Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Dota 2 vs League of Legends

So... I don't really wanna start a huge fight here, just wanna know what people think of both games and what could be improved in both of them, what does Dota 2 lack and what does LoL lack, any feature from Dota 2 that could be introduced to LoL or the other way around, I'm asking because I've been playing LoL for quite a long time and I just tried out Dota 2, it seems pretty fun yet completely different

Deleted
    So... I don't really wanna start a huge fight here
    Let's see how long that will last.

As for comparing the two... I don't really want either game to impose on each other, but I guess I can list what I love with each game. Naturally, everything is subjective etc.

Dota 2
    -Feels overall more epic. Yes, you could argue that skills and spells are nine kinds of broken, but they supposedly balance each other out. And there's something simply epic about throwing around massive AoE stuns and becoming a rampaging giant for 10 seconds, which LoL kind of lacks due to the whole counterplay/anti-fun design mindset they have going.
    -More strategic depth. I'm not necessarily talking about creep stacking, denies (though they are factors) and whatnot, I just find it more fun that Dota 2 isn't balanced around a strict setup for the lanes, unlike League of Legends. It allows for more creativity when playing.
    -More personality for every Hero with their lines and quips. Admittedly, League of Legends has begun trying to do the same with the newer champions, but they're still very far behind compared to Dota 2.
    -Everything unlocked to begin with. Sure, some heroes are still missing from the Dota 2 roster, but still, it's hard to argue with this.

LoL
    -A bit extra subjective, but I prefer the more cartoony aesthetics for LoL. Also helps newbies that most skills and spells are a lot easier to read to begin with, with more emphasis on spell effects rather than body animations.
    -More fluid gameplay. Yes, I'm aware that the animation delays are meant to make ministuns worthwhile in Dota 2, but smartcasting and few casting delays just makes LoL combat much speedier. Mana not being as precious of a resource as well helps the gameplay as well.
    -Casters scale better. I love casters and anyone who doesn't needs to be subjected to 10 hours of nyancat!

Anyway, that's all I can think about. I more or less play both at the same time, depending when friends pester me for a few matches. :x

Have not played enough Dota to say what it needs, but for Lol, I would like some of dotas more Rts elements added to Lol. For example invokers ability to create 2 minions and micro them, something like that would be nice in lol. I would not like the courier however, a mechanic I found easy to use right off the bat, but just hated at the same time.

Also one thing I love in Dota, is that your ultimate's (R abilities) are insanely good and can just see them blowing up half the map. In league there are a lot of lack luster ultimate's, even though they are honestly getting a fair bit better.

Usually, I tend to say this:

Dota 2 is a lot more true to the "classic" Dota-style, focusing on renewing the old, yet epic experience. It's a lot more complex, but also really unfriendly to new people.

LoL is a lot more approachable, and is a lot more focused on inventing new things to the genre. It's less complex, but a lot more friendly to beginners.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raminax View Post
    Let's see how long that will last.

As for comparing the two... I don't really want either game to impose on each other, but I guess I can list what I love with each game. Naturally, everything is subjective etc.

Dota 2
    -Feels overall more epic. Yes, you could argue that skills and spells are nine kinds of broken, but they supposedly balance each other out. And there's something simply epic about throwing around massive AoE stuns and becoming a rampaging giant for 10 seconds, which LoL kind of lacks due to the whole counterplay/anti-fun design mindset they have going.
    -More strategic depth. I'm not necessarily talking about creep stacking, denies (though they are factors) and whatnot, I just find it more fun that Dota 2 isn't balanced around a strict setup for the lanes, unlike League of Legends. It allows for more creativity when playing.
    -More personality for every Hero with their lines and quips. Admittedly, League of Legends has begun trying to do the same with the newer champions, but they're still very far behind compared to Dota 2.
    -Everything unlocked to begin with. Sure, some heroes are still missing from the Dota 2 roster, but still, it's hard to argue with this.

LoL
    -A bit extra subjective, but I prefer the more cartoony aesthetics for LoL. Also helps newbies that most skills and spells are a lot easier to read to begin with, with more emphasis on spell effects rather than body animations.
    -More fluid gameplay. Yes, I'm aware that the animation delays are meant to make ministuns worthwhile in Dota 2, but smartcasting and few casting delays just makes LoL combat much speedier. Mana not being as precious of a resource as well helps the gameplay as well.
    -Casters scale better. I love casters and anyone who doesn't needs to be subjected to 10 hours of nyancat!

Anyway, that's all I can think about. I more or less play both at the same time, depending when friends pester me for a few matches. :x
    I noticed the mana part, it really bugs me out... I love playing casters as well and using more than half of my mana on a skill is crazy :P

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Have not played enough Dota to say what it needs, but for Lol, I would like some of dotas more Rts elements added to Lol. For example invokers ability to create 2 minions and micro them, something like that would be nice in lol. I would not like the courier however, a mechanic I found easy to use right off the bat, but just hated at the same time.

Also one thing I love in Dota, is that your ultimate's (R abilities) are insanely good and can just see them blowing up half the map. In league there are a lot of lack luster ultimate's, even though they are honestly getting a fair bit better.
    I have to agree with you there, I don't really like the courier system, I think that recalling makes it way more simple and cool but meh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Usually, I tend to say this:

Dota 2 is a lot more true to the "classic" Dota-style, focusing on renewing the old, yet epic experience. It's a lot more complex, but also really unfriendly to new people.

LoL is a lot more approachable, and is a lot more focused on inventing new things to the genre. It's less complex, but a lot more friendly to beginners.
    Yep put simple, that's what I think as well but I like a challenge so I'll try and master Dota 2 lol

Edit: I replied to both the previous posts but it said I needed administrator approval god knows why :O

10+ Year Old Account
    dota 2 lacks a surrender option

I tried Dota2, but quit because I didnt feel like learning everything again.( Best Itens- what to level first- stats - heroes - etc)
    I liked the "least played Heroes" mode idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dota is far more open to play styles. This makes the game harder to grasp initially I think but overall it makes for better games. You could get ganked even from level 1. I've literally entered games and dived round the back of a lane and stunned one person and my team mate has come over and helped me kill them even before the first creep has been slain.

The game is harder off the bat and thats why I like it, higher skill threshold = more fun
    LoL to me is just a joke compared to Dota

PS dont mean to sound elitist :S
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really managed to get into LoL because personally I couldn't stand the graphics... I've always thought and said that graphics weren't a big deal for me but for some reason they actually prevented me from enjoying LoL even the slightest bit.

That's the main reason I prefer DotA, probably not completely what you're looking for but input is input

Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    dota 2 lacks a surrender option
    Which is a good thing imo! Both Dota 2 and LoL have toxic community, and I can imagine how frustrating it would be in Dota 2 when you get a full team of people just spamming the surrender button. And I can't count the times we managed to turn the losing game around and actually win the match, if it was for surrender button that wouldn't have been possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    and i cant count the times where we have just been wasting time and the other team has just been dicking around instead of ending it

I never liked the idea of creep denying. Always felt like a really bad mechanic to me.

Also inb4 lock
    RETH

It depends on what one likes. For instance:
    I hate DoTa 2's need to control creeps, ie, killing your own (idea of creep denying) to not push too far etc. That's too much.
    I hate DoTa 2's heroes and their design, while I love LoL ones (Kassadin, Malzahar, Trynda, Darius, Cassio, Morde, Pantheon and many many more).
    I hate DoTa 2's not so fluid combat, LoL wins here like some have said
    I hate DoTa 2's CC, prefer less CC and couters as LoL have it done the best way.

Basically, what you like. If DoTa 2 will fix these points, I will play it again.

Okay. My impressions from a LoL player who has dabbled in DotA.

LoL has a shit community. DotA has a better one, but apparently it has a larger base of non-english speakers who speak their native language, meaning that communication is sometimes an issue in random teams, despite said non-english speakers being otherwise perfectly fine. This is a problem for some.

DotA has more innovative and original, and bloody awesome ideas for it's Heroes. LoL's champions are fast catching up though, with the last 10 or so LoL champs all having some innovation and cool new ideas or mechanics.

It is far easier to see what is going on in LoL. The cel-shaded graphics work well with the game, and things are always clear, distinct, and easy to spot. DotA on the other hand goes for a less colourful, more 'realistic' in a sense (not really, but you know what I mean if you've seen pics) aesthetic, which in my opinion doesn't work as well. It is all down to preference but it is far harder to tell what is happening in DotA as the effects are less clearly defined and distinct from each other, which means until you get a lot of experience things tend towards the clusterfuck side to a greater extent than in LoL, and it can be very awkward to know what is happening or how to avoid it.

