Question Melee holding me back?

I haven't done serious raiding since ds and im looking to start in 5.2. My question is will me being a dk dps hold me back on trying to find a good raiding guild/core spot? Or should i go with my hunter? I love both play styles so its not play what you like. Just want a class that i wont have a problems getting into raid groups.So from the raiders reading this what would you advise me playing to get back into raiding. thx

Well our top dps in our guild is a hunter so idk. Our dk owns aswel though

Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen so much open arms to melee dps as I have in Mop to be honest.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 06:20 PM ----------

Honestly, just pick the class you're best at and are more confident to play.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

It could be. Most groups won't take more than 1 melee for 10 man, and that may hold you back. IF that were the case, choosing to raid with your hunter may be a better choice.

However, I would assume that once any raid group is willing to give you a chance, and you give them a good show of what you are capable of with either character, they wouldn't mind which you chose as your main .Unless its a specific comp they're looking for.

So start with your hunter it will be more easier to get into 10man raid groups.

inb4 "DS was a joke anyway"

DPS DK is in pretty good spot now, frost is ahead UH atm, but UH will get buffed in 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    inb4 "DS was a joke anyway"

DPS DK is in pretty good spot now, frost is ahead UH atm, but UH will get buffed in 5.2
    It's not really buffed it's a lot of QOL fixes that result in damage going up slightly.

Exactly. The Unholy changes are FAR from being an actual "buff", to be sure. They're giving the Gargoyle slightly more damage, and making it what it shoulda been in the first place...FREE TO CAST, gdi. What they really need to do is make the Ghoul pet attack whatever it is that the player is currently attacking (unless specifically told otherwise by the DK)...and that would truly solve any pet efficiency issues and make Unholy as good as Frost again.

melee shouldnt hold you back at all. we would actually LOVE a frost DK, as their burst AoE is pretty awsome right now. I've never found melee to slow me down too much anyway.

MoP has been far more melee friendly than previous tiers because bosses are actually detecting specs. This means on a fight like Blade Lord, you can't just have ranged dps sit on the boss to avoid the ranged dps mechanic while also where applicable giving you the benefit of them being ranged. Also since you can't do that, something like Blade Lord can actually become a huge pita for your ranged dps if you stacked them too hard (at least in 25, in 10 you probably have plenty of room no matter what).

Well it doesn't hold you back exactly, but yes melee slots are the hardest to get because everyone wants to play melee but there's only 2/10 melee slots in your average 10m raid group.

If you want to maximise your chances of getting into raid groups I'd advise playing a healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

the fact that you are a melee will in and of itself not bar you from findind a decent guild. however very few raid encounters are freindly to TOO MANY melee being in the group. you will be competing for a limited number of raid slots if the person or people organizing the group know anything about what they are doing.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Play what you want. If you play it well, you'll find a new raiding guild.

That being said, yes, it's probably easier to find a guild as a hunter than a DK but don't let that dicourage you. For one reason, a lot of mechanics simply favor ranged as they can attack shit melee sometimes cannot, and secondly, ranged classes often deliver more utility than melee do, which is crucial in a 10 man, where having classes like locks, hunters and mages often make things easier.

Like Pbitt stated, play what you have fun playing and don't base your decision around what you think guilds want. In all honesty, it seems like many top 25m guilds are recruiting all types of DPS in order to prep for 5.2 so as long as you play your class well you should not have any problems finding a decent raiding guild.

Deleted
    As pointed before, in 10man (and 25man as far as I know) you only take a limited amount of melee, that is 1 or 2 on most fight in 10man, so it might be easier to find a regular spot as a ranged.

Ranged are still better than melee usually, but melee isn't an absolute detriment like it was in Cata thank god.

Consider: In nearly all situations it's as good or superior to take ranged, so there is very little want of a melee outside of your unique situational abilities.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Since bosses can detect class and spec it's not that bad anymore.

For instance, Empress won't Cry of Terror melees or hunters. That would have been a terrible nuisance back then if melee had to leave melee range due to mechanics.

Do you play blood as an off-spec? Imo a melee dps that is capable of playing tank/heal/ranged as an offspec should be. A plate dps w/o a viable off-spec is a laughable waste of a raid slot imo (thinking 10 man).
    Last edited by -ex-; 2013-02-18 at 03:16 PM.

Deleted
    Is it perhaps that more people have experienced raid encounters as ranged deeps, hence thinking that environment is harsher for melee? It seems comments about melee being unfavored usually comes from ranged, while long time melee players are totally cool with it.

On topic - play whatever makes you have most fun! If you're good at it, you should not have an issue finding a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by crittycat View Post
    Is it perhaps that more people have experienced raid encounters as ranged deeps, hence thinking that environment is harsher for melee? It seems comments about melee being unfavored usually comes from ranged, while long time melee players are totally cool with it.

On topic - play whatever makes you have most fun! If you're good at it, you should not have an issue finding a spot.
    Although I maintain one of each class at max level I primarily play a tank and lead my raid. So, no, any coments that I make conserning melee needing to be limited in most boss encounters is due to observing mechanics for six years.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP