Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    It is said Gul'dan was a mortal Warlock who's power stretched beyond the extent of any mortal Necromancer/Warlock in existence, but he did not even attempt to battle or kill Doomhammer, a completely normal warrior, in the numerous times Doomhammer cornered him. Eventually, he was slain almost effortlessly by lower class demons suspected to be Naga.

I just don't understand.
    just one thing. necromancy is a form of arcane magic not fel magic which is what warlocks use.

as for why he was the strongest mortal warlock, i think it was because he was taught by kj one of the strongest beings in the universe. is he STILL the strongest? who knows but hes definitely still up there for tough guys in dressies
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    just one thing. necromancy is a form of arcane magic not fel magic which is what warlocks use.
    It's been speculated that both fel and arcane can be used to fuel necromancy, evidenced by the Nathrezim necromancers during the War of the Ancients as well as Balnazzar's raising of the Headless Horseman (using his own demonic blood).

10+ Year Old Account
    Fel magic is just demonic arcane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    In some ways, it seems to be a 'filthier' version of arcane, aye. It's different however in being much more volatile and having much more pronounced corrupting effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    It's been speculated that both fel and arcane can be used to fuel necromancy, evidenced by the Nathrezim necromancers during the War of the Ancients as well as Balnazzar's raising of the Headless Horseman (using his own demonic blood).
    dont nathrezim use arcane anyways? they were the ones that empowered the lich king and are sometimes called the creators of necromancy in lore

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 07:57 AM ----------

in lore its always been shown as an entirely different form of magic like elemental, nature, and light magic
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    dont nathrezim use arcane anyways? they were the ones that empowered the lich king and are sometimes called the creators of necromancy in lore
    It's hard to say, since we know barely anything about them. But using demon blood in a raising ritual, that does sound like fel got thrown into the mix.

(Bottom line is, so far lore seems to point at both being viable options.)

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    It is said Gul'dan was a mortal Warlock who's power stretched beyond the extent of any mortal Necromancer/Warlock in existence, but he did not even attempt to battle or kill Doomhammer, a completely normal warrior, in the numerous times Doomhammer cornered him. Eventually, he was slain almost effortlessly by lower class demons suspected to be Naga.

I just don't understand.
    First Gul'dan was exceptionally strong compared to the other warlock, it's the same as the Lich King he was the most powerfull death knight but he wasn't immortal; also Doomhammer wasn't a normal warrior he was well above the averange orc warrior.
    Second Gul'dan wasn't killed by "lesser demons" he was killed by demons powered up by Sargeras energy left in it's tomb after having rised the whole island from the bottom of the maelstorm and destroyed the powerfull seal casted by Aegwynn.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    in lore its always been shown as an entirely different form of magic like elemental, nature, and light magic
    "[Fel] energy, which most commonly manifests itself as ghastly, green-yellow flame, is arcane magic at its most corrupt, for it employs the blood of demons" While this is from the RPG and not cannon. It is somewhat corroborated by the game: "Doomguard says: ...before Sargeras freed us, we were the Titan's hounds. Forever enslaved to police the use of arcane magics."

Arcane magic and fel/demons are closely tied.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-02-15 at 01:22 PM.

i think the first one was simply using arcane as it is as a word meaning mysterious not actually talking about arcane magic.

the second one is just about how the doomguards policed arcane magic and are now addicted to it. they worked for illidan because he would give them large amounts of it for them to eat

10+ Year Old Account
    i think the first one was simply using arcane as it is as a word meaning mysterious not actually talking about arcane magic.

the second one is just about how the doomguards policed arcane magic and are now addicted to it. they worked for illidan because he would give them large amounts of it for them to eat
    I linked the wrong part. "[Fel] energy, which most commonly manifests itself as ghastly, green-yellow flame, is arcane magic at its most corrupt, for it employs the blood of demons."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    No raiders, wyverns, shaman or warlocks in the Horde during Wc2.... Oh and what's an "assassin shaman"?
    Ok, if you need warcraft 2 unit names - grunts, troll berserkers, ogres, ogre magi, catapults, goblin sappers AND FRIGGING DRAGONS - afaik Zuluhed and Nekros would go against Gul'Dan. Zuluhed being the last horde shaman and Nekros being one of the few warlocks that weren't part of the shadow council and even rerolled back to warrior for a while, he was a warlock only for his clan's benefit, certainly not to serve Gul'Dan.

