Poll: Is WoW too RNG orientated?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

RNG In World of Warcraft

I know that RNG has been a major part of what WoW bases on, but after 8 years of the same patterns, be it the 0.1% / 1% mounts, or items, drops, craftables, proc's, move sets, and even bosses, does anyone else wish for a more solid form of "luck" in WoW? And does anyone else feel that WoW is too [Gambler's Theory] RNG orientated?

I personally think that RNG is "too" random; to a point of envy and possibly depression. Feeling achieved is a good experience, and should most definitely feel worth it... but there are some people who have farmed for something for 6 years without any luck, while others have had the "luck" of obtaining it on their first go. This can be a terrible feeling as well as demotivating to anyone.

Lets just call it having an "RNG cap".
    If I could change RNG I would hope to craft it into something more solid. Such as changing this "gambler's theory" into a more guaranteed percentage.
    Say if 1 item is 0.1% or 1%, with the gambler's theory, no matter how many times you kill this mob it will ALWAYS have a 0.1% / 1% drop. You could kill it 1,000 times and still not obtain it.

It would be nice if that item was guaranteed after a certain amount of kills. Using the Ashes of Alar as a random example here, keep it at it's 1% drop - but make it so that once 1 character has killed Kael without luck after ... say ... 199 runs ... that 200th run will give them their guaranteed drop. So this doesn't take away from being able to get this mount before hitting 200 runs, but it just creates a cap so a person doesn't feel mortified by their absolutely terrible RNG.

Discuss: How would you change RNG, if you could or want to change it? Does Anyone feel that WoW is too [Gambler's Theory] RNG orientated?

Deleted
    RNG is the reason WoW exists. PvP, PvE, loot, stats, everything. The worst example of RNG are critical hits. Imagine having 80% critical chance on a skill and having it hit 4 times before you get a crit. Most arena matches are heavily oriented around RNG, meaning that burst needs you to critical hit your target.

I hate RNG. It's unpredictable, unfair and the only reason it exists is because people like to gamble. If we were to have a fair game, especially in PvP, all skills that have % chance to proc, should be removed, or reworked to proc after x times a certain event occurs.

I prefer RNG being what it is, random. Setting a cap kind of defeats the purpose of not knowing if it will drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Randomness is very, very important for both game longevity and excitement
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

A little RNG is great because you get the "I WIN" feeling.
    Too much RNG especially when it's tied to the best gear just feels unfair.

I could give a crap about mounts.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    I prefer RNG being what it is, random. Setting a cap kind of defeats the purpose of not knowing if it will drop.
    It doesn't really defeat the purpose of not knowing if it will drop since you still have the chance throughout farming of obtaining it sooner Again, setting a 200 kill cap for the Ashes of Alar is just an example, but there would still be a possibility of it dropping unpredictably before 200 kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnarch View Post
    RNG is the reason WoW exists. PvP, PvE, loot, stats, everything. The worst example of RNG are critical hits. Imagine having 80% critical chance on a skill and having it hit 4 times before you get a crit. Most arena matches are heavily oriented around RNG, meaning that burst needs you to critical hit your target.

I hate RNG. It's unpredictable, unfair and the only reason it exists is because people like to gamble. If we were to have a fair game, especially in PvP, all skills that have % chance to proc, should be removed, or reworked to proc after x times a certain event occurs.
    You want an example of horrible RNG crits? Go to Tf2, in wow crits are so often they work their way into a straight dps increase.

For the record, random crits in Tf2 are the only thing left to RNG, and they hate it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Pretty sure it's more exciting to actually get the item than to, like, not.

Mounts and pets, sure no problems there. Stuff should take you a while to get it.
    weapons and armor, again sure no problems.
    Going the entire expansion without seeing your weapon or helm token, not cool with that though.

maybe up the chances a little, maybe 35% or 45%, still enough that it's gonna take you a few weeks/coins whatever, but high enough so you actually stand a chance of seeing it before you a driven mad insanity and hatred. Even after it has long been made obsolete by subsequent new tiers.

No more of this 1% chance from troll dig site Zin'rokh bullshit.

RNG on top of RNG can die a horribly painful death. Need RNG to line up to give me troll digsites, then on to of that need RNG to give me the Zin'rokh project. Yeah. Not cool.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    I predict this thread is either 1: you got lucky and "rng is great", or 2: it's been a bitch and "rng spanked my bottom."
    Sadly I sit in the latter atm
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

RNG on vanity stuff isn't really important and definitely not game breaking.

Now RNG on class mechanics, gear drop, boss abilities is crucial to make the game interesting but sometimes it just snowballs out of control in WoW.
    I loved RNG on Yor'sahj but oh boy I hated it on Blackhorn (RNG on bombs, RNG on fire, RNG on firefighters... really ?).

I just feel sometimes RNG should be kept in check, not by adding some sort of cap but by limiting RNG factors to an acceptable number, having 4 RNG abilities on a boss isn't fun, having spells do from 100% to 400%+ damage (I'm thinking about ele sham here) is too much imo.

The problem with the RNG system is not in that it is random but in that the percentage for a thing to happen is schewed too far in the direction of it not. Percentages are not cumulative past the first attempt so a 1% chance might as well be in truth a .00000000000001% chance. A 6% chance to miss in no real circumstance should lead to strings of 6-8 Shield of the Rigtheous misses at the pull during our non hit capped phase of tanking in Cata. That is just bad seeds or flat out lies about what the actual percentages are.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    I predict this thread is either 1: you got lucky and "rng is great", or 2: it's been a bitch and "rng spanked my bottom."
    Sadly I sit in the latter atm
    I think the issue is that there are generally more spankings than hugs.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

My main is a Fire Mage...don't even get me started on RNG, lol

UNLIMITED TRIES are OK with the RNG. But when you have to sit and wait for one entire week for another try, it's getting out of hand already. One difficulty superimposed to another difficulty is completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    I agree with this, but I wish randomness would like me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    UNLIMITED TRIES are OK with the RNG. But when you have to sit and wait for one entire week for another try, it's getting out of hand already. One difficulty superimposed to another difficulty is completely unnecessary.
    how about the new proc system? seems like a lot less dependability on things to proc that you count into whatever numbers you are looking to generate for your class.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol the rng in wow is so little ....go try any korean mmo than come back here and talk about rng.....get 10 orbs---> 4 month latter still farming herbs to get said 10 orbs

RNG = Gambling. Winning at gambling = Extreme, addictive endorphin release rush similar to physical activity, sex, drugs, etc.

World of Warcraft + RNG = a big contributing factor to why you're still playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    lol the rng in wow is so little ....go try any korean mmo than come back here and talk about rng.....get 10 orbs---> 4 month latter still farming herbs to get said 10 orbs
    and that is why koreans did not get shared lock outs dumped on them?

I can't stand RNG, I always get screwed by it and have horrible luck with everything. That said its just how things are in this game. If I get fed up with it, I just stop bothering anyways.