Poll: Your favored style of tanking?

Stamina trinkets - do they really add to the game?

Think about it, one trinket gives you more than 50k hp at level 90 but that's all about it.

I have personally never liked them, because using them doesn't make your character stronger tank, but give very good illusion of it. Of course, they have their uses on magic heavy encounters like lei shi, but then again your job is to mitigate the damage you take, and just having more hp won't work. For most tanks, mastery fills this niche well (except for bears which I think needs buffing).

I started to think about this when our tank passed on the tsulong/hc elegon trinkets in favor of brewfest/shadopan trinkets.

What do you think about them?
    Last edited by Reyzzz; 2013-02-15 at 09:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    I started to think this when our tank passed on the tsulong/hc elegon trinkets in favor of brewfest/shadopan trinkets.
    Holy shit. Are you serious? o.O

Did he pass for the other tank, or did he really not want to have it and it got sharded? (If the 2nd option -> get rid of him)

Like the other topic we had a couple of days ago on MMO - Trinkets add something special to the game. There are many trinkets outthere. So the choice is yours if you think you need stamina. If you don't, then get some other trinket. You might need a little more stamina if the healers you group with need a little more reaction time (while your dodge etc is capped). You could argue that Blizzard could nerf the normal gear you're wearing and only hand out trinkets that let you reach the cap of dodge etc. Or buff the current gear with stamina and let the trinkets have some other ability like a "setbonus".
    What it ends up to is player taste, diversity.

Trinkets with stats - do they really add to the game?

What a stupid question.

If you don't think stamina is a good stat, then you don't understand the most important job of the tank or the way that healers respond to the way tanks take damage. This covnersation is years old by this point, if you want to see the arguments in favour of the pro-stamina side then just google it. I won't bother trying to convince you, because if you're convinced by now that stamina is worthless for tanks, then nothing can convince you that it is good.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I don't think he's saying stamina is useless. To pass up on heroic trinkets for a pure stamina trinket though is a bit strange though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Trinkets with stats - do they really add to the game?

What a stupid question.

If you don't think stamina is a good stat, then you don't understand the most important job of the tank or the way that healers respond to the way tanks take damage. This covnersation is years old by this point, if you want to see the arguments in favour of the pro-stamina side then just google it. I won't bother trying to convince you, because if you're convinced by now that stamina is worthless for tanks, then nothing can convince you that it is good.
    It's not about weither it's a good stat or not, it's weither it's an interesting stat. Which it isn't, and as far as I know most tanks are taking haste/mastery/agility over pure stam stat.

I can't say for sure, but I think you are holding on to Wotlk tanking style where going full stamina was the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Thing is, I know it has a place, but I'm curious whether people regard to it as a god-stat, valued above all else. I played tank since TBC, and used hundreds of trinket combinations. I think stamina had it's primetime during era of passive mitigation, but we have shifted from that, that's why paladins stack haste instead. Moreover, bosses aren't able to one hit your tanks unless they are doing something terribly wrong (tanking multiple tsulong breaths without cds up). This wasn't the case in WotLK, you stacked stamina or risked getting oneshot.

This happens when people confuse "stamina is a good stat for my tank class" with "I have to sacrifice no matter what to get more stamina". That's just flat out dumb, especially when the items in question are those stamina trinkets from brewfest. They can be seen as slightly useful fun trinkets, but nothing more. You replace them as soon as you get tank trinkets from raids, end of story, everything else is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Did he pass for the other tank, or did he really not want to have it and it got sharded? (If the 2nd option -> get rid of him)
    If he passed for the other tank on one item, its no big deal. If it was sharded, he is bad, really bad.

Stamina trinkets are not USELESS, but they are generally not BiS

A good tank should have at least 1 stamina trinket for bosses like Lei Shi, where parry haste and mastery doesnt do ANYTHING.

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    I don't think he's saying stamina is useless. To pass up on heroic trinkets for a pure stamina trinket though is a bit strange though
    Unless the other tank had even worse trinkets than you, then its passing for the good of the group
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Deleted
    i only see 1 correct answer amongst them all yet it doesnt have all votes :O

As bear tank i dont use stam trinkets anymore. Of course im always collecting all trinkets for different fights but stam isnt that good anymore. It was good when we had blue gear mixed with purple.

I find stamina interesting/useful, in the right situation.

Usually as a Brewmaster I'm avoiding it. I don't need it for the majority of boss fights, but when I do need it it's good to know I only need to swap a couple of trinkets, maybe a couple of other items to get the HP I need. Rather than have to worry about re-enchanting, re-gemming, etc.

It's a choice. Sure, there's going to be bad tanks that only stack stamina and think they're awesome with their 700k HP unbuffed, then blame healers when they constantly die, but that doesn't mean every tank that stacks stamina is automatically bad.

So to answer the subject header: yes, stamina trinkets add to the game. They are useful in the right situation, and it's up to each individual tank to know what those situations are.

Deleted
    Will of Emperor Normal/Heroic.
    Lei Shi Normal/Heroic.
    Sha of Fear Normal/Heroic.

Stamina is useful. Just not as useful for some encounters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do they really add to them game? Well yes they add stamina...
    Aye mate

Deleted
    My fairly low geared (low, not bad) DK in upgraded heroic blues and a smattering of LFR gear finds stam trinkets far from useless. Stam gems seem ridiculously under budget, so its actually more beneficial for me to gem for mastery with a stam trinket than use a mastery trinket with stam gems. At least at my gear level, I'm sure once I get higher ilvl i'll be comfortable switching out my stam trink (i have 2 but only use the darkmoon card) for another mastery one perhaps, but nice to have them handy if I expect to take a massive hit of magic damage at any point.

Deleted
    Just because your tank passed on two trinkets doesn't mean he values stam above all other stats, perhaps he just doesn't value mastery with a dodge proc/use that highly.

Stam is certainly not a bad option, and generally wipes associated with tanks are due to damage spikes not healers running oom.

To put it out simple. Primary stats trinkets translate into secondary stat trinkets 1:1, if there is trinket with say 1300 intellect, trinket of same ilvl with mastery would have 1300 mastery. Meanwhile on gems 1 primary stat point = 2 secondary stat points. You basically waste a lot of stats if you go for secondary stats' trinkets rather than gemming whatever secondary stat you need.

It makes trinkets with secondary stats rather pointless, and they must have really decent "on use/on equip" to make them somewhat interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    To put it out simple. Primary stats trinkets translate into secondary stat trinkets 1:1, if there is trinket with say 1300 intellect, trinket of same ilvl with mastery would have 1300 mastery. Meanwhile on gems 1 primary stat point = 2 secondary stat points. You basically waste a lot of stats if you go for secondary stats' trinkets rather than gemming whatever secondary stat you need.

It makes trinkets with secondary stats rather pointless, and they must have really decent "on use/on equip" to make them somewhat interesting.
    Primary stats aren't overly valued by tanks, and even less by strength tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Think about it, one trinket gives you more than 50k hp at level 90 but that's all about it.

I have personally never liked them, because using them doesn't make your character stronger tank, but give very good illusion of it. Of course, they have their uses on magic heavy encounters like lei shi, but then again your job is to mitigate the damage you take, and just having more hp won't work. For most tanks, mastery fills this niche well (except for bears which I think needs buffing).

I started to think about this when our tank passed on the tsulong/hc elegon trinkets in favor of brewfest/shadopan trinkets.

What do you think about them?
    There used to be fights that necessitate a minimum hp so high that all non-tanks would need some stamina pieces to swap in. I don't think that happens anymore. Another feature Blizzard killed/ignored, after the resistance fights.