Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Fixed your statement for you. Marriage is a declaration of love, if you don't want to tell the other person you're going to love them forever that is fine.
    So, when you say "fixed", what you really mean is just flatly making shit up. Got it!

Fixed your statement for you. Marriage is a declaration of love, if you don't want to tell the other person you're going to love them forever that is fine.
    False, marriage is an religious institution that has been deeply mixed into our society and culture.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Maybe in backwater countries where religious institutions are still allowed to meddle in legal matters.
    Can you provide an example of a country where marriage isn't a legal entity?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    It's a shame that there are all these people who don't believe in marriage. I think the real reason is that they are so shitty no one wants to be with them but they use meh its just a term as a cover.
    i believe in the concept, but i dont find it unreasonable to not take that measure. Honestly you have to look at it as a contract, some people feel their emotions dont need an on paper contract to demonstrate their connection or feelings for another. Unfortunately many people avoid marriage to avoid long term obligation that they might have sat down and talked with somebody long ago. People who get married can't even maintain the social contract sometimes.

People dont avoid marriage because they cant for whatever reason find someone that can put up with them every day, it's just they dont need the piece of paper to prove they are who they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

False, marriage is an religious institution that has been deeply mixed into our society and culture.
    Matrimony is a religious institution, Marriage is a social, and sometimes legal institution. Words have meaning use them correctly.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Maybe in backwater countries where religious institutions are still allowed to meddle in legal matters.
    Really please google, Tennessee Code Annotated 36-3-101 et seq. Specifically covers marriage in the backwater country of . . . Nevermind Tennessee is a backwater state of the United States, you sir win the argument.

Matrimony is a religious institution, Marriage is a social, and sometimes legal institution. Words have meaning use them correctly.
    Those words are synonymous here, and the other is simply a spawn of the former so the institution could've been suited better for modern ages, even though the whole thing should've been abolished from existance.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Marriage isn't for everyone. Granted, it is a commitment that shows your devotion to stick with a person through thick or thin, however, not everyone is compatible like that.

Theres nothing wrong with not being married, but there isn't anything wrong with being married either. Stop trying to force your ridiculous opinions on everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Those words are synonymous here, and the other is simply a spawn of the former so the institution could've been suited better for modern ages, even though the whole thing should've been abolished from existance.
    No they aren't marriage has been around long before religions. Marriage does not go hand in hand with religion.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    I feel like this thread's title is wrong.

"I personally can't think of a good reason to get married" Would be more appropriate.

There's people that see a good reason to marry, and who are you to tell them there are none? If you don't want to, that's fine. But if there are people that feel there's a reason, be it love, lower taxes or w/e. YOU decide whether or not you think you have a good reason. And if you do, go for it.

No they aren't marriage has been around long before religions. Marriage does not go hand in hand with religion.
    No. What you mean to say that pairing existed before the concept of marriage. Birds pair too, yet they don't need to promote it through marriage.

No. What you mean to say that pairing existed before the concept of marriage.
    I guess their is no real arguing with you because you think that the bible invented marriage. I'm sorry but that is not the case.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I guess their is no real arguing with you because you think that the bible invented marriage. I'm sorry but that is not the case.
    I never in any of my posts mentioned Bible. Only religion.

Besides, with the output you've done in many of the valentine day threads I doubt you're the first person to go for replies that spawn out of experience.

Like the backwater country that tells me that they know better when it comes to my own healthcare? Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    If you were to actually read everything I said you would see that they are not mutually exclusive. BUT and this is a big BUT the names of the things are very very important sometimes. If you are willing to make the assertion that Marriage is a religous sacrament, then by extension you must also accept that the legal nature of a secular marriage is not the same. If it's not the same then by extension it does not enjoy the same benefits. You open all kinds of doors for all kinds of debates about names of things, their legal nature etc.

Marriage being a non religious social contract is actually not an absurd assertion. If you are willing to consult ANY legal dictionary you will notice that Marriage by very definition is a civil contract.

