Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Growing into your RL Name.

I'm sure you have all had the discussion at least once of others 'Growing into their names' something like "Oh yeah, you totally look like a Jacob or Ashley"

So do you feel you've grown into yours?

I'll start this off w/ a pic of myself and my name.

My name is James 21 y/o

Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-02-15 at 07:43 PM. Reason: fixed image tags

What does that even mean? Its not like all ashley's etc look alike.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

It's like if a geek were named hank or some other stereo-typical jock name. "Growing into your name"

What is a stereo-typical jock name? Hank is a stereo-typical propane and propane accessory vendor.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stuff like Brad, Zack, Chad lol.

If someone says, oh but you don't look like a 'insert name here' I automatically think you're stupid. I've only heard girls say it before.

Deleted
    Hehe. I get what you mean. My name's Robert and even though my parent's gave me my name, for some reason, they felt it didn't suit me in my baby to toddler years. So, until I was about six, they called me "Bobby". I don't know why they gave me a name they didn't think felt right. I think they just liked it and hoped I'd suit it eventually. Lol.
    I like my name, but I don't like how it looks written down and I particularly don't like how it looks when I write it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Stuff like Brad, Zack, Chad lol.

If someone says, oh but you don't look like a 'insert name here' I automatically think you're stupid. I've only heard girls say it before.
    Its a bit stupid but with some people it really feels like their names fit. When you see a hillbilly and his name is Tyrone would you think it matches?
    Do you feel like a person such as Michael Jackson could do with a name like Clarke Logan?

I certaintly do not!

Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    Hehe. I get what you mean. My name's Robert and even though my parent's gave me my name, for some reason, they felt it didn't suit me in my baby to toddler years. So, until I was about six, they called me "Bobby". I don't know why they gave me a name they didn't think felt right. I think they just liked it and hoped I'd suit it eventually. Lol.
    I like my name, but I don't like how it looks written down and I particularly don't like how it looks when I write it.
    Oh, why did you change your forum name from Baiyn?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    This is very common. Some names have "affectionate" versions of the more adult sounding one that most parents use, i.e. Robert->Bobby, William->Billy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Oh, why did you change your forum name from Baiyn?
    I started not to like how that looked written down too. >.<'
    Plus, the avatar in WoW I took the name from has since had several name and gender changes in the meantime, so it just didn't feel relevant or like it represented me properly. Weird, but I hope it makes sense. I just decided to go with an immature phonetical spelling of my actual name for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    This is very common. Some names have "affectionate" versions of the more adult sounding one that most parents use, i.e. Robert->Bobby, William->Billy.
    True. I suppose some people might adopt a nickname or something derived from their given name if perhaps they were named after an ancestor or for tradition generally, but people around them might feel that their 'real' name doesn't actually suit their character/appearance. *shrug*
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-02-15 at 07:35 PM.

I was all 'why would I grow into my Raid Leaders name'? Then I was all 'o.O' and finally, hey, my name is James, and I don't look like the OP at all - so one of us hasn't grown into the name James, but I don't know which one of us is wrong.

I started not to like how that looked written down too. >.<'
    Plus, the avatar in WoW I took the name from has since had several name and gender changes in the meantime, so it just didn't feel relevant or like it represented me properly. Weird, but I hope it makes sense. I just decided to go with an immature phonetical spelling of my actual name for now.
    I thought it was awesome, but its your name. Can mods change their names whenever they want? I saw bad paladin change his name too.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    I thought it was awesome, but its your name. Can mods change their names whenever they want? I saw bad paladin change his name too.
    Forumgoers can as well by PM'ing Sunshine at least.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Forumgoers can as well by PM'ing Sunshine at least.
    You can change your forum name yourself now! Go to the settings menu -> edit profile, and you'll have a chance to change it.

There's a 90-day cooldown, and you have to have 10 posts minimum to make the change in the first place.

In any case, let's stay on topic with real names, not forum names
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2013-02-15 at 07:41 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks. I do sort of miss it now that it's gone actually. Maybe I'll have to go back to it eventually. No, we're bound by the same settings as other site users. That being the option to personally name-change with a 90-day cooldown.

Edit: Seems Sunshine shone light on the facts before I could get in there. xD

10+ Year Old Account

I've never grown into my name. I don't think I look like a Warren at all. Actually, I've hated my real-life name so much that I tried on a few different names when I was younger, like Skyler (which, at the time, sounded so cool). I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable with it.

Deleted
    not really, my first name comes from Greek origins and my second name is pretty unique, but can be traced back to Spain, but im very white, with blonde hair, if you heard my name you would picture a tanned person from southern Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the Lauras I've known, I always felt like I looked the least like one.

Deleted
    Kinda. This is what I look like; http://imgur.com/COuSFVa

My name's Mikkel, imho I look like a Mike, so that's fine :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hate my first name, but it's very common and I'm not a huge fan of it.

Tziva is my nickname both on and offline, and I generally prefer to be called by it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |