Deleted

Getting use to a UI?

I've been playing around with my UI quite a bit recently, tried some elv/tuk, tried some minimalistic ones, even some class specific ones, but I can not seem to get use to them. I always find myself going back to default UI.

I was told to just PvP and do raids with them but after a few days, I still wasn't as use to it as I was default. I know where everything is in my head, but it takes just that split second longer to react them it would if I was using default.

I guess the question would be, how long does it normally take you to get use to a new UI. The longest I had one for was 4 days and I was never happier to see my old, default UI again. That said I do wan't a new UI, I love how some of them long and make information just that little easier to see, but I honestly can't see myself using one long enough to get use to it.

I'm going to assume here so if I'm wrong please ignore it.

I'm assuming when you try a new UI you are using the default settings that it chooses for the placement of frames and other UI elements. If that is the case it could take you two weeks if not more to get used to the new layout on top of the new art style. To make the transition smoother you could move the frames into areas closer to where the default UI places them and after you adjust to the new art move them into the areas that most UI place them (slightly below center screen).

I know your problem. I played around with about 4 -5 different UI's leaving them on for a few days and then going "Gosh I hate this"

My only advice is once you find a UI you are happy with you will know it. I changed constantly and then as soon as I got my current one I was like that's it and havent changed yet. It just takes a few tries or a while to find something you are happy with.

I have been playing wow for 5-6 years, I constantly change and edit my UI.
    Takes along time to get it "perfect" for what you want personally.
    Just move bits around when you feel like its not doing what you want it to

I would recommend looking at the UI's you've tried and other ones aswell, then try to look at what you like about it.
    Find some addons and try to copy the parts of the UI's you like and make it your own.

I've tried out quite a few compilations in my time, and there was always something I didn't like about them. That was the start of my own.

You could also download a UI and delete or change addons around.

I ended making my own UI for your exact same reasons

TBH, everyone plays differently and is used to different things. The only thing i say is that defaylt Blizzard UI can be improved a lot - but if someone finds that it's good enough, there's nothing wrong.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Thanks guys. I think I found out how to do it. Instead of changing everything in 1 go, change small parts, get use to it, then change some more. Currently changed my timers to NeedtoKnow and have already got use to it, only 1 day after switching, will take some time but feels worth it

What I like to do is build the UI on my own and play a lot on it, not just download a compilation, because no one has the same play style.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Deleted
    I would highly recommend just downloading addons that you feel you need to give you more information like you seem to want but just put them in places which you know you can get use to so that you make your own UI and arrange them very similar to the default UI. If that is what you are use to and you play better with that setup then expand and improve on it. There is no need to change what already works well for you. Addons are suppose to help, not give you a disadvantage.

My approach is a bit different, because I'm not a graphics designer so while I "know what I like when I see it", I can't envision it in my head beforehand. So, I browse wowinterface and find something that I think I like. I use it for a few days, and try to determine what I like/don't like (usually it comes down to fonts and border colors!). Grab another one, tinker again. After using a few, I realize what addons are in common between them that I like, and those that I don't.

What I've personally ended up with is a combination of ElvUI and RealUI. ElvUI with some tweaks to fonts and borders handle most of a the non-central UI elements (chat panels, minimap, actionbars). RealUI serves to handle all the central HUD elements, such as the actual HUD, resource counters (chi/orbs/whatever), and unit frames. The big win here is that I now have an interface I'm quite happy with, and both UIs come fully featured such that they are very easy to configure and maintain. While I still tweak a few things here and there on occassion, it has been a _long_ while since I've made any massive changes (which is rare for me).

It's just like anything new, it takes time to get used to it. It's just like getting a new job. You can't expect to get the hang of it all on the very first day.

The hardest part for me is muscle memory. My fingers get so used to hitting my fourth mouse button for an interrupt that when I change it something else fight specific it throws off my whole groove. It's just a practice thing though, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that helped me was to put my raid frames into the spot where the default UI's party frames are. I was used to looking at the party frames (and, I am ashamed to say, clicking them and pressing hotkeys to heal) back in BC; so when I started raiding, I just popped my healbot into the same spot. Now I can switch UIs basically any time I want, and as long as my minimap, actionbars, and healbot remain in the same general areas, I'm golden. Now that I've been healing for close to 6 years, I generally watch my healbot for my own health rather than my unit frame anyway, though I've certainly gotten used to having it in the middle now that I've played like that for a couple of years.

Incidentally, I've gone through quite a few of them over the last couple years, just trying different things. I found LUI about a year ago and fell madly in love. It's freaking AMAZING. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2013-02-19 at 02:39 PM.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach-Babe View Post
    I know your problem. I played around with about 4 -5 different UI's leaving them on for a few days and then going "Gosh I hate this"

My only advice is once you find a UI you are happy with you will know it. I changed constantly and then as soon as I got my current one I was like that's it and havent changed yet. It just takes a few tries or a while to find something you are happy with.
    agreed, i used to change ui x times a DAY until i just settled for this one im using now.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me the issue is almost always the unit frames. There is almost always something quirky about them that just drives me insane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm Backflip View Post
    The hardest part for me is muscle memory. My fingers get so used to hitting my fourth mouse button for an interrupt that when I change it something else fight specific it throws off my whole groove. It's just a practice thing though, really.
    I guess we all got that issue. I tried moving with esdf for some time instead of wasd. I changed it back like 5min after..

Deleted
    I can only speak for myself of course but when I first changed my UI which was in early WOTLK or late BC I think to remember I was looking at other ppls UIs and downloaded the needed addons for this to make kind of my own out of it. I think I'm still quite close to the standard UI with my buttons/bars I chose the addon bartender (you can place all your bars how and where you want them to be) and Suf (shadowed unit frames) for frames of you/focus/boss/target/etc. and buffs/debuffs. I added some more addons but still I like to keep it simple and only see informations and stuff I need to know so my screen doesn't confuse me with too much details.
    To give you an answer to your question as how long does it take to get used to a new UI: I usually need a few days and after that it might still be some kind of strange but you'll get used to it in about 2 or 3 weeks. At least I'm like that, depending on the impact it takes on my screen.
    Hope this might help you good luck.

using elvui atm took me a while to appriciate it but i realy like it now! D: