Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Be careful you don't cut yourself on those edges OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Honestly, I think the biggest reason that divorce-rates are so high is because people have really become complacent. People don't believe in hard work anyways, and being a hard-worker isn't viewed as a positive, admirable quality anymore. People just want to go through the motions and have everything be awesome, all the time. They view abandonment as a valid option in marriage, rather than treating one another as actual family. As well, too many people get married WAY too young, before they have any idea what "love" really is. I can't say much, because I wasn't any wiser when I was younger, I simply learned it over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Honestly, I think the biggest reason that divorce-rates are so high is because people have really become complacent. People don't believe in hard work anyways, and being a hard-worker isn't viewed as a positive, admirable quality anymore. People just want to go through the motions and have everything be awesome, all the time. They view abandonment as a valid option in marriage, rather than treating one another as actual family. As well, too many people get married WAY too young, before they have any idea what "love" really is. I can't say much, because I wasn't any wiser when I was younger, I simply learned it over time.
    I think that the reasons for high divorce rates is more economic equality for women. There in no longer a social stigma associated with divorce.

Studies have shown that people grow tired of one another at certain intervals. There is the so called 7 year itch. There are also more options. You can move find another job, transplant and remake yourself one hell of a lot easier than 100 years ago.

Hard work, that's not the answer or its the answer to everything.

Simply stated. Its easier. Sometimes much easier to get divorced. Absent children being involved, its almost always a good idea. Shocker, people who get divorced also get re-married. I mean it happens. More times than you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Actually a female biologist wrote a book a few years ago arguing that MEN benefit more from monogamy than women, because you as a woman want the most biologically fit father for your children, as well as help provide for your offspring. I can't remember the name of the book, but it was very convincing.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/05/sc...t&emc=rss&_r=0

Modern humans survived, because of the division of labor. Men are disadvantaged when it comes to reproduction so they used their excess time and energy to provide for their female. This agreement to share the responsibility for their mutual offspring is the begging of the concept of marriage. Knowing that the person next to you will be there till the end and won't just leave in the first sing of problems. Many people like security.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-19 at 09:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/05/sc...t&emc=rss&_r=0

Modern humans survived, because of the division of labor. Men are disadvantaged when it comes to reproduction so they used their excess time and energy to provide for their female. This agreement to share the responsibility for their mutual offspring is the begging of the concept of marriage. Knowing that the person next to you will be there till the end and won't just leave in the first sing of problems. Many people like security.
    Disadvantaged is a contentious term, given that men can propagate their genetics with far greater ease and with far less personal risk than women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    I'll never get married. There's no benefits to it, and you can have an as deep relation to someone without being married. There's just no point.

I'd also not want to give up half my stuff that I've earned if a divorse happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Disadvantaged is a contentious term, given that men can propagate their genetics with far greater ease and with far less personal risk than women.
    The uterus is far more valuable than the penis. This is why we have "women and children first" while the males have to sacrifice themselves 10 out of 10 times. The female decides if she wants to mate or not. Lets for the sake of the argument imagine that male manages to get a female pregnant.

What are the odds of such child surviving winter when his mother is pregnant and unable to find food? What are its chances of survival when she leaves it to look for food? What are it's chances of survival if his mother gets 3 cracked ribs and a broken pelvis while hunting a big animal with her tribe?

It's in the interest of both parties to have a clear cut agreement for provision.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-19 at 09:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The uterus is far more valuable than the penis. This is why we have "women and children first" while the males have to sacrifice themselves 10 out of 10 times. The female decides if she wants to mate or not. Lets for the sake of the argument imagine that male manages to get a female pregnant.

What are the odds of such child surviving winter when his mother is pregnant and unable to find food? What are its chances of survival when she leaves it to look for food? What are it's chances of survival if his mother gets 3 cracked ribs and a broken pelvis while hunting a big animal with her tribe?

It's in the interest of both parties to have a clear cut agreement for provision.
    Valuable to the reproductive process itself, yes, but in terms of the intent behind reproduction it is actually less advantageous because producing offspring requires the uterus to be occupied for nine months at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Valuable to the reproductive process itself, yes, but in terms of the intent behind reproduction it is actually less advantageous because producing offspring requires the uterus to be occupied for nine months at a time.
    It became an advantage when the other gender decided that his best chance of spreading his genes is by wooing and providing for females. Of course it's not an advantage in leopards and cheetahs, but we aren't talking about them, are we? Throughout history only about 50% of adult human males have managed to leave kids while the number of females is close to 100%, how is that not an advantage?
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-19 at 09:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife is awesome. She was good enough reason to do almost anything.

/manly mode
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

um.....taxes. Its the perfect reason to get married.

brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say my family is full of happy marriages. They also didn't get married after 2 months of dating each other like most idiots these days. I find marriage to be just one of those things, where you either want to or you don't. For me, it's a romantic idea of marrying someone and settling down, having children. If someone has your children and you love them why not?

You though, seem like there is no reason to. You have '5 women on the side' and sex seems to be what you think marriage is about, which it's not. Silly you. Also, you may think all women want to be housewives, but no not all of us do. I do not strive to stay at home all day and sit on my ass. I'm not paying to go to college just to do so. It also depends where you stand with your own kids though, do you want a nanny or your lady to take care of them until they are old enough to take care of themselves around their house.

*shrug*
    I've been with the same man for three years and we still have not gotten engaged. I'm happy we waited, because we have gone through some of the toughest struggles as a couple. I could only imagine how much worse it would've been if we were married. You may think your 'safe' married, but in all honesty, who wants to get married just so their person can't leave them? It says a lot about a guy who stuck around through everything WITHOUT being married. Yes, I desire it one day and I desire his children. We are traditional and our families are happily married. It's not as rare as everyone thinks.

And couples can't be together without being married? Guess its a european thing maybe...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!

1. I get sex on a regular basis.
    You might get sex on a regular basis but there is more to the world than sex. How many of those 6 girls you say you have would help you out if you were in the hospital for a week or got hurt and couldn't drive for 6 weeks? Would any of those 6 girls help you pay bills if you lost your job or be there to support you when something bad in life happens? Doubtful.

On the other hand since I am married I get sex and someone who also cares about me and our life together.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    You might get sex on a regular basis but there is more to the world than sex. How many of those 6 girls you say you have would help you out if you were in the hospital for a week or got hurt and couldn't drive for 6 weeks? Would any of those 6 girls help you pay bills if you lost your job or be there to support you when something bad in life happens? Doubtful.

On the other hand since I am married I get sex and someone who also cares about me and our life together.
    Any how does being married do that as a guarantee? His wife could leave him at any chance he gets sick or he is in debt just the same as a girlfriend or female friend with benefits. To be fair, people marry in the vast majority of civilized country so they split the expenses and can get some benefits more then they marry for true love.

And I do find the ultimate test to be a non-married couple that act better then the average married couple and astill remain the same, not bound by any "law stated formality" such as marriage.

Here in my EU country they even marry just to do the wedding since weddings it's a huge money/good income source. Add to that the "first house" program for newlyweds or good credit loans and down the line 3-5 years later the married couple experience the real tests (as in money struggle, someone cheats, someone gets bored, one can't have children, etc..) and either contiue to stay married to have some benefits or split.
    Last edited by mmoc0127ab56ff; 2013-02-19 at 04:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that a lot of people are starting to see that there is no right way to live. You do not have to have a family in order to be happy and successful.

Personally, I would love to get married eventually. I am 30 now and really do not feel a rush. That will change towards 40 surely. I simply do not want the added burden of responsibility. A family forces you to do things that you would not do otherwise to support them. I watched my father ruin his health and well being providing for my family, because he had to. When you start a family early you really do not get to control your life.

I have gone towards a drastic opposite view on marriage where I will not do it until I am financially stable and have enough free time to raise my kids. I also do not see the point in getting married unless you are going to make a family. That may change should I meet the right person, though.

Some people can't live without a partner. That is why we see these divorce rates like they are. People can't live alone and rush into relationships and marriages.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I also do not see the point in getting married unless you are going to make a family.
    This statement is one of my biggest pet peeves as someone who is married and child free. I hate when people say that someone is not a family until they have children. My husband and I are a family. We have blended our lives and finances into one and make decisions on what we are going to do together, that is a family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    This statement is one of my biggest pet peeves as someone who is married and child free. I hate when people say that someone is not a family until they have children. My husband and I are a family. We have blended our lives and finances into one and make decisions on what we are going to do together, that is a family.
    Family is an extremely loose term. I consider my close friends "family" too. I view a married couple as more of a partnership or union (two become one), but call yourself whatever because it is all just semantics. I definitely do not think that you need to have kids in order to have a family. Anyone can have a family, even if they have no other direct blood or spouse.
    I like sandwiches

Your #3 is so funny how it will change the second you have a kid
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18