10+ Year Old Account
    So in wow game can some one tell me where the tomb of sarg was at? like what zone? and also where did guldan die at where he messed the whole place up at, zone?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    So in wow game can some one tell me where the tomb of sarg was at? like what zone? and also where did guldan die at where he messed the whole place up at, zone?
    The tomb is long gone sunken into the ocean ( Again ) It's in WC III TFT if you ever bother to look at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    One more question does all of this stuff you guys know about this game come from those books? Ive played this game for 5-6 years and I barely know the names of most of the major npc's and stuff let alone everyone's life stories lol

Deleted
    One more question does all of this stuff you guys know about this game come from those books? Ive played this game for 5-6 years and I barely know the names of most of the major npc's and stuff let alone everyone's life stories lol
    Partly from the game (for example Gul'Dan's actions in Draenor/Outland are documented in quests all around Shadowmoon Valley, it's important to read the quest texts though...), partly from Warcraft 1-3 games, partly from books... but you can read most of it on http://www.wowpedia.org/. Some people are so interested in a games' lore that they spend more time reading about it than actually playing the game :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    He'd have to appear without a head, though, which could be a problem.
    It was never a problem for Onyxia and Nefarian...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    The tomb is long gone sunken into the ocean ( Again ) It's in WC III TFT if you ever bother to look at it.
    Did it sink though? Didn't it more kinda just collapse?

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 05:08 PM ----------

Warcraft 1-3, reading quests, reading the short stories posted by Blizz etc. Reading the in-game books. It all helps.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Just because he wasn't Warchief doesn't mean he wasn't in control of The Horde, he and his shadow council ran the Horde under Blackhand and even after waking up from a coma with all his supporters dead he still was able to command no less than half of Doomhammer's standing forces. He didn't kill Doomhammer because of micro management. He had his own plans to fulfill and he couldn't get what he wanted and war with The Alliance at the same time. Gul'dan also thoroughly enjoyed killing Alliance anyway so having the orcs slaughter humans in their droves probably amused him and let them get on with it.

As for his death I'm quite perplexed by it as well, I'm guessing Blizzard will kop out by saying he exhausted a great deal of magic raising the tomb rendering unable to defend himself adequately. But putting his death aside reading some of the shit he did and playing previous warcrafts you can easily see why he is regarded as the most powerful warlock to have ever existed, thoroughly deserving of the claim, he is after all he is the grandaddy of mortals practising dark magic.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletnips View Post
    Just because he wasn't Warchief doesn't mean he wasn't in control of The Horde, he and his shadow council ran the Horde under Blackhand and even after waking up from a coma with all his supporters dead he still was able to command no less than half of Doomhammer's standing forces. He didn't kill Doomhammer because of micro management. He had his own plans to fulfill and he couldn't get what he wanted and war with The Alliance at the same time. Gul'dan also thoroughly enjoyed killing Alliance anyway so having the orcs slaughter humans in their droves probably amused him and let them get on with it.

As for his death I'm quite perplexed by it as well, I'm guessing Blizzard will kop out by saying he exhausted a great deal of magic raising the tomb rendering unable to defend himself adequately. But putting his death aside reading some of the shit he did and playing previous warcrafts you can easily see why he is regarded as the most powerful warlock to have ever existed, thoroughly deserving of the claim, he is after all he is the grandaddy of mortals practising dark magic.
    Uhm, all he truly controled at that point was his own tiny clan, The Stormreavers, and The Twilight's Hammer. Orgrim still had Dragonmaw, Blackrock, Bleeding Hollow, Black Tooth Grin and the Burning Blade just to name some. However, during the siege of Lordaeron Orgrim only brought most of the Blackrock and a lot of Black Tooth's with him. He'd left the Burning Blade at Blackrock Spire and Bleeding Hollow and Dragonmaw in Khaz Modan.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    It was never a problem for Onyxia and Nefarian...
    Or Abbendis and Rivendare.