Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

I miss dungeon Hubs

Dungeon hubs, like Hellfire, the place in Zangarmarsh, Tempest Keep, Auchindoun, Ulduar, etc.

I really liked those and think they should come back. They created a more interesting location than having each one spread out with one or two in each zone but spread way far away from each other (like how Mists and Cata was).

There's also something to be said for how Coldarra worked, at low levels you take out one part of the complex, then when you're higher you deal with bigger threats, and then at the end it culminates in a raid.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

I agree, it made more sense to me and seemed to tie things together much better. I guess when you only add 5 or so new 5 mans its not that important though :P

It works perfectly, when the story can make it work.

That being said, physical location of dungeons matters alot less now, due to the LFG system. Additionally, itemization of gear is alot better than in TBC, where you still had some weird-ass stated gear taking up loot slots, that isn't now cause everything is more normalized (it: Ret/Prot Paladins not needing Int/Spell Power, etc.).

Story-wise, they did good with Temple of the Jade Serpent, Stormstout Brewery, and to a lesser extent Shado-Pan Monastery. I would have liked to see more story bringing us to the other 5-mans (barring Scholomance/Scarlet Monastery, as those were just Heroics of old 5-mans, that have their stories with Lillian Voss).
    Not alot explaining why we are going to Mogu'Shan Palace, Gate of the Setting Sun, or Siege of Niuzao Temple.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

15+ Year Old Account
    ^Take Mogu'shan for example. MSP could have very easily been connected to MSV with no real change in the story, but it would have connected them in a greater way

Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Not alot explaining why we are going to Mogu'Shan Palace, Gate of the Setting Sun, or Siege of Niuzao Temple.
    I don't think all dungeons need to have a critical plot point, sometimes there is just a place of interest that your enemy has a foothold in.

On-Topic: Due to the Looking for Dungeon / Raid System I don't really think they're needed anymore. I'd much rather they gave more benefits to people who form guild groups and travel to the dungeon, then to those that sign up within the LFG/R System.

Deleted
    lol, people hated that in TBC, and now suddenly it cause some nostalgia,

It's true that with LFR and LFG hubs no longer play a vital role any more.

I think they should have expanded on what they tried to do in Cata.

Before you had to physically go to the dungeon, gather a group and then enter. In Cata, they made so you had to visit it once.

In MoP, they removed that requirement as well.

I would propose a new change -

Bring back attunement... to some measure.

First of all, with the exception of the 90 dungeons (SNT, GSS) none of the other dungeons made sense. Why? Because I ran them all before I even got to their corresponding zone. After grinding every quest in Jade Forest I was almost 88. I had already done Shado-Pan Monastery and Mogu'shan Palace without even stepping out of the first zone.

What they should have done was this -->

During the zone-wide questline, there is a mid point where you unlock the corresponding dungeon FOR LFG. What this means is that you cannot queue for a dungeon until you have completed some of the story that introduces it.

You can, however make a group of your own and enter the dungeon whenever you feel like it - sort of like the ilvl requirement for LFR. The fact is that this way, you bring back the story element to the dungeons instead of making them stand alone additions to over arching stories.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Dungeon hubs, like Hellfire, the place in Zangarmarsh, Tempest Keep, Auchindoun, Ulduar, etc.

I really liked those and think they should come back. They created a more interesting location than having each one spread out with one or two in each zone but spread way far away from each other (like how Mists and Cata was).

There's also something to be said for how Coldarra worked, at low levels you take out one part of the complex, then when you're higher you deal with bigger threats, and then at the end it culminates in a raid.
    They were very cool, but in the age of queue/LFD and super easy heroics that are completed in few days not to be revisited ever again, does it really matter we don't have great dungeon hubs as in the past?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post

WTF? How did they hate it? Seriously whats wrong with you people...

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss them as well. Now it feels like a dungeon over here a dungeon over there. lol

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 04:05 PM ----------

I never hated BC and most of my friends that I played with didn't hate it either.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

yep, agree with Totle....they totally messed up the quest storylines with dungeons stories....they shouldn't connect dungeons with level of your char when you are leveling your first char. for the alts, who cares, you seen the whole story by then anyway.

example....Taran Zhu, i was killing him in Shado Pan Monestery and in same time he was still giving me quests in Shado-pan storyline. Makes no sense...

i miss old wow in general...

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    I miss them as well. Now it feels like a dungeon over here a dungeon over there. lol

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 04:05 PM ----------

I never hated BC and most of my friends that I played with didn't hate it either.
    Oh yeah? Well I hated BC and a bunch of my friends did too. Shitty class design, itemization of gear still poor, rated PvP as bad if not worse than it is now.

Also, Vanilla was pretty much the hallmark of "a dungeon over here, a dungeon over there."

If LFD ruins your immersion or whatever, just don't queue until you've arrived at whatever point in the story you feel like it would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I don't think all dungeons need to have a critical plot point, sometimes there is just a place of interest that your enemy has a foothold in.

On-Topic: Due to the Looking for Dungeon / Raid System I don't really think they're needed anymore. I'd much rather they gave more benefits to people who form guild groups and travel to the dungeon, then to those that sign up within the LFG/R System.
    I disagree, all places of interest should have an in dept story behind them, even if you don't start to learn about that story until venturing inside such places.

I do agree with the Lfr thing though simply because I don't like RP events consistently showing up on content I will be farming.
    Then again having scrolls or other such things laying around that allow you to peace together the story behind the place (they could even activate cutscenes) and be viewed at any time even when not within the raid.

Either way I think the Op was talking about having instances tie in to the local atmosphere better by using the story to connect them with their surroundings and to make their locations on the world map be places where people congregate.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I heard a single person complain about how dungeons were clustered in BC.

Complaints about dungeons? complaints about getting to dungeons? Sure. But not that they were clustered

There is no point to dungeon complexes now with LFD/LFR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    There is no point to dungeon complexes now with LFD/LFR
    There is if you want to extend the experience of a specific dungeon theme across more than 4 bosses worth of hallways.

I liked the cluster of dungeons, and how your progression through it felt like gradual build-ups towards the raids that were frequently included. Wouldn't mind seeing some massive dungeon areas that are broken up into smaller bits.

Deleted
    I want hellfire/auchindaun style dungeons where you get extra tokens if you take buildings x,y,z,..

but those who don't like pvp are in their way, sadly.

We had that in Wrath as well. Look at Ulduar besides HoL/HoS. Utgarde Keep/Pinnacle. Ahn'kahet/Azjol'Nerub. Malygos/Nexus/Oculus.

In Cata the new zones and dungeons were spread far apart with many things going on at different places, but we still had a few. VP/TotFW. They added more to Blackrock Mountain with BWD/BRC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Also, Vanilla was pretty much the hallmark of "a dungeon over here, a dungeon over there."
    Yes because Blackrock mountain didn't have LBRS, UBRS, BRD, MC, BWL all in the same hub... clueless.