Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Think two times before preordering.

So ye i'm getting sick of HORRIBLE games being over hyped, mass preordered whatnot and people still keep doing it. I have always had this thing of waiting myself for decent reviews and then buying the game if its actually good. I don't think people really think about how much they are actually hurting the game industry by mass preordering.

Anyways, here is a video from TB that sums it all up pretty well.

Cba watch the hole movie. I'm sure he makes a good point

Currently last 2 years the PC gaming industry has popped up alot of crap. Its time that consumers think with there wallet, especially after seing games like SWTOR, Diablo3 and other AA-titles flooping badly. I will pledge myself not to pre-order games anymore atleast, not without having looked into what I'm actually getting.

(also its funny how most games that have in general sucked lately are all FPS games, but hey maybe thats just me being the useal FPS games hater...)
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    I never pre-order games unless it's a game i know i will enjoy, the only game pre-ordered atm for me is Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I played the demo thanks too Zone of The Enders HD collection.

Deleted
    Agree with TB for once. ive only preordered very few games, ive never liked the idea of day one DLCs or pre-order bonus. for the last few years ive always waited for games to release and watch videos on it before buying after being dissapointed a few times. ive decided im not going to waste £30-40 on a game ive not seen reviews for. games like skyrim i bought on the first day, didnt pre order though. i was a fan on the series and i wasn't dissapointed by skyrim at least.

I've personally never been disappointed in a pre-ordered game.
    But I suppose I'm fairly conservative, only pre-ordering games I am pretty sure I will enjoy the moment I first find information about them.
    I try to ignore hype (because to be honest, you can find hype about anything, just as you can find hate about anything, it means nothing).

Generally I've only pre-ordered Zelda games, and blizzard games, and I have never been let down even the slightest.
    There's a lot of garbage out there, be critical about your choices and don't let others talk you into their own hype for a game.
    Do reseach yourself, or just follow your gut-feeling. Should reduce the amount of failed expectations.

I don't really think this has so much to do with the industry changing or any such thing.
    There's probably just a larger audience for gaming, meaning more games come out.
    Inevitably that will mean more people to see more crappy games (and the other way around too).

Take everything with a grain of salt and you will have no need for final mantras like "I will nevah pre-order games evah again".

Deleted
    After the massive letdown that was mass effect 3 ive learned to be warey of the overhype and false developer promises. Will be waiting to see what happens from now on

I disagree with TB. He makes it seem as if you should wait an listen to his or any other reviewers opinion before you buy the game. He comes off really bad in this video. I dont think he ment to come off that way but he did. I do agree that ppl shouldnt pre-order a game years before its release. I also dont think there is really a need to pre-order games these days months before release. Some of these games are digital now so unless your buying a collectors edition i dont see the reason to buy it months ahead of time. TB is right in that the bonus stuff really isnt that good but then again your not really paying more for a pre-order so who cares.

I also think that if you are interested in a game pre release you should decide for yourself wether you want to play it or not come release, not wait for the opinion of TB or any other news site out there to tell you a game does not live up to expectations. You may not find faults where they do or you may just not care and want to play anyway. If you buy the game and dont like it well we have all bought games we dont like, its just how things go. Either return it if you can or just place it in the same area you put all your other unwanted games.

The industry has definitely changed. I've watched TB's video before and I agree with him, and I had to slap myself for actually encouraging these businesses practices.

Recently, I pre-ordered Tomb Raider because I really liked the new Lara Croft, I felt that I could really relate and she felt like a real person. But, it was a special on GMG so I ended up paying something like $33 for it, so I think I made a good call.

But I also pre-ordered The WarZ...

There are many games I've bought/pre-ordered that I absolutely regret buying (The WarZ), and I feel disgusted that I supported these companies. All I can do is learn form my mistakes and try to make better & more informed decisions in the future, and to not let myself be fooled by pre-order incentives.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This has got to be the most inane and pointless complaining from TB I've ever heard. And I think he's had good points on other things, but this is just stupid.
    If you don't trust pre-ordering things, don't freaking pre-order.

I do think twice about pre-ordering, because I'm not a brainless consumerist that gobbles down everything shoved in my face.

If people fall for a hype it's not the fault of the game maker that they bought a game they don't like in the end. This has to be the worst whining I've seen.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-02-18 at 12:46 PM.

