Poll: Which Installment of WoW Provided the Best Story?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wrath, while good, was a kind of "safe win-win route". The chances it would fail were very slim, as the community was ready to swallow anything dramatic about Arthas. I actually like where Mists are going. They have finally departed from tying loose ends from WC3 and are propelling the world forward.

So many people have told me they hated WotLK yet so many ppl in this thread loved it!?
    I think the Wanted:"Hogger" story has been the best so far!

I think it's slightly unfair to put Mists of Pandaria on the list considering the story isn't even over yet. We have yet to see how events will play out and it could end up coming together as the best story to date... or the worst. That being said I voted for Wrath of the Lich King with an honorable mention to Mists of Pandaria as it currently stands.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    So many people have told me they hated WotLK yet so many ppl in this thread loved it!?
    The thread is about which they feel had the best story, there's other aspects of expansions that people could consider more important though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    I believe the story of Wrath has always been - in comparison to the actual encounter designs and such - the relatively favored aspect. (Arthas was, and still is, bullshit (imo))

That being said I can't vote for any of them, as I always have something to bitch about regarding story. I will tritely reminisce about how amazing it was to have the world get fleshed out for me in classic back near the beginning, though. Something you can't ever forget the feelin of.
    It wasn't long ago / I was just like you / And now I think I'm sick and I wanna go home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    what if SEARING WOLVES? The possibilities?!!?

I have said this repeatedly since it was announced, and I am still sticking to it today. Wrath of the Lich King had the best storyline out of any point in World of Warcraft's history. It was a really bad expansion gameplay-wise, but it had amazing story that gave me the feeling of awe back then, and still does today.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post

So i'm just puzzled as to why Wotlk is seen as so 'overwhelmingly' better than the others storywise, when it had a few more stumbling blocks and the others had some serious merits.
    WoW hit its peak in WotLK, so its likely that there are some votes from people who never even played before it.

Aside from that, it seems that people are choosing WotLK solely for ICC. The whole Arthas storyline in wow was mediocre at best for me, and when you factor in all the irrelevance (Naxx OS EoE Ulduar ToC Ruby Sanctum) it makes for a terrible expansion story wise. In my opinion, Ulduar was by far the best raid of the expansion and best story in the expansion (Essentially the anti-ToC) and I still have no idea how it fits into the expansion. We just decided to take a break from the imminent scourge threat and play around in some ancient ruins that a dwarf stumbled upon.

I can't say any of it was exceptional story wise but I'd say Wrath probably had the best story direction of any of the expansions or vanilla. Cliche story yes, but everything was leading up to the demise of Arthas.

Wrath was actually very well-done, so that gets my vote, despite the epicly cheesy ending. Just about everything seemed to tie in in some way, and I actually thought seeing Arthas quite often while leveling/questing and even in ToC before finally meeting him in ICC was good even though a little cliche. I'm liking MoP so far, it's not really the story we all know and love with Pandaria being a new continent and all, but they've done a good job tying it all together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFollowUp View Post
    Not Wrath. Only good thing to come from Wrath was use of Saurfang for exposition for Garrosh's rise to power (The "I'll kill you myself" line), some of the Zul'drak/Drak'tharon storyline, and further development of Titan lore meeting a formal juncture with Old God lore (starting in Grizzly Hills, kind of)

Rest was the, as we called it then, "Saturday Morning Cartoon" villainy with zombies. (What's that? Anub'arak gets resurrected after gettin shafted in Azjol? OH, what's THAT? Kel'thuzad had a phylactery? The rest of Naxxramas too? WHAT"S THAT? THERE MUST ALWAYS BE A DR. CLAW AND HE WAS TOYING WITH US?)

Edit: Okay, I'll also cede that, although Malygos was part of a rather disappointing tier and it felt a bit odd for me, the blue dragonflight story was a decent set up for future development.
    I agree with you, but i did liked the fact that Kel'thuzad had a phylactery (HOW THE FUCK DID THE OTHERS BOSS CAME BACK?! MAYBE GLUTH -just another dog- or Maexxna -maybe one of Maexxna offsprings didn't died and the scourge made experiments on it and now we have another Maex- )

10+ Year Old Account
    From best to worst:

Wrath..MoP.....Cata..BC.......................Classic
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

People who pick marshes of crapdaria.....ugh jesus christ what's WRONG with you. You've had your fun and you've killed Warcraft lore irrevocably now stop pretending this whole expansion is anything more than a lore clusterffff....

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    People who pick marshes of crapdaria.....ugh jesus christ what's WRONG with you. You've had your fun and you've killed Warcraft lore irrevocably now stop pretending this whole expansion is anything more than a lore clusterffff....
    Thanks, you've given us excellent and valuable critique on MoP lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    There were two humongous moments in the game when I was sitting on the edge of my chair:

1. "No more, Arthas. No more lives will be consumed by your hatred." and "Free at last! It is over my son, this is the moment of reckoning." by Tirion and Terenas at the end of the Lich King 10% roleplay.

2. "My King, I promise you. The Kirin Tor will come down on Garrosh so hard his ancestor will reel! Blood will pay for blood!" by Jaina at the end of Operation: Shieldwall.

Number 1 was the ending of a decade-long story. Number 2 is the introduction into some major events that keep the story moving into the unknown. It might also be related to the fact that I love Jaina as much as I can't stand Garrosh.

But I still voted for Mists of Pandaria, probably because it's so fresh. The story is also very well interwoven into the overall world lore.

Cataclysm also had a great story and it was a story which started a very long time ago in the game. The delivery of the story was just a bit weak overall, but the bits and pieces themselves were good. The Hyjal/Firelands arc is really good and the Dragon Soul story (starting with the dungeons) is also very good if you ignore the time travel issues of our own known physics which are explained in the game in different ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    WotLK had the most coherent, cohesive, well-implemented and soundly wrapped up story line to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Thanks, you've given us excellent and valuable critique on MoP lore.
    On MOP lo-what? You mean the unexplained Algalon type boss in the mosswhatever vaults that's inexplicably captured and contained by a mortal race?

You mean every unrelated pandaren monkey/silithid 2.0/tauren 2.0 problems I have to solve which don't advance the story in any way whatsoever except say "you're fixing these things because you caused them, and if you didn't come to this land none of this would have been necessary, since you wouldn't have caused them."?

You mean Wrathion sending me to war with the opposing force while he knows that's what fuels the shaaaaaaa? And why exactly is our war not bringing it back again?

You mean the oh so scary shaaaaaaa, 3 or 4 of whose manifestations are defeat throughout dungeons before the expansions even really kicks off in 2nd gear? So much for all powerfull manifestations.

Or is it the carbon copy of China's history that fascinates you so much about how slaves invented martial arts and how the Great Wall was built to stop the Huns? Because if you like that stuff so much I can recommend some good books on actual history which tells the same events without pandas as protagonists.

I agree with Shangalar though, the actual Alliance vs Horde stuff in patch 5.1 is actually good (since it's Warcraft). Get a reason to love Jaina again.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    This just in, people have different opinions. More news at 11.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Mists or Pandaria ain't over yet, so I'll have to reserve judgement 'til it's done. But in terms of finished expacs so far, Wrath by a mile.

Wrath. To me it was the only tightly held together storyline based in lore. TBC, all over the place. Vashj was collecting water? Wat? Cata, also all over the place, multiple story lines going together with no tie up besides "Deathwing got all these people together"

MOP is going really well, I just haven't seen the rest of it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I can't help but laugh at all the diehard fanboys voting MOP.

I still play the game and will probably continue to do so, but the lore in Mists doesn't even come close to holding a candle to the lore in Wrath.