me. He is cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gandalf, and it wouldn't even be close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dumbledore bcoz he's just a human and to me that's way more badass than being an overpowered immortal god bullshit...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Dumbledore bcoz he's just a human and to me that's way more badass than being an overpowered immortal god bullshit...
    That's all fair, but he's still gotta win first. Won't happen. Gandalf would lay it down HAM.

As it stand evaluating them seperately.....Dumbledore is more powerful because he lives in what I would clasify as a "high magic" realm. Conversly, Galdalf is in a "low magic" realm. If we were to equalize the realms, then Galdalf would be superior due to his origin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    As it stand evaluating them seperately.....Dumbledore is more powerful because he lives in what I would clasify as a "high magic" realm. Conversly, Galdalf is in a "low magic" realm. If we were to equalize the realms, then Galdalf would be superior due to his origin.
    Couldn't really say it any better than this. Dumbledore is really good at the flashy, fancy magicking, but Gandalf is pretty much a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    LOTRs is not a low magic realm. Read the Silmarillion. Your perception of Gandalf is colored due to his oath. He literally chooses to just not use his powers out of respect for Eru and Manwe.

You argument is invalid.....

If you don't think it's Gandalf your crazy . Gandalf killed a balrog ...Dumbledore could not even kill off that pansy tom riddle he had to kill attempt to kill the shards of his soul which he failed at ...then harry potter easily defeats him in a wand battle ( making harry potter much more powerful then Dumbledore ) ...I like Dumbeleydoor but Gandalf would kick his arse .

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    If you don't think it's Gandalf your crazy . Gandalf killed a balrog ...Dumbledore could not even kill off that pansy tom riddle he had to kill attempt to kill the shards of his soul which he failed at ...then harry potter easily defeats him in a wand battle ( making harry potter much more powerful then Dumbledore ) ...I like Dumbeleydoor but Gandalf would kick his arse .
    And balrogs are notorisly hard to kill. (apart from that one time in Gondolin)

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't take the ring, because if he did and it corrupted him, shit would most definitely hit the fan.
    Surrounded by idiots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Gandalf. It's just not a fair fight. Read the Silmarillion and you'll know why. The movies reveal jack shit about Gandalfs true power.
    So much this, it's not even a close fight, or a fair fight. Gandalf will win hands down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    Based purely off the movies... Dumbledore, as it would appear Gandalf is a wizard without magic... I mean in the moves the best spell he comes up with is a lightbulb on a stick.
    That's what I thought as well, the first few times I watched it. But then I started to look closer.

Gandalf does use some kind of magic shield to block the Balrog's attacks. And the Balrog is one of the strongest enemies they ever meet, stronger than the Nazgul, so that shield must be quite powerful. Then he uses some kind of blast wave to break down the bridge of Khazad-dum so the Balrog falls down the pit. Later on in the battle we notice that he enchants or empowers his sword with fire and lightning so that he can even begin to damage the Balrog. In the end he wins, though it claims his life. He gets send back by the god of creation to fulfill his duty, now empowered to be the head of the order of wizards.

At the battle for Helms Deep and when Gondor's army is retreating from Osgiliath, Gandalf uses blinding light to protect the armies.

He also breaks Saruman's staff and robs him of his powers. As the new head of the order, he can do that.

But yeah, Gandalf doesn't do a whole lot of spectacular things in the LotR trilogy. In the first Hobbit movie he does more than the LotR trilogy combined though. Lots more blast waves and firebolts and such.

But what does Dumbledore do? Not a whole lot either. I think Gandalf wins this clearly.

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 01:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Gandalf doesn't use his magic most of the time because he promised his father that he wouldn't. It's not that he can't, it's that he chooses not to. He was sent to Middle Earth as an adviser, not a god to solve all their problems and do everything for the mortals.
    Yeah, this as well. Gandalf is more of a guide, he tries his best not to use his powers too much. He wants the mortal races to protect themselves, but he helps them along the way.
    Last edited by mmoceb1605b3cd; 2013-02-15 at 12:16 PM.

Deleted
    Gandalf, just because Dumbledore (and the rest of the Harry Potter characters) are so poorly written.