Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    Cheating would insinuate that the other people competing can't do what you did to achieve the same result.
    Nice try Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    Nice try Lance.
    If there is a rule in place and you break it, then yes, you're cheating.

Now direct yourself to my previous post describing the rules of speedrunning.

15+ Year Old Account
    The rules of speedrunning are as follows:

Don't use third party software/hardware or anything else outside of the game to gain an edge.
    Get from the beginning to the end.

That's it. Anything else that can possibly happen is fair game.
    I'm sorry if you can't accept what speedrunning is.
    Why can't you use software or hardware to gain an edge? Did they do their run with a standard two button mouse? Standard keyboard? Did any have a naga or multi button mouse? Did they use WoWhead to research abilities? Did they use chat rooms to talk about what to do before hand? Your rules are arbitrary because you are creating them to allow cheating.

When does the timer for a run actual start? When you start the run (first zone in to start stacking the debuff) or when you start the timer after you reset it to gain an advantage? Either way it doesn't add up to the fastest speed run because the timer is inaccurate to the actual time spent doing the run.

Also they used addons, which are third party software, to complete their run. It broke your own rules and is therefore cheating. Or are you going to now create new rules?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nice job. Don't worry about the small people that complain about cheating/exploiting whenever something is done in the non-obvious and non-intended way.

not that you wouldn't see the record time if you wanted to anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Just do it the easy way, post that video on Blizzard forum and ask if that is OK, if they think that is OK, then it is OK I guess.

Afterall it is down to Blizzard to decide, so doesn't matter who think is cheating and who think it is not here.
    A previous record was set using the reset trick but they didn't stack it by kiting. The response was pretty much "hey, nicely done!"

The butthurt pedants here are just that. It's up to people wanting fast runs to find what gives an edge. As long as that available to anyone with the skill to master it then I can't see how people can even think its cheating.

If people want to get arsey over something then they should whine about dk's controlling undead in SM and raping the instance with it at high stacks.

I didn't say it, big grats to the guys that managed this. Very impressive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    The butthurt pedants here are just that. It's up to people wanting fast runs to find what gives an edge. As long as that available to anyone with the skill to master it then I can't see how people can even think its cheating.
    But why is it a fast run when they've already spent X time doing a run? You have to aid the time they spent getting the debuff to the time they started the counter for the true time of the speed run. Anything else is just manipulating the clock to give yourself a faster time. Which is why it is cheating and why it isn't a legitimate time.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I don't see how people liken this to cheating in sports and such, which are one-time competitive events.

Challenge Modes are an ongoing event. Anyone can come in and beat someone else's time at any point. That includes any point after the discovery of certain tactics that can cut some more time off the clock. It's not like these guys got the world record time through 'cheating' and it's unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Why can't you use software or hardware to gain an edge? Did they do their run with a standard two button mouse? Standard keyboard? Did any have a naga or multi button mouse? Did they use WoWhead to research abilities? Did they use chat rooms to talk about what to do before hand? Your rules are arbitrary because you are creating them to allow cheating.

When does the timer for a run actual start? When you start the run (first zone in to start stacking the debuff) or when you start the timer after you reset it to gain an advantage? Either way it doesn't add up to the fastest speed run because the timer is inaccurate to the actual time spent doing the run.

Also they used addons, which are third party software, to complete their run. It broke your own rules and is therefore cheating. Or are you going to now create new rules?
    You sound mad.

Its not like this group of 5 were the first 5 people to use this "Trick" or "Cheat" as you like to put it, when it clearly isn't. The resetting of the instance to start with a stack of like 15 or so, is a common thing for getting Gold in Siege, this group of 5 took that one step further and kept the debuff the entire dungeon, which took skill.

The Resetting of the instance has no reason to reset the debuff, there is no block of code that states > if enterDungeon(0, 0) { clearDebuff } < as you seem to think there is, you can enter plenty of dungeons with a full row of DoT's from a warlock on you and then proceed to die, common knowledge at this point to use the debuff as a buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But why is it a fast run when they've already spent X time doing a run? You have to aid the time they spent getting the debuff to the time they started the counter for the true time of the speed run. Anything else is just manipulating the clock to give yourself a faster time. Which is why it is cheating and why it isn't a legitimate time.
    I disagree. So does Blizzard and thats what matters.

You can keep hammering your opinion down peoples throats but I think people are polarized atm so it won't change much.

is that not exploiting? i am sure the developers did not intend said buff to be obtained inside then instance reset and buff kept to have a clear advantage. personally i hope its fixed and you loose your ranking. a full or nearly 2 min ahead of the next rank group that ran it? yea thats exploiting only reason it hasnt been caught and done something about yet is... you guessed it nobody cares about challenge modes
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

The rules of speedrunning are as follows:

Don't use third party software/hardware or anything else outside of the game to gain an edge.
    Get from the beginning to the end.

That's it. Anything else that can possibly happen is fair game.
    I'm sorry if you can't accept what speedrunning is.
    they used addons so they fail right there end of story. Also the guy made a brand new account to brag about how they cheated to get a World record lmao go outside and play some more and maybe cheating to get a world record on a video game wont be the highlight of your life.

This will be fixed soon and I can see the time being removed. Clearly an exploit. And you think otherwise, post the video into the WOW forums.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...amutx/advanced

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sometimes those opinions are wrong though." Daxxarri

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    but their dps through the rest of the instance is 300-500% higher than others...which makes all the difference, and anyway anyone using this tactic is just copying, copying being the greatest form of flattery.
    No offense, but this 'strat' is obvious to everyone who has ever done the instance. Doesn't make it less impressive to see, but believe me, everyone who cares about records knows HOW to do niuzao.

Quote Originally Posted by kos1085 View Post
    This will be fixed soon and I can see the time being removed. Clearly an exploit.
    The debuff not resetting has worked for a VERY long time and has been something that nearly EVERY SINGLE Siege i've ever done, has been said by some one in the group "Want to reset for the debuff?" Sounds like common knowledge to me.

Clever use of game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    they used addons so they fail right there end of story.
    stopped reading....blah blah weak arguement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    While this trick is very good, your boss dps was ridicilious low at the first boss & someone with a similiar strategy will beat you on the first run :/
    No lust, you usualy lust on the first boss. and they still beat my record on that boss my like, 6-8 seconds. everything counts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaving View Post
    That is so far from true it isn't funny. Back when my group had a majority of the fastest times in the world (and the only difference between those times and the current times is that we haven't had a group to go back and just push ourselves harder) not a single instance had a 'clever use of mechanics' with the exception of SM (and even then, I did not take part in that one). We just pulled big, pushed DPS hard and that's that. You don't need to exploit to get good times, it's possible without. Feel free to go watch the videos, too they're all still some of the fastest times in the world.

Having a priest for heals is pretty OP for getting the absolute best of the best.
    Umm, what? Almost every single CM has a 'gimmick' to it in order to push the fastest times because you need to think outside the box and do everything you can to really push a fast time. Maybe you had fast times a month ago but with spreed running it almost means nothing since the leader boards change so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahoraba View Post
    You sound mad.

Its not like this group of 5 were the first 5 people to use this "Trick" or "Cheat" as you like to put it, when it clearly isn't. The resetting of the instance to start with a stack of like 15 or so, is a common thing for getting Gold in Siege, this group of 5 took that one step further and kept the debuff the entire dungeon, which took skill.

The Resetting of the instance has no reason to reset the debuff, there is no block of code that states > if enterDungeon(0, 0) { clearDebuff } < as you seem to think there is, you can enter plenty of dungeons with a full row of DoT's from a warlock on you and then proceed to die, common knowledge at this point to use the debuff as a buffer.
    The fact other groups did it before or that it takes "skill" to do doesn't make it legit.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Very impressive tactic. Definitly some norwegian people in that group