Page 1 of 3
LastLast

493 Shadow Priest LOW DPS

At the start of every fight, we usually bloodlust, and my DPS is fine during the first minute or so, but as the fight goes on, I usually end up lowest on the DPS charts. Most fights my DPS goes down to like 70-75k. I've read many threads and guides about my class/priority/gear/reforge/enchants/gems/ect. Not sure why my DPS is so low in comparison to our previous 494 spriest who just switched over to his warlock recently.

Won't let me post links...

us. battle. net/ wow/ en/ character/ stormreaver/ V%C3%B8xel/ simple

(Will post logs when I get access to them)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you're a Shadow Priest. Until 5.2 hits they will still be lower in DPS compared to most other classes... Feels weird saying they instead of we since I recently quit the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    perhaps its player skill? or your lack of haste you also still are using a blue trinket ...this also may have a slight but not major effect on it and of course dont forget just a bad case of RNG

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently hit 490, I usually do more than that. Showing 70-75k is a symptom of choosing the wrong talents for a fight.

FD;CL is the default single-target talent for tier 3. Combine FD;CL with Glyph of Mind Spike; effectively lowers your Mind Blast cooldown. Swap to Mindbender if you can't use the procs for some reason (for example, AoEing so it's not worth using. Also some priest have been experiencing a bug when combining Glyph of Mind Spike with Divine Insight.)

Twist of Fate for fights with multiple "below 20%" phases. Divine Insight otherwise.

If a fight has high burst requirements, Mindbender + Power Infusion technically offers the highest on-demand burst, but going into a burst phase with Twist of Fate, Surge of Darkness and/or Shadow Orbs stacked up is an alternative.

I've seen a fair amount of disagreement around, but I'm going to say this anyway: Halo is the king of the tier 7 talents. If you aim it properly, it does an incredible amount of damage and healing. Learn to aim it, and use it any time there's more than 1 target. Often lands for ~1.5M per cast on AoE. The healing is so bursty that it's worthy of consideration as well.

Make sure you are getting to 24.97% haste so your DP is ticking that one extra.Then start stacking crit. I couldn't see your armory. Refresh your dots when you get int procs. Aim that HALO! there is an addon for it i believe, i don't use it but it's available. Also... spriest sorta suck single target.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaElement View Post
    Also... spriest sorta suck single target.
    http://simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html

Sorta, yeah.

Don't get your hopes up unless you seriously outskill your whole raidteam when it comes to single target fights. Abuse Twist of Fate as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaElement View Post
    Make sure you are getting to 24.97% haste so your DP is ticking that one extra.Then start stacking crit. I couldn't see your armory. Refresh your dots when you get int procs. Aim that HALO! there is an addon for it i believe, i don't use it but it's available. Also... spriest sorta suck single target.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...B8xel/advanced
    His armory

ONT: You're saying "comparing to the other priest", well, what kind of numbers did he pull then? You could always post his armory so we could compare your stats. With the itemlevel you have though, you should be at haste breakpoint already, still you're 2327 off.

But also, talk to him for advice if you feel he's a better spriest than you.

Try get Flashfrozen Resin Globule instead of the trinket you have right now as well. That'll give you 300 ish extra haste
    I'm a kittycat

Hammerofpope:

I see what you mean, but the other spriest was usually 2nd or 3rd on the charts, and i'm usually 5th or 6th... So I don't think it's just poor class balance at the moment.

InsertStrangeNameHere:

It may be the skill, but I think i'm a fairly good spriest. I've been running LFR and try to full clear MSV & ToES every week, but there are two reason I won't get a trinket there; My guild uses EPGP and i'm the lowest in priority at the moment, and I haven't seen a caster trinket drop during my time with this guild.

Espoire:

For switching between talents, i've been using How to priest's normal & heroic talent choice (10m) thread which provides talent choices for each fight.

FloridaElement:

I'm nowhere really near that haste... I've been doing the int proc refreshes, and usually very accurate with Halo.

Chief:

I had Flashfrozen Resin Globule, but Askmrrobot said that the alchemy trinket was superior. His armory is

us.battle. net/ wow/ en/ character/ stormreaver/ Tyg%C3%A3/ simple

EDIT:

Should I be gemming straight haste until I reach the breakpoint? Or let me gear and my int/haste gems get there?
    Last edited by MK726; 2013-02-18 at 03:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xP4TR10Tx21 View Post
    EDIT:

Should I be gemming straight haste until I reach the breakpoint? Or let me gear and my int/haste gems get there?
    Straight haste is a bad call. If you can't reach the cap, then haste isn't that great - it's Fantastic if your getting to the 8085 haste breakpoint, but prior and after that it's only marginally better than mastery or crit. Int is by far our best stat, I highly recommend gemming for socket bonuses - using int and int/haste and int/spirit (if you need hit) gems.

Also, not sure if your using it or not - but get HaloPro, simple addon that lets you snipe Halo to Exactly 25 yards - which is critical for an ability that deals a good bit less damage if its 24 or 26 yards (or worse). Precision with our 90 talents is key to MoP Shadow - HaloPro is, imo, mandatory. (or, at least for Halo).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Straight haste is a bad call. If you can't reach the cap, then haste isn't that great - it's Fantastic if your getting to the 8085 haste breakpoint, but prior and after that it's only marginally better than mastery or crit. Int is by far our best stat, I highly recommend gemming for socket bonuses - using int and int/haste and int/spirit (if you need hit) gems.

Also, not sure if your using it or not - but get HaloPro, simple addon that lets you snipe Halo to Exactly 25 yards - which is critical for an ability that deals a good bit less damage if its 24 or 26 yards (or worse). Precision with our 90 talents is key to MoP Shadow - HaloPro is, imo, mandatory. (or, at least for Halo).
    Alright, thats what I thought, and i'll get HaloPro now.

10+ Year Old Account

Chief:

I had Flashfrozen Resin Globule, but Askmrrobot said that the alchemy trinket was superior. His armory is

us.battle. net/ wow/ en/ character/ stormreaver/ Tyg%C3%A3/ simple
    look at his stats compared to yours...

Deleted
    u need to find some other pieces with haste on

the klaxxi rep neck with spirit haste is way better then what u have now and the domination point trinket with haste on also
    and try getting some 496 crafted gear

Chief:

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormreaver/Tyg%C3%A3/advanced
    First of all, Flashfrozen is the best choice. Second, He has 4set, you don't even have 2set.
    Third, He seems rather unknowing about the class.

First, he's reforging TO haste, then he's reforging AWAY from haste. He have reforged away from 778 haste, which also put him under haste breakpoint.

Anyway, you should focus on getting more haste. You could always do dailys for Operation: Shieldwall and get the haste trinket from there.
    I'm a kittycat

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    Because you're a Shadow Priest. Until 5.2 hits they will still be lower in DPS compared to most other classes... Feels weird saying they instead of we since I recently quit the game.
    You speak as though we're getting better in 5.2

We're still complete shit, our rotation has just been made worse with the SW:I changes which will barely be used anyway

If you want to top meters in a 100% single target fight in can be very difficult, only advice would be to manage your procs well and have a close to perfect rotation. In a fight like feng or something tho, you can pop cd's during the small add phases and rise a fair bit through that, but we still rarely have moments where we can actually beat EVERY other class (assuming similar skill level between everyone in the raid). This also assumes at an ilvl of 490+ you should definitely have reached the 8085 haste cap and have all your stat priorities sorted

Elmachino:

I that neck, but I was using it for holy, I will switch to using it for shadow now. The dominance point trinket is way far away from my rep levels...But I might try and grind rep for it. I have tier gloves they are just in the bank until I get a 4th tier piece, and haven't bought a 496 crafted chest because I will most likely be 5.2 is coming out soon, and it will most likely be replaced quickly, which would mean 15k down the drain.

Chief:

Where are you seeing Flashfrozen as being the better choice? I do have my 2set...I had my holy gear on I think when you checked my armory.

Hard to give useful comments without logs. Your gear sims for about 85k so 75k isn't exactly terrible. Also, your friend (Tyga) sims for 93k, about 8k higher than you. So, if you're within 8k of him, you're probably not playing worse. Lacking a 4set, sha-touched bonuses and 19 ilvls on the weapon is probably where the difference is.

It's not worth dropping int for haste unless you can hit 8085 dropping at most 100-200 int. Since you can't hit 8085, it's not even worth trying - if you sim your gear with your current gems (reckless in red), then re-sim with brilliant in red, you'll see slightly more DPS with brilliant in red. But we're talking maybe a few hundred DPS at most. This will never be the reason for noticably low DPS.

Deleted
    Elmachino:

I that neck, but I was using it for holy, I will switch to using it for shadow now. The dominance point trinket is way far away from my rep levels...But I might try and grind rep for it. I have tier gloves they are just in the bank until I get a 4th tier piece, and haven't bought a 496 crafted chest because I will most likely be 5.2 is coming out soon, and it will most likely be replaced quickly, which would mean 15k down the drain.
    is it the 496 version of the gloves? maybe u can get to breakpoint with them if u switch out some other pieces
    try asking ur guild if they can give u the crafted ones and i agree with not buying from AH this close to 5.2

10+ Year Old Account
    Elmachino:

Chief:

Where are you seeing Flashfrozen as being the better choice? I do have my 2set...I had my holy gear on I think when you checked my armory.
    most likely..but u dont know that...it could drop from the first 3 bosses or it could drop from the last 3 u dont know that...and since there is no set in stone date on the release if u wanna fix ur dps and help out the raid anyway u can then get the mats talk in trade and that 15k could be like 8k maybe less esp on stormreaver...i have toons on stormreaver i got my 496 gear when it first came out for less than half the AH prices jsut by buying mats myself and at the time the chest piece was roughly 70k its all about how you barter man..then once u get gear reforge...regem...work on your rotation ..look for helpful macros...sit at the dummy for a couple hours and blast away on it...then once u think u got it down...run lfr a few times...make sure u got it down...its what they always say man practice makes perfect...so gogogogo

Elmachino:

Yes, it's the 496 tier gloves. I just switched all my bril gems to reckless gems to help with the haste. I would ask my guild....but they don't really enjoy me being there....so that's a negative.

InsertStrangeNameHere:

I see what you mean, frankly I don't think i'll be buying crafted gear...Not worth the gold at the time.

Dmfg:

I agree that my gear isn't nearly as good as his, although I can't really buy a tier chest, 496 wep, or the sha-touched socket :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Unless I've been misled, you're wrong about the optimal distance for Halo.

0.5 * (1.01)^(-1 * (((Distance-25)/2)^4)) + 0.1 + 0.015*Distance
    (Not the original source, but here's a fuller version of the text.)

That's the formula for the damage/healing multiplier on Halo, as posted by Ghostcrawler himself. If you actually graph it, you get something like this.

Note the local maximum at 27 yards, not 25. 22-30 yards is the range for >90%, and 26-28 is >98%. So it's actually quite forgiving for being off by 3-4 yards either way. More than that though, and you take a pretty big damage loss.
    Last edited by espoire; 2013-02-19 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Removed an incorrect link. I seem to have lost the source of my quote =|