Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New to Fury, Questions

So I specced fury for fun, because I like dual wielding on warriors, and I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong.

I start off charging, then I Bloodthirst and then Colossal Smash, but after that, what? If nothing procs, do I just sit there auto attacking until CS or BT come off cooldown? According to Icy Veins rotational thing, I should only use Wild Strikes when Blood Surge procs, so am I missing something?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Heroic Strike. Or use Berserk Rage to proc a Raging Blow.

So Heroic Strike even if I only have, like, 30 - 40 rage?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    So Heroic Strike even if I only have, like, 30 - 40 rage?
    No.

Heroic strike only serves 2 purposes:

1. Rage dump because it is off the global cool-down so in the extremely rare circumstance you can't spend rage fast enough with other buttons, you use this one.

2. To squeeze more into a CS window, but the keyword is 'more'; as in - in addition to whatever you're spending globals on.

So in the scenario you asked about, using berserker rage to proc raging blow would be great. Else you default to wild strike (SMF) or whirlwind (TG/gylphed) as your 'filler'.

Perhaps above all, you should not be using a CS when you have no rage/procs to use inside it

Quote Originally Posted by Famine View Post
    No.

Heroic strike only serves 2 purposes:

1. Rage dump because it is off the global cool-down so in the extremely rare circumstance you can't spend rage fast enough with other buttons, you use this one.

2. To squeeze more into a CS window, but the keyword is 'more'; as in - in addition to whatever you're spending globals on.

So in the scenario you asked about, using berserker rage to proc raging blow would be great. Else you default to wild strike (SMF) or whirlwind (TG/gylphed) as your 'filler'.

Perhaps above all, you should not be using a CS when you have no rage/procs to use inside it
    Does Wild Strike do more damage than Heroic Strike?
    (I'm at work right now and can't log in to check)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    Does Wild Strike do more damage than Heroic Strike?
    (I'm at work right now and can't log in to check)
    They serve different purposes, so it´s obsolet which one deals more damage. Wild Strike is a nice-to-have filler for those times, when Bloodthirst and Raging Blow are on cooldown or you are not enraged. Heroic Strike will dump your rage. You can aim for a 80-rage-benchmark (if you glyphed Endless Rage) to use Heroic Strike.
    So, I usually DO use CS right in the beginning for two reasons: 1) Due to Charge and Battleshout I usually have enough rage to not waste any of the CS-debuff and 2) CS is able to enrage me. Next comes Bloodthirst. If neither enrages me, I pop Berserkerrage. Raging Blow next.

In general you can say: Always spare Berserkerage for those times, when neither CS nor BT did enrage you, use WS only if nothing better is up (you don´t have to use all three stacks in a row!), abuse the debuff time of CS as much as possible (Pool rage before, use Heroic jump off-gcd with death from above glyph, deadly calm + 3 almost free HS) and do never panic-heroic-strike if you are not above 80 rage. And lastly, don´t forget about Heroic Throw. It may be used as a filler every 30 seconds as well.
    Last edited by Valech; 2013-02-18 at 02:06 AM.

Yes Wild Strike does more damage than HS, so if you are in a CS with no RB or BT available, use WS over HS.

I'm MS prot and starting to fill out my Fury set and had a question similar to this. There definitely seems to be a void in the rotation and I was more or less asking what to fill it with. I'm TG, so it looks like my filler is WW from what Famine said?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Go tank. You'll live longer.

Can't say the same thing about keeping your hair, though.

Quick question, which one is better, WW (glyphed) or WS? Both as a TG fury warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoTxc View Post
    Quick question, which one is better, WW (glyphed) or WS? Both as a TG fury warrior.
    WW beats WS as TG when you have the glyph buff up

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    They serve different purposes, so it´s obsolet which one deals more damage. Wild Strike is a nice-to-have filler for those times, when Bloodthirst and Raging Blow are on cooldown or you are not enraged. Heroic Strike will dump your rage. You can aim for a 80-rage-benchmark (if you glyphed Endless Rage) to use Heroic Strike.
    This is completely wrong. Wild Strike is just as much of a rage dump as heroic strike. If you have 30 rage, an empty GCD, no enrage, no CS debuff, you're not going to use Wild Strike. You're going to leave that GCD empty (or use shout / heroic throw if available).

The damage difference matters, because you wouldn't use 30 rage Wild Strikes if they were dealing less damage than Heroic Strike.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I´m sorry for being unclear. Of course I thought of WS as a filler when Bloodsurge is up. In the 30-rage-scenario I´d leave the GCD empty as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    I´m sorry for being unclear. Of course I thought of WS as a filler when Bloodsurge is up. In the 30-rage-scenario I´d leave the GCD empty as well.
    If you are highly rage starved you might end up leaving empty globals even with Bloodsurge up if the next CS is close (this will change in 5.2 when WS is free with the proc).

