Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I don't think a lot of the people here know what overrated means. For a game to be overrated you would have to think that people have an undeservedly high opinion of that game.
    Exactly. Overrated means a game that achieved undeserved fame and popularity. This is why i picked Minecraft (everyone and their mother recorded themselves on youtube playing it) and Skyrim (memes, sketches, videos, costumes for a barely okay game???)

Personally I'd say
    Borderlands: I though this game was just awful. Crappy graphics/visuals. Lame combat. Wasn't fun at all (though I hear it's much better on multiplayer)
    Bioshock: Repetitive combat. Poor pacing. Idk I just wasn't a fan. Everyone was raving about it and I thought it was just a gneeric shooter with clunky controls.
    And finally
    GTA IV: I like to think that I don't suffer from "gaming ADD" I can enjoy a slow paced game if it's done well. GTA looked great and all, but after over an hour of playing I was still chaffeuring my cousing and taking girls to bowling alleys... I always thought the point of GTA was fast paced action and doing crazy shit, not boring, mundane, everyday activites.

Oh ya and
    Fable: I remember when it first came out and everyone was going crazy about it. People were calling it the best RPG ever but I had just finished playing KOTOR which was a million times better than Fable. It was extremely dumbed down and way too linear for my liking.
    Last edited by blaqkmagick; 2013-02-15 at 09:08 AM.

Deleted
    What people? I'm really curious, because on every forum I've ever been on most people have shared your opinion. And your opinion makes no sense to me if most people share your opinion. It would only make sense if your opinion was in the minority.
    I've seen quite some people on forums that say other wise. Anyway, like I said posts on a forum are not a reliable source to go by if you want to make that kind of statement, as the majority of people only come to forums to complain. Almost every single person I ever spoke to who played FF7 is nuts about it, it sold good, recieved numerous awards, and it scores really high on game reviews. That's enough for me to say it's overrated.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2013-02-15 at 09:22 AM.

What people? I'm really curious, because on every forum I've ever been on most people have shared your opinion. And your opinion makes no sense to me if most people share your opinion. It would only make sense if your opinion was in the minority.
    It's the worst 'source' I have, but it's from personal experience. It happend to me that my high-school was full of those anime loving emo kids (not trying to flame or hate, it's what they were) who were all having this.. Expressive love for FF7. I never got interested in ANY Final Fantasy game. But they were all talking about it as it was God's Gift to the game-library.
    Then I got to my college.. Same. Thing.. I guess the love for FF7 fits in with a certain sub-culture. As most of the 'emo kids' are also quite in love with everything that's Asian.

I am not trying to flame anyone or put them in a bad light, just putting it as it is.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Call of Duty IMO

I loved FF7. Couldn't even bring myself to finish 8,9, and whatever others I've tried. So apparently here's atleast one person who overrates it _o/

Anyway, games I feel were overrated... dunno, Bioshock maybe. Good, but nothing spectacular. Really it'd be much easier to name underrated games. I feel there are more games out there that get undeserved amounts of criticism, than mediocre or poor games that get undue credit.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    But mind: It seesm EVERYONE loved D2. Yet while the game sold 4.5 million copies, the x-pac LOD only sold 1.5 million. Now what does that tell us?
    That when the game was released gaming was still considered to be done among the nerds/geeks. Gaming these days is very.. 'Mainstream'.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    All I can think about for the meantime is Swtor,gw2,d3 and wow cata. Cata because it was too overrated/hyped at start leading to the worst ending ever... as for d3 I believe its obvious, I think it was overrated due to people waiting for it since a very long time but afterall, its just the same thing x4(though ill give it a try once the pvp patch comes out). As for the other 2, we all saw those threads where one of them would be the "wow killer" ending up with many people not liking it.

Deleted
    Final Fantasy 7 and many other games of the franchise.

Borderlands was "okay - ish" but way too hyped for me, especially the 2nd part.

Skyrim kinda.. its fun still today but again the hype and stuff around it not so much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Half-Life and all console games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Final Fantasy 7. People orgasm over the very mention of the name, while I hated it. I loved, and adored Final Fantasy 8. It is one of the greatest games i've ever played.
    Which I personally find sort of revolting, since I think 8 was the worst game in the entire FF series, and I HHAAAAAAATE 10. Everybody has their own tastes.

1. Diablo 3
    2. Duke Nukem Forever (overhyped, that is)
    3. Call of Duty series

And for the love of all that is holy OP, it is SWTOR. Not SWToR. That 'o' is for 'OLD', not 'OF'. Sorry, that drives me batshit crazy ><

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 01:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    It's the worst 'source' I have, but it's from personal experience. It happend to me that my high-school was full of those anime loving emo kids (not trying to flame or hate, it's what they were) who were all having this.. Expressive love for FF7. I never got interested in ANY Final Fantasy game. But they were all talking about it as it was God's Gift to the game-library.
    Then I got to my college.. Same. Thing.. I guess the love for FF7 fits in with a certain sub-culture. As most of the 'emo kids' are also quite in love with everything that's Asian.

I am not trying to flame anyone or put them in a bad light, just putting it as it is.
    They're called Weeaboos. The rest of us just try to pretend they don't exist :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    All I can think about for the meantime is Swtor,gw2,d3 and wow cata. Cata because it was too overrated/hyped at start leading to the worst ending ever... as for d3 I believe its obvious, I think it was overrated due to people waiting for it since a very long time but afterall, its just the same thing x4(though ill give it a try once the pvp patch comes out). As for the other 2, we all saw those threads where one of them would be the "wow killer" ending up with many people not liking it.
    That's more the whole overhyped thing about it. The stories about GW2 and SWTOR being the WoW-killer was before it was even released. Same goes for D3. People seemed to be more interested in the game when it wasn't released yet. Once it was released a lot of people seemed disapointed (due to the hype) and now throw all their poo-filled toilets at them.

All I see in the game is "every game that has been successful that the cool kids play and I don't"

But for the hell of it, D3 was crap.

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2
    Skyrim

Don't know what you are talking about looting in D3. RNG is RNG. There are many flaws in D3 but what your problem is simply your bad luck...

Overrated game for me

Half-Life...
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-02-15 at 10:08 AM.

There are a few candidates:

Ocarina of Time - It only stood out because it was the first Zelda in 3D graphics. Link to the Past was much better.

FF7 - Definitely one of my favorite games ever, but the way people revere it over any other FF seems silly. I liked FF8 better.

Counter Strike series - Mostly overrated from a competitive standpoint. Its long lasting legacy is all that keeps it around.

The entire CoD series - They can provide mild amusement, but I will never understand how it is more popular than Halo.

The entire DOTA genre - It sucks. The popularity of this genre, in particular LoL, is a complete mystery to me.

WoW - A fine game, of course, but I feel other MMOs are never given a true chance by the stubborn WoW fanbase.
    Last edited by Itisamuh; 2013-02-15 at 10:28 AM.

Counter Strike
    Dota 2
    Diablo 3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    WoW - A fine game, of course, but I feel other MMOs are never given a true chance by the stubborn WoW fanbase.
    I think so, too. there are some very awesome mmos out there which are underrated.
    many people take wow as standard and compare the other games to it (mostly biased, so other great mmos are not even given the slightest chance)

Oh and the every GTA game after GTA2.

Crazy people saying Skyrim is overrated. One of the most beautiful games ever created.

Most overrated, I'll go with Batman: Arkham Asylum.