Poll: Gandalf vs Dumbledore

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    If Gandalf limits himself to the powers and fighting skills shown in the movies Dumbledore probably has a chance, although Gandalf might also win, depending on circumstances.

If Gandalf uses his full power, which was not seen in the movies, Dumbledore would wisely not even start to duel.

By the way, Dumbledore is one of the very few wizards who can use magic without a wand. And he is probably the only one to ever obtain the Elder Wand in a fair duel, without deception. Gandalf is of course ultimately much more powerful, but please don't underestimate Dumbledore

fanboys vs fanboys...

Gandalf. His badassness is way higher than Dumbledores.

Quote Originally Posted by Hb View Post
    fanboys vs fanboys...
    Welcome to the Internet!

IMO Gandalf will win if he would use his full powers

Dumbledore is just some old headmaster

voted dumbledore because i want some of that living candy.
    i mean seriously, how can someone who eats living candy not be awesome?
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Deleted
    Elminster!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dumbledore obviously...can gandalf even cast spells? :S I barely paid any attention to lotr but the only "spells" i noticed him cast were a shiny light out of his staff and making a bridge crumble (which logically speaking could have been caused by the giant monster jumping on it rather than his supposed magical powers -.-)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    If you don't think it's Gandalf your crazy . Gandalf killed a balrog ...Dumbledore could not even kill off that pansy tom riddle he had to kill attempt to kill the shards of his soul which he failed at ...then harry potter easily defeats him in a wand battle ( making harry potter much more powerful then Dumbledore ) ...I like Dumbeleydoor but Gandalf would kick his arse .
    so much harry potter wrongness here...

dumbledore is MUCH more powerful than harry. the only reason harry can beat voldemort is because voldemorts and harry's souls are intertwined. harry is a good wizard, but he is only truly powerful against voldemort.

and dumbledore didnt have to go killing voldemorts horcruxes because he was too weak to fight him... its because if he didnt, voldemort would just come back again.

Deleted
    Well I don't really like Harry Potter so I'm gonna say Gandalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Dumbledore obviously...can gandalf even cast spells? :S I barely paid any attention to lotr but the only "spells" i noticed him cast were a shiny light out of his staff and making a bridge crumble (which logically speaking could have been caused by the giant monster jumping on it rather than his supposed magical powers -.-)
    Comments like this really make me want to kick Peter Jackson in the balls. That's right up there with the misconception that the Witch King can only be killed by a woman.

1. The movies nerf Gandalf.

2. Even in the books, Gandalf nerfs himself, because God and the king of the Valar told him not to crunk everything in sight with his awesome powers. He doesn't actually use magic though. Wizard and magic are terms made up by the common folk of Middle Earth to try and gives things beyond their understanding a label that makes sense to them. Gandalf changes reality, his powers are far beyond magic.

3. When I say Gandalf can do things like destroy the moon, and shatter dimensions, I'm not joking or exaggerating. Aside from Eru Iluvatar, (the literal Christian god) the 4 most powerful beings in LOTRs are, in this order, Manwe, Gandalf and Morgoth/Sauron. And before anyone that thinks they know the lore says that all the Valar are stronger than Gandalf, and that Morgoth was the strongest Vala and Sauron was the strongest Maia, that's incorrect. Evil weakens overtime in LOTRs, (Tolkien said so) and as of the Fourth Age it's been over 10,000 years since Morgoth and Sauron fell. Morgoth lost more power than Sauron, and Tolkien stated they're now equal as a result. And Gandalf was nearly equal with the Valar, (as was Sauron, their power was very close) before he got the power boost of becoming Gandalf the White. Also, Sauron didn't die at the end of LOTRs, Tolkien intended to write another book, but he died before he could finish it. The final book was going to detail Dagor Dagorath, the "battle of battles" where Morgoth shatters his dimensional prison, blows up the sun and moon, and then he and Sauron return to Arda for one last battle, which they lose.

After evil is defeated, Eru remakes the planet.

This entire post is written comparing the movies alone.

Comparing the two as Wizards, Dumbledore by far. Wizards in the Harry Potter universe are considerably different than in Lord of the Rings (based on the movies and some of the wiki stuff I've read - I've yet to make it very far in the actual LoTR books).

Comparing the two as powerful beings, Gandalf would win. Gandalf is of an entirely separate race that is both physically larger and stronger (which is why Gandalf fights primarily with a sword), and intellectually. The wizards in LotR (There's four or five of them total, I believe, though we've only seen 3 on screen (the gray, the white and the brown - I think there might be a blue)) are essentially demigods, and come from a different realm than the men of Middle Earth (I might have butchered that a bit). They likely have powers that far exceed the capabilities of a "Wizard."

Comparing the two as mentors, definitely Dumbledore. Gandalf's likeable in his own right, but never really teaches any life lessons. Granted Dumbledore IS the headmaster of a school that teaches young children, and it's kind of expected for him to teach both in an academic (for wizards, of course) way and a moral, life-lessons sort of way.

Also bear in mind that death doesn't necessarily mean the end for Wizards. Many wizards choose to live on as a living picture, which sure, leaves them completely incorporeal and powerless, but still able to communicate. This is what Dumbledore chose to do. His death was also planned (by him), for anyone only vaguely familiar with the series through pop culture, in conjunction with Snape to save Draco's soul (killing permanently damages the soul in the wizarding world, and Voldemorte was pressuring Draco to kill Dumbledore to prove his worth and loyalty, despite Draco's unsureness). They did this so that Snape could take on the mantle of Headmaster under the guise as one of Voldemorte's agents so that they could defeat Voldemorte from within (and to keep the students safe from Voldemorte's other peons). Dumbledore continued to communicate and plan their moves with Snape through his portrait in the headmaster's quarters.

Let's put it this way. Dumbledore was the only person that Voldemorte, the most evil thing the world had seen in that universe, both respected and feared as a superior wizard.

In a duel as mortal wizards, Dumbledore would win, but Gandalf wouldn't be slowed down much by the defeat. In a physical duel, Gandalf would win in a heartbeat.

Gandalf's a badass in his own right, and if Wizards in LoTR were anything like they were in Harry Potter, Gandalf would probably school Dumbledore something terrible. But lets be realistic here (Well, as realistic as possible).
    Last edited by Veyne; 2013-02-15 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    When I say Gandalf can do things like destroy the moon, and shatter dimensions, I'm not joking or exaggerating. Aside from Eru Iluvatar, (the literal Christian god) the 4 most powerful beings in LOTRs are, in this order, Manwe, Gandalf and Morgoth/Sauron. And before anyone that thinks they know the lore says that all the Valar are stronger than Gandalf, and that Morgoth was the strongest Vala and Sauron was the strongest Maia, that's incorrect. Evil weakens overtime in LOTRs, (Tolkien said so) and as of the Fourth Age it's been over 10,000 years since Morgoth and Sauron fell. Morgoth lost more power than Sauron, and Tolkien stated they're now equal as a result. And Gandalf was nearly equal with the Valar, (as was Sauron, their power was very close) before he got the power boost of becoming Gandalf the White. Also, Sauron didn't die at the end of LOTRs, Tolkien intended to write another book, but he died before he could finish it. The final book was going to detail Dagor Dagorath, the "battle of battles" where Morgoth shatters his dimensional prison, blows up the sun and moon, and then he and Sauron return to Arda for one last battle, which they lose.
    Hmm, I find that just boring.

The concept of a supremely powerful being who for some reason refuses to use this power is a rather unimaginative literary device.

And as a phycist I get annoyed when people design characters who blow up the Sun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Clearly, Dumbledore>Gandalf. Clearly. 100%.

Dumbledore had more power than anyone in the world, and refused it. Gandalf is poweful. Hm. Dumbledore clearly wins in my book.
    Gandalf is pretty much a demi-god in the world of Lotr - or at the very least one of the most powerful creatures in existence. Dumbledore is mortal where Gandalf would just be regenerating, or sent "home".
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Comments like this really make me want to kick Peter Jackson in the balls. That's right up there with the misconception that the Witch King can only be killed by a woman.

1. The movies nerf Gandalf.

2. Even in the books, Gandalf nerfs himself, because God and the king of the Valar told him not to crunk everything in sight with his awesome powers. He doesn't actually use magic though. Wizard and magic are terms made up by the common folk of Middle Earth to try and gives things beyond their understanding a label that makes sense to them. Gandalf changes reality, his powers are far beyond magic.

3. When I say Gandalf can do things like destroy the moon, and shatter dimensions, I'm not joking or exaggerating. Aside from Eru Iluvatar, (the literal Christian god) the 4 most powerful beings in LOTRs are, in this order, Manwe, Gandalf and Morgoth/Sauron. And before anyone that thinks they know the lore says that all the Valar are stronger than Gandalf, and that Morgoth was the strongest Vala and Sauron was the strongest Maia, that's incorrect. Evil weakens overtime in LOTRs, (Tolkien said so) and as of the Fourth Age it's been over 10,000 years since Morgoth and Sauron fell. Morgoth lost more power than Sauron, and Tolkien stated they're now equal as a result. And Gandalf was nearly equal with the Valar, (as was Sauron, their power was very close) before he got the power boost of becoming Gandalf the White. Also, Sauron didn't die at the end of LOTRs, Tolkien intended to write another book, but he died before he could finish it. The final book was going to detail Dagor Dagorath, the "battle of battles" where Morgoth shatters his dimensional prison, blows up the sun and moon, and then he and Sauron return to Arda for one last battle, which they lose.

After evil is defeated, Eru remakes the planet.
    I still think all other Valars are way more powerfull then Olorin for example Aule or Yavanna or Tulkas to mention just few

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Hmm, I find that just boring.

The concept of a supremely powerful being who for some reason refuses to use this power is a rather unimaginative literary device.

And as a phycist I get annoyed when people design characters who blow up the Sun.
    Well, it says shatters, not blows up, I was changing the wording for my amusement. That probably annoys you more though lol. Gandalf has a reason for not using his power though. His oath. And Manwe and Eru had reasons for having Gandalf swear that oath, the main one being that they feared Gandalf would become corrupted if he used brute force to beat Sauron, thus creating an even more powerful dark lord.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2013-02-15 at 02:24 PM.

Gandalf would annihilate him

Deleted
    I liked Gandalf, he had a casual yet heroic thing to him.

Dumblewho?? Seriously, what a question.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Dumbledore by a mile.

Gandalf is by all means a powerful Wizard, but his power is from knowledge and intelligence, not how prowess with magic or spells. We've seen very little demonstration of might from him.

Dumbledore has a long history, as well as constant shows of magical strength, superiority over one of the most evil and powerful wizards of all time, and has much more foresight and planning then Gandalf!

Deleted
    Gandalf would win.