Okay so now im pretty confused by contradicting comments.

Lets say I charge in, Bloodthirst - Col.Smash - Raging Blow - pop Berserk - another raging blow.

Now what if i did not get a bloodsurge proc. Do I use normal wild strike or heroic strike?

I am under the impression i should always use heroic strike if i dont have bloodsurge up.

Noxxic says this: From here (after Bt and CS), use Raging Blow whenever available and save Wild Strike for Bloodsurge procs. Dump excess Rage (80+) with Heroic Strike, but remember that Heroic Strike is not on the GCD and should be used along with your other abilities.

I understand this as use it whenever available when you cant use BT, CS, RB, WS with bloodsurge. I mean HS is not on the GCD so i should use it always over WS without procs correct?

Can anyone that knows, please clear this up?
    Last edited by Morgromir; 2013-02-19 at 04:20 PM.

WS are used in high rage situations if CS is not applied to the target. HS will do more damage if CS is applied.

WS does more damage than HS, whether you are in a CS or not. If you have enough RB procs to fill your 4 CS GCD's with RBs and BTs, you use HS to empty as much rage is possible within the debuff window. If you do not have enough RB stacks to fill the CS window, it's better to skip a HS and use WS on the free GCD.

Example 1:

You enter CS window with 1 RB stack and do BTcrit -> RB -> RB -> BT. In this case you are able to fill all CS GCD's and should use HS alongside it as much as your rage allows.

Example 2:

You enter CS window with 1 RB stack and do RB -> BTnocrit. At point you can not fit any more BTs or RBs into your CS window outside of using zerker rage. Let's assume it is on cooldown. If you have 60+ rage left you should finish the CS window with two WS. If you have 90+ you can add HS in aswell.

Basically, WS always takes priority over HS when you are not GCD capped.

Outside of CS window you should almost never have to use HS unless you are about to ragecap in the middle of a GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataru View Post
    WS does more damage than HS, whether you are in a CS or not. If you have enough RB procs to fill your 4 CS GCD's with RBs and BTs, you use HS to empty as much rage is possible within the debuff window. If you do not have enough RB stacks to fill the CS window, it's better to skip a HS and use WS on the free GCD.

Example 1:

You enter CS window with 1 RB stack and do BTcrit -> RB -> RB -> BT. In this case you are able to fill all CS GCD's and should use HS alongside it as much as your rage allows.

Example 2:

You enter CS window with 1 RB stack and do RB -> BTnocrit. At point you can not fit any more BTs or RBs into your CS window outside of using zerker rage. Let's assume it is on cooldown. If you have 60+ rage left you should finish the CS window with two WS. If you have 90+ you can add HS in aswell.

Basically, WS always takes priority over HS when you are not GCD capped.

Outside of CS window you should almost never have to use HS unless you are about to ragecap in the middle of a GCD.
    Thanks a lot, that made things clear

Above 20%.

The rules of Fury, outside of a CS window:
    - Use BT on cd.
    - Use RB if you have two stacks or if you have one stack but the time remaining on the buff is longer than the current cd of CS.
    - Use WS during a BS proc.
    - Use WS (SMF)/WW (TG) if you're going to rage cap before the next CS.
    - Use your spells that cost no rage.
    * You want to have 120 rage at the beginning of the next CS. (Probably the most important thing in this list.)
    * You want to anticipate well enough in order to use RB and WS/WW only while enraged.

The rules of Fury, during a CS window:
    - Use BT on cooldown.
    - Use as many RB as possible.
    - Use WS (SMF)/WW (TG) to fill any remaining gcd.
    - If you're enraged, use HS too, to get your rage to 0.
    * If Deadly calm is active, use HS instead of WS/WW. (If you're enraged, use both.)
    * You don't need to use HS if you're not enraged. (An enraged non-cs WS deals more damage than a non-enraged cs HS.)

Below 20%.

The rules of Fury, outside of a CS window:
    - Use BT on cd.
    - Use RB when available.
    - Use Execute if you're going to rage cap before the next CS.
    - Use your spells that cost no rage.
    * You want to have 120 rage at the beginning of the next CS.
    * You want to anticipate well enough in order to use RB and Execute only while enraged.
    * Don't use WS/WW. Even during a BS proc.

The correct usage of CS: CS - Exec - Exec - Exec - Exec.

There's already a thread for opening so I won't discuss it here.
    There are also some other tricks to learn with our cd, like the fact that during Recklessness, if you have two stacks of RB, RB has a higher priority than BT.
    But if you learn these simple rules you should already be rather good with your spec.
    Last edited by Senen; 2013-02-20 at 09:32 AM.

Nice summary, there are a couple of things in there I hadn't thought about myself.