15+ Year Old Account

Professions for a paladin?

Hey guys,

Im leveling a paladin toon atm. As it is, I have on other characters:

JC and Mining on my rogue (maxed).

Skinning and LW on my Hunter (maxed).

BS and mining on my DK (Im not planning om maxing him from level 85 to 90 yet).

I chose BS and mining for my paladin, but find it a little boring. Also thinking that I would probably gear up faster in PvP than crafting the PvP set anyways, and BS does only give you 2 additional sockets AFAIR.

I could go enchanting, but its very money consuming.

I could also get inscription, but it also feels limited. Good shoulder enchants though.

Ive been thinking about Engineering. But do Paladins benefit alot from here? I could make all the cool minions and mounts, but thats also about it. And Engineering is a butt to level up.

The reason I keep going with mining for several chars is because I hate having one from farming, and one for crafting. While it makes one char strong, I hate not being able to gather with the char I play with while I wait for PvP pops etc.

What proffession would you suggest for a ret/holy paladin? He could make the scope that my hunter could use, but besides that?

Thanks.

For ret PvE engineering is above and beyond any other profession. PvP wise it's still pretty good, but shares partial CD with your on use trinket.

Deleted
    Engineering and Blacksmithing.

If you insist on using a gathering prof though, pick Herbalism

It doesn't matter much, since other than gathering, they all give roughly the same benefits.

JC, Leather, Blacksmith, Enchanting, Alchemy all give the same primary stat boost in some form or other. JC and BS being the only slightly better since you have a bit more freedom in which stat you get.
    Engineering and Tailoring are a little different as they give an on-use effect and a proc respectively, though these average out pretty close to the other crafting professions, slightly stronger or weaker depending on several variables.
    Mining, Herbalism and Skinning are the weakest, since they only give secondary stat bonuses rather than primary ones. Herbalism actually isn't bad for ret/holy since it gives you a small haste CD that can be used something like a burst trinket, so if you insist on a gathering profession, herbs are the way to go.
    Last edited by Kurzior; 2013-02-18 at 03:25 PM.

From a healer (not ret) point of view:

Blacksmithing gives 640 spirit (2 sockets), or 320 intellect. Since most people now are taking 2 spirit over 1 int, the 640 spirit is considered better for now. (Same goes with most classes which will take 2 of a secondary stat over 1 of a primary stat, this includes ret if I'm not mistaken).

Inscription, Enchanting, and Leatherworking all give a flat 320 intellect.

Jewelcrafting or Alchemy give 320 intellect or 320 spirit. This isn't the same as Blacksmithing. Since most people are taking 1 int over 1 spirit at higher gear levels (i.e. using int flasks and food), this is most likely the same as 320 intellect, but you do have the freedom to choose spirit at low gear levels.

Engineering gives 1920 intellect every minute (average: 320 intellect). You can use this as a mini-healer cooldown every minute (or try to time it with Light's Hammer for example). Not a terrible deal especially for predictable waves of damage.

Tailoring gives you 2000 intellect or 3000 spirit every minute at the cost of 180 intellect all the time. So your average is 320 intellect or 750 spirit - 180 intellect. However, the intellect proc isn't really as useful since unlike the engineering springs, the proc can't be controlled. So while this may be OK for damage, as a healer, you might find the proc doesn't come when the healing is needed.

Hence I would go with the spirit enchant. The value of this enchant depends on how much you value your spirit. If you value 1 intellect = 1.5 spirit, then Tailoring is worth about the same as the other professions. If you value 1 intellect = 2 spirit, then Tailoring is worth more than all professions except Blacksmithing. If you value 1 intellect = anything less than 1.5 spirit, Tailoring becomes the worse profession.

Suffice it to say, Tailoring gets worse the more geared we get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    BS does only give you 2 additional sockets AFAIR.
    Which is one of the best profession bonuses in the game atm, and if you are going ret/holy would probably be the best overall to get good benefits to both specs.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-02-16 at 01:04 AM.

I would go for something you don't have yet and you find interesting. The benefit you gain from having a certain profession instead of an other one is minimal in a PvE environment.

Pick something you'd enjoy doing, would consider useful or otherwise I wouldn't bother. The difference is seriously minimal tbh.

w
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I would go for something you don't have yet and you find interesting. The benefit you gain from having a certain profession instead of an other one is minimal in a PvE environment.

Pick something you'd enjoy doing, would consider useful or otherwise I wouldn't bother. The difference is seriously minimal tbh.
    The difference is minimal if you exclude BS, it is miles ahead of every other profession.
    Hi Sephurik

Try and grab proffs you don't have

For PvP, you'll probably want Engineering and BS/JC, simply because of the PvP power/resilience flexibility

In your shoes I'd probably grab Engi/BS and wait for the Ghost Iron changes to just power level BS

Engineering and Blacksmithing is very good for Retribution. Engineering is a ton of fun, too. Blacksmithing's extra slots are pretty great and offer tons of flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    w

The difference is minimal if you exclude BS, it is miles ahead of every other profession.
    In terms of DPS increase? I doubt it