This really is down to preference but I personally dislike DotA's UI, even after having played for a week. I find it rather unintuitive and awkward, and telling who is who and analysing what is going on through the minimap is needlessly difficult. The rest of the UI could be more intuitive too. LoL's isn't perfect but I find it easier. While I have had longer with LoL to get used to it though, I remember when I started playing and I do not remember having nearly as many problems with understanding A, whats going on, or B, how to work around the UI as I did in DotA. Season 3 also came along with a drastic improvement to LoL's UI.

Lastly, the asymmetery of DotA is a point against it for me. I can't help but be biased against a game where I actually actively hope to spawn on a specific side because it is literally easier to see what the fuck is happening. I guess it depends from player to player, but in DotA, I actively have more trouble telling whats happening when I'm on the Dire side.

I should mention the meta differences. DotA games are slightly less liable to ridiculous snowballing and one-sided games, as several mechanics exist to A, prevent the stronger team from maintaining significant advantages, and B, to help the weaker team come back from significant disadvantages. The meta is also less rigid in DotA 2, as opposed to LoL in which the current state of 1 top, ap carry mid, ad carry + support bot, + jungle is fairly rigid and very little variation occurs in high level play.

So to round up. DotA better community and better ideas, but LoL isn't worse enough in either of these regards. DotA has a very different graphical style which I personally can not play with, but it's down to preference. Same with the UI. DotA has a steeper learning curve and a less rigid meta, which some people care about.

In other words, try both. They are both very popular and distinct, and different people prefer different things. I'm a LoL person and can't stand playing DotA 2, but I'm glad it exists. Nothing good doesn't need competition to keep the market healthy, and everything needs viable alternatives.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried LoL many times, never got into it, the only thing that caught my eye in that game was the art design, which is never actually shown ingame because the graphics wont do it justice, I also hate the out-of-match leveling / talent system, it basically makes someone who has played longer than me but is as skilled as me better then me no matter what. Also, locked heroes? fuck that, I never got paired with heroes I ever enjoyed, and the limited playstyle for each hero was just as annoying.

I was expecting the same from DOTA 2, but I really got into it after my first three matches, because that was how long it took me to find a hero I enjoy playing because they're not fucking locked. The art design is amazing, I'd say it's on par with LoL, and the graphics do them justice, so that's a plus, I also love the community input, it's huge, and everything in the store is free as long as you put some time into the game.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Okay. My impressions from a LoL player who has dabbled in DotA.

LoL has a shit community. DotA has a better one, but apparently it has a larger base of non-english speakers who speak their native language, meaning that communication is sometimes an issue in random teams, despite said non-english speakers being otherwise perfectly fine. This is a problem for some.
    They've actually fixed that, but it's not really fixed for sure, as they've added a new "Language" choice into the matchmaking system. there might still be those folks who'll choose english and will still talk in their native language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Basically, what you like. If DoTa 2 will fix these points, I will play it again.
    Valve is not going to remove major balancing points of the game, try again.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    They've actually fixed that, but it's not really fixed for sure, as they've added a new "Language" choice into the matchmaking system. there might still be those folks who'll choose english and will still talk in their native language.
    It does nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    and i cant count the times where we have just been wasting time and the other team has just been dicking around instead of ending it
    I couldn't count them either because I'd forget them while waiting for the next one to happen.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2013-02-18 at 02:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okuu View Post

It does nothing at all.

It did to me, since my last 10 games were filled with people who spoke english.

IMO DotA > DotA 2 > LoL > HoN

DotA 2 lacks all of their champions, still a beta.
    LoL lacks champion diversity, every ranged ad being built has the same skill set, big dmg aoe, skill shot, escape mechanism.

LoL also allows for easy catch up which i hate, in DotA if you are down a few kills and equal skill level with the enemy team then you will most likely lose, LoL you can just farm all day then walk in late game and win.

Champion diversity means a lot funner team comps in professional games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    It did to me, since my last 10 games were filled with people who spoke english.
    I fail to see how this proves anything other than that RNG is RNG. All my games since the change have mostly been stacks but I've seen my fair share of Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridanjohn View Post
    LoL also allows for easy catch up which i hate, in DotA if you are down a few kills and equal skill level with the enemy team then you will most likely lose, LoL you can just farm all day then walk in late game and win.
    This is so situational I don't even. Have you ever heard of the Maelk award?