Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I do silly damage. That's enough when enrage timers on some fights are still tight :P

Bring the player, not the class yo.

Deleted
    At the moment, my RL is very reluctant to do so. I'm quite happy to take over as MT when 5.2 hits, as our current is going away for 5 weeks, but he can't see beyond the fact my health pool is considerably lesser than most tanks. The only boss I've struggled to tank is Will of the Emperor, and even that was down to being caught in the disco cleaves. Shame that people can't wrap their head around how BrM tanking works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    Bring the player, not the class yo.
    As much as people like to cite this, as someone that's had to make plenty of decisions about recruiting and raid rosters in the past, sometimes two people seem very close but you can only bring one. In that situation, you bring that one whose class/spec is better on paper. Until there's a decent metric for player skill besides looking at who screws up the most, class balance will remain relevant.

At the moment, my RL is very reluctant to do so. I'm quite happy to take over as MT when 5.2 hits, as our current is going away for 5 weeks, but he can't see beyond the fact my health pool is considerably lesser than most tanks. The only boss I've struggled to tank is Will of the Emperor, and even that was down to being caught in the disco cleaves. Shame that people can't wrap their head around how BrM tanking works.
    Start reading him off your Guard values, then tell him it has a 30 second cooldown

Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    Start reading him off your Guard values, then tell him it has a 30 second cooldown
    I'd say possible find a new RL.

If he's still stuck in the wrath days of how health is everything then he needs to wrap his head around what really matters and thats migitation. If the tank has the same amt of health as a dps does but has 10x more migitation however that may be, I'd rather be that tank than one who has 2x that health but 10x less migitation.

That possible migitation is damage I don't take. If the healers aren't fast enough for the few hits that I do take,then yeah sure, the other tank will look better, but is that your fault? No...

15+ Year Old Account
    I have people constantly trying to headhunt me for their guilds after I tank PuG raids.

Is it because of my class bringing particular "value" to the run? Shit no. It's because, modesty aside, I play very well with the tools available to me and give the healers a smooth run.

"Bring the player, not the class" is in fact extremely relevant, no matter what naysayers gabble about. Rather, it's relevant in everything except the top-end cutting-edge best-in-the-world tier, which comprises a very very small percentage of the playerbase. Everything and everyone underneath that - like 99% of players - are fine bringing skilled players to fill roles without total min-max'ing of classes.

Are you trying for world-first HC endboss kills, where you know everyone with you are the best players on the planet? Sure, you'll probably want to math up your raid comp to give yourself every edge. If you're not, it's far far more lenient on class balance, and variations are found pretty much purely in player skill.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    I disagree with that. I feel that brewmaster has the highest survivability of any tank. Not to mention they have by far the best AoE damage, and tank damage is actually important this expansion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujEgQ...ature=youtu.be
    Well, you must admit that this video is not the best argument in a discussion about tank balance in a raid environment. This fight is a bit... special.

Why would you pick up a monk tank?
    1. you beat the **** with your bare fists!
    2. you don't need that typical tank items like the other tanks, so no fights about that.
    3. t14 and t15 looks awesome. awesome looking chars in progress is mandatory! nobody wants an ugly troll!
    4. most of your spells are green. green is good.

the rest has already been said.
    13/13

Monk

The reason you bring a monk is because there are too many plate wearers in the raid. hate wasted loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Morion View Post
    Well, you must admit that this video is not the best argument in a discussion about tank balance in a raid environment. This fight is a bit... special.
    What would be the issue? It's not like this was pre vengeance nerfs, where abusing crazy high vengeance or low level stat caps like the 80 paladin's that did it were doing. This is a guy that went in and legit mitigated and self healed the damage for 8 mins with no heals, and explosions going wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

10+ Year Old Account
    It is very much so bring the player. If the monk is a good Brewmaster tank, then he/she'll be valued. That said, in 10 man HC content, it's very nice for progression to have both a dodge tank and a block tank. Versatility is helpful in progression.

So - guess it depends on what kind of culture or focus does your guild have?
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Vargarii View Post
    What would be the issue? It's not like this was pre vengeance nerfs, where abusing crazy high vengeance or low level stat caps like the 80 paladin's that did it were doing. This is a guy that went in and legit mitigated and self healed the damage for 8 mins with no heals, and explosions going wild.
    Outgearing it by far as well, 499 Ilvl for an encounter that is tuned around 466 Ilvl isn't weird to you? He was only able to keep himself up because he did dmg to all 3 all the time, which you won't be able to in a normal raid, since the other members would have died from the explosions. This is pretty much the same thing as when a DK go bk to old content and solo it with self heals, "AMG DK best tanks world because they got so much self heals and can keep themselves up". Im pretty sure a warrior tank with 2nd wind could survive that for quite a while as well tbh.
    Nowish <Envy> Washed up, classic hero - Feral + War dps/tank PoV-> http://sv.twitch.tv/viss3