Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Am I bad for ditching a total pug as a healer with a tank in DPS spec?

long story short: jade temple heroic, total pug, tank is a DK, starts in total frost presence and spec, doesn't change spec or presence and plays totally wrong. I ditched that group after 2 trash packs, because I simply won't heal a tank in DPS spec.

are my standards too high for expecting an actual tank in a heroic?

Deleted
    your call i'd say

If you actually was able to heal through the damage he was taking, I find your decision wrong. If you were unable to cope with the damage and asked him to switch to a tank spec which he didn't, you did the right thing.

Deleted
    I'm actually seriously wondering if the DK was stupid. Blood does more DPS on thrash anyway, so why not play blood...

Anyway, your standards aren't too high. If you don't want to heal a DPS tanking, then just leave. This doesn't happen that much anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could have tried to get him to change spec or, in case he refused, kick him. There's the argument that "if you could handle healing it, just do it", but that's really only valid if things die before they pose any danger to the group as a whole, which is often not the case unless it's a guild run with grossly overgeared members. More often than not, these "dps tanks" will think they're hot shit and will die faster than a low level mob when they start pulling, regardless of how much healing you pump out.

This isn't a matter of having high or low standards. It's a matter of doing what you queued as instead of being a burden for the group. Heroics may be easy now, but we're not in patch 3.3, we're not at a point where running a 5 DPS group will net you a quick run with no risk in a pure PuG. People should save these kinds of runs for their friends/guilds.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2013-02-17 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

I'd say it depends on his ability/gear. I've shadow healed dps guildies tanking before, and i've struggled healing tanks as discipline before. If you asked him to switch if you were slamming your head against a brick wall I don't blame you. If you were being prude for the sake of being prude the group was probably better off without you.

Deleted
    If you can heal through it and if it was as relaxing as with a tank in tank specc. Than personally I would just have continued and tried.

But if you have a game of aggro ping pong and it was impossible to keep the tank up and after having told the tank to switch to tank specc and he didn't. Well either i would have left or tried voting the tank out.

But the heroics in MoP are laughable so the punishment for showing up doing stuff wrong is almost non existent. a lot of the time if you pull smart the dps can "tank" the trash while the tank goes to the toilet.

Deleted
    No, you aren't bad. I'd do same thing if i was healer.

Only if you asked him first- hey dude your still in dps spec/gear! I know i sometimes forget that im in my dps spec, but would prob notice when im losing aggro all over.

Maybe he genuinely forget while dailies to swap back to tank spec. it happens.

No. You signed as a healer, and your role was to heal. The same goes for him, his role was to tank, and that means being in Blood Presence. You're fine in my books.

Deleted
    I "heal" as shadow in the chemical crown whatever eventboss. Halo and VE should be enough for anyone, if the scrub meathead warriors choose to stand in crap and die thats what they deserve really, cuz that boss dont need a proper healer.

As for your situation, yes its your right to leave if you don't want to do it. If he was doing good dps i'd stick around myself i supose, but hey ho im the guy that used to heal and run HCs in wotlk with full hc geared fury warrior holding threat with pure damage. I like when they go faster, and if that means me or the tank being in dps spec then yeah..
    Last edited by mmocdd0538594c; 2013-02-17 at 01:57 PM.

Deleted
    because I simply won't heal a tank in DPS spec.

Yes, you don't need a tank to be tankspecced for hcs. However this:

starts in total frost presence
    gave you the right to leave, since the guy actually won't have the threat to tank then.

Deleted
    He'd have queued as tank for the insta-queue so no, he should be a proper tank or leave or he's just taking advantage of everyone.

Nope, not in my opinion. That kind of stuff may fly when you're leveling but I expect at least a basic grasp of your character - including what spec does what - by the time you're at the level cap. If you can't be bothered to spend the tiny amount of time and effort learning at least that much about your character, I'm sure as hell not going to spend the time and effort to heal a tank who can't hold aggro or take damage anyway.

And in the case he did it intentionally, I still would have left. Use the spec designed for the role you signed up for.
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2013-02-17 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    What you did was totaly, absolutly, without any doubt right.
    If the instance is easy enough to run without a real tank, you could do it, but only if the healer agrees to it. It is not a question of "could you heal it", but more "do you want to put that extra work into it"?
    Running as dps and expecting to be healed is putting the workload onto the healer instead of spreading it out.
    You can run heroics with oomkin tanks, if the healer is his buddy and the oomkin actually holds aggro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    long story short: jade temple heroic, total pug, tank is a DK, starts in total frost presence and spec, doesn't change spec or presence and plays totally wrong. I ditched that group after 2 trash packs, because I simply won't heal a tank in DPS spec.

Did you ask him if he was aware that he isn't in tank spec?
    Would be interesting to know. People are sometimes distracted and forget the most simple basics.. Not that I haven't been there before myself.
    I managed to heal even raids partially flawed.. I remember healing Marrowgar and Deathwhisper in ICC with the fishing pole still equipped.
    or 5 man healing in the right spec, but with still wearing feral gear.
    Most recently I keep starting runs with the pet tamer helm still on... Done it before with the cooking hat..
    Essentially, I've done it all before. I'm an airhead when it comes to that. Shoot me for it. lol

But in overall, I would not say you are too picky. If a tank thinks it's funny to be in wrong spec, or wrong gear, then he can do that.... But without me.
    Either the group kicks him, or I leave. After clarifying why the situation exists of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes after raid night has ended, 5 of us get into a H. We don't even need a healer. DK queues tank, I (monk) queue heals but stay WW, and we have 3 regular dps.. Damn fast too.

As for the OT: I was tanking a H today.. got Stormstout and forgot to realise I was still in dps spec before pulling the first pack. Popped fort brew, chain stunned and switched back to tank. My guess the same happened with the DK.. unfortunately like most skilled tanks who pull the whole corridor of water elementals, forgetting that you're dps and doing that, would be a problem.
    Last edited by Azelias; 2013-02-17 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post

Did you ask him to get in the right presence/specc?

If you didn't, then you're pretty elitist.

If you did ask, even jokingly or sorta jerkish, and he STILL didn't, then nah, fuck that idiot.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    You did the right thing, hell, id let him die and then leave.

Your choice to leave, does not matter what others think, doesn't matter why you left either. you can leave if he is wrong spec, wrong class, name spelt wrong, he says hi.... you can leave for anything at all.

I have left dungeons just because i didn't feel like being in it anymore.... even if they were good.