As I said before. I'm alright with having religions trough their sacraments give their blessing (endorsement) to the legal contract of Marriage. But MARRIAGE IS NOT A RELIGIOUS SACRAMENT!
    I haven't read the last 5 pages, but I just wanted to point out that it IS, in fact, a religious sacrament - at least, in the Catholic Church. It's one of seven that most Catholics go through in their life (others being Baptism, Reconciliation, Communion, Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick, and Ordination - should you choose that path instead of marriage).

As for OP, reading through about 15 pages or so, I find it really amusing how bent out of shape everyone seems to get regarding others who want to/don't want to get married. If you're with someone who wants to get married and you do, too, then huzzah go for it. If you do, but they don't then you just have to consider if you really want to get married THAT much and, if you do, then perhaps that partner of yours isn't the right one for you. And if no one ever got married, who would bang the bridesmaids or friends of the brides at receptions! I'm at an age where my friends have slowly, but surely been getting engaged (one friend married two years ago) and I love going to weddings. It's a good time to hang with people in a nice suit, have a few drinks, and celebrate the hopefully good times ahead. I don't see myself getting married any time soon, however.

Myself, I can see myself getting married if only to have a sweet-ass reception with my buds and my family and just have rockin' good time. Obviously, though, I'm not just marrying willy-nilly for the reception. Also maybe to shut my mother up and make her feel good haha....but we won't tell her that .

We can talk about evolution and whatnot and how it means women benefit more from monogamy than men, but I'm sure you already know that.

A lot of women are insecure (see above) about not being married. They think you are unwilling to commit and therefore will run out on them at any time. Which sounds like a possibility with you, since she is only one of 6.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you're doing. Sex is great, but at some point when you're older and don't want sex anymore (usually happens to older men/women) you might find yourself wishing you had someone. Not that that's any reason either.

Just dump her if she's pushing for something you don't want. Not sure how you keep up 6 girls anyway. Maybe downsizing is a good idea . Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    I haven't read the last 5 pages, but I just wanted to point out that it IS, in fact, a religious sacrament - at least, in the Catholic Church. It's one of seven that most Catholics go through in their life (others being Baptism, Reconciliation, Communion, Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick, and Ordination - should you choose that path instead of marriage).
    Ordination OR marriage? What if you choose to be single and not become a priest/nun? Paul wrote that he felt called to be a single man and wrote about it in his New Testament works, for example.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    We can talk about evolution and whatnot and how it means women benefit more from monogamy than men, but I'm sure you already know that.
    Actually a female biologist wrote a book a few years ago arguing that MEN benefit more from monogamy than women, because you as a woman want the most biologically fit father for your children, as well as help provide for your offspring. I can't remember the name of the book, but it was very convincing.

At minimum I would argue that monogamy should "benefit" men and women equally. In today's society, and in a marriage relationship, it benefits men more than it does women now that women are expected to work outside of the home yet are still primary caregivers of offspring as well as do a majority of the housework ("second shift"); also studies have shown that it is MEN rather than women who are happier once married; women's happiness stays the same or actually declines (although both genders experience a decrease in happiness once children are born, which improves once they leave the house--seriously).

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post

the reason I bring is up is because, I've been talking to this girl for a while (I also have 5 women on the side) and she's trying to judge me saying. every man should get married at some point in his life. this I feel is very judgmental and wrong, what do you all think? also she's bringing up the baby conversations, ridiculous.
    Is he serious? 5 women on the side?

5 women on the side?? we believe every word you say buddy

You're right, there is no point in getting married just to be married. Works the same way for enormous amount of things in life. Other then that - it's a commitment to the person you want to be together with, and you are clearly not ready for it. And the reasons are different for everyone.

One thing that is good about it is the fact that you are not that much pressured to create a family by the society just for the status benefits. People are getting more open-minded in general and of course it affects the status of marriage.