I've only preordered a few games, all of them were good when I got them and met my expectations (black ops 1 is a bit iffy there). But only recently did I preorder a game that was just absolute garbage... Aliens: Colonial Marines. It is because of that pathetic excuse for a game that I will never preorder again as long as I shall live.

10+ Year Old Account
    did you really care until you saw tb posted this?

Just having basic common sense would be enough, but as mass markets have proven, it's not applicable mental function.

I personally learnt it hard way as a young naive teen who had high hopes for Oblivion.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I disagree with TB. He makes it seem as if you should wait an listen to his or any other reviewers opinion before you buy the game. He comes off really bad in this video.
    How is that a bad thing? They've actually played the game, you have not. And as always with reviews, you have to ignore all the opinions and focus on the facts presented; for example if it's a bad PC port (sadly most games are today) and what kind of content the game has.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I only preorder games from developers with a good background, and games from franchises I enjoy. For an example, if a game is announced for a franchise that I'm a big fan of, I will preorder it. Even on the off chance of it sucking, atleast then I will have witnessed its downfall. Does this hurt the industry? No, I don't think so.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I disagree with TB. He makes it seem as if you should wait an listen to his or any other reviewers opinion before you buy the game. He comes off really bad in this video. I dont think he ment to come off that way but he did. I do agree that ppl shouldnt pre-order a game years before its release. I also dont think there is really a need to pre-order games these days months before release. Some of these games are digital now so unless your buying a collectors edition i dont see the reason to buy it months ahead of time. TB is right in that the bonus stuff really isnt that good but then again your not really paying more for a pre-order so who cares.

I also think that if you are interested in a game pre release you should decide for yourself wether you want to play it or not come release, not wait for the opinion of TB or any other news site out there to tell you a game does not live up to expectations. You may not find faults where they do or you may just not care and want to play anyway. If you buy the game and dont like it well we have all bought games we dont like, its just how things go. Either return it if you can or just place it in the same area you put all your other unwanted games.
    No the really bad thing about this video is that he's whining about games not living up to a hype. It's hardly game makers fault if people are so gullible that they pre-order a game purely on hype.

And when it comes to Gearbox, you can have a look at Duke Nukem Forever and think to yourself, "Do I really trust these guys?".

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    This has to be the worst whining I've seen.
    Oh boy, your experience with the Internet has only started in that case.

Basically, it's just a video made for sheep that can't think for themselves. They tend to listen to "big guys", so what TB does is try to slap some sense into them. Because people DO pre-order games on a whim, just because "it's that game I've been waiting for so long", so they pre-order no matter how bad it is.

I remember when I pre-ordered the SW:TOR Collector's Edition. Worst decision I ever did.

Deleted
    For the most part I agree with him, but he is mistaken regarding day 1 dlc.

When games are "released" it won't be available from the day the developers are finished. The game has to be printed/shipped to retailers before it can even be sold. During that time (up to a month or more) the developers can develop dlc instead of just sitting there waiting for the sale days. Many people think games release the instant they are done, but it's wrong.

I never pre-order. I place a reservation for Collectors Edition, if it's free (the fee for placing it). Unless it's a game I realy, REALY want.. I don't think I would be too bothered with placing another extra 5 euros. And as I can recall that never happend. Some orders (as when I buy it from a website) ask for immediate pay. Sure, but I then paid for the product and it will get delivered to me. (And some stores even give out the pre-order for free to people who just simply placed a reseveration, and have too many pre-order kits left)

Hey, what would be perfect for the industry is if we only ever bought good games and never bought bad games or if we only ever bought games that everyone approved of. You make it out like everyone who buys these "bad" games doesn't like them. I know this is a crazy new notion but people like different things. I guarantee that there are some people out there who genuinely think WarZ is a good game going against what the majority believe, it doesn't make them wrong just as it doesn't make us right and to claim that there is something mentally wrong with them is absurd. The reason these people go overboard on defensive is when people like TB tell them that they cannot possibly like the game because he (or other reviewers) didn't. I really enjoyed the new DmC even though it seems to be getting average review.. Am I wrong, having only convinced myself I like it because I bought it?

I only preorder games I know I will like, cause I'm on a limited budget I cant afford to spend much.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno