Poll: Do you wish item databases were never online?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    I imagine it where people would still be trying to fish up ashbringer because the book in AV, or trying to kill LK for Frostmourne non-stop.
    That's what I call a waste of time, and I use databases precisely to avoid that. "Oh, turns out I spent hours pursuing an objective that was bugged/didn't actually exist ! Those sure were well spent hours !"

Knowing where such and such item drop allows for planning if you prefer an organised experience.

Different story for some things where I find part of the pleasure lies in the search. I'll never use things like NPCScan, for instance. It goes without saying, but YMMV.
    Last edited by Sealed; 2013-02-18 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Would you perfer there be no books? No way to look up where a piece of knowledge discovered by somebody else?
    I just ask because i would, i feel knowing and being able to type in question and see information about takes alot of the mystery out of the world. I imagine it where people would still be trying to find turtle that earth stands on, or trying to reach india from another side of ocean non-stop. It may just be me but maybe others feel the same way, do you think earth would benefit without knowledge?

No, thank you.
    Im talking about item databases and data mining, not really talking about all wow knowledge just that items arn't all scanned and known. There would still be strategy guides and videos im just saying you can't type in Mountain goat and see every item that is possible for him to drop and the % or you can't type in an item and see where it drops from.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    i used to be of the opinion that finding hints and tips on the internet was cheating, or using walkthrough guides was cheating.

but nowadays, nobody cares, theres video guides, written tutorials and in depth theorycrafting that map out exactly how to play a game to it's maximum potential. which if you dont follow, you get called a noob.

it's a wonder how anyone expects to actually get anywhere in life, if everytime you face a challenge, your first step to overcoming it, is to look up someone elses solution online.

if only this was limied to videogames, but unfortunately, it's not. the world is gonna get dumber and dumber as people realise there is no longer a need to learn, as you can find the answer to everything online.
    I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious, but... "Looking up the answer online" is learning. It's tapping into the experience and knowledge of others; that's what we use books and schools for. You're talking about learning by doing, also sometimes referred to as "reinventing the wheel".

10+ Year Old Account
    I very rarely look things up or read up on data mined items. I love the discovery and exploration (what little is left in the game.) That being said, I voted no. It's a pleasant fantasy to think we'd get by without them, but theyre part of the game now, even if I personally dont use them.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Allakhazam was semi-useful, but thott? Come on, that was like the blind leading the blind. Thott was little more than a bunch of idiots saying, "_____________ dropped for me tonight, I'm so awesome."
    You forgot the part were it was full of "This is a hunter item"

Deleted
    Allakhazam was semi-useful, but thott? Come on, that was like the blind leading the blind. Thott was little more than a bunch of idiots saying, "_____________ dropped for me tonight, I'm so awesome."
    Hunter weapon.

EDIT: crap Fawxey beat me to it by mere seconds

Would you perfer there be no WoW item Databases? No way to look up where an item drops and the drop rate?
    I just ask because i would, i feel knowing and being able to type in any item and see where it drops takes alot of the mystery out of the game. I imagine it where people would still be trying to fish up ashbringer because the book in AV, or trying to kill LK for Frostmourne non-stop. It may just be me but maybe others feel the same way, do you think wow would benefit without Databases online and data miners?
    While the mystery of what drops is always fun, it can be
    preserved simply by not looking at the database. Personally I like having an idea of what to expect and for testing purposes PTR players will see everything anyways. For transmog hunting its a must to know which bosses drop what as well.

Would you perfer there be no WoW item Databases? No way to look up where an item drops and the drop rate?
    I just ask because i would, i feel knowing and being able to type in any item and see where it drops takes alot of the mystery out of the game. I imagine it where people would still be trying to fish up ashbringer because the book in AV, or trying to kill LK for Frostmourne non-stop. It may just be me but maybe others feel the same way, do you think wow would benefit without Databases online and data miners?
    Wait, you want there to be no data bases so more people will wasting their time trying to farm a drop that doesn't exist? You have a twisted idea of improvement.

I do see how some mystery of not having the information would be really fun, like currently we don't know a thing about Ra-den in 5.2 and it's pretty cool! Was fun to have to use your own skills to figure stuff out, but guess sloth is one heck of a dangerous bastard who's gotten hold of most of us. I like having data bases though for various info, not just how to do this and that.

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    i used to be of the opinion that finding hints and tips on the internet was cheating, or using walkthrough guides was cheating.

but nowadays, nobody cares, theres video guides, written tutorials and in depth theorycrafting that map out exactly how to play a game to it's maximum potential. which if you dont follow, you get called a noob.

it's a wonder how anyone expects to actually get anywhere in life, if everytime you face a challenge, your first step to overcoming it, is to look up someone elses solution online.

if only this was limied to videogames, but unfortunately, it's not. the world is gonna get dumber and dumber as people realise there is no longer a need to learn, as you can find the answer to everything online.
    I don't think using the available resources in a video game is the same as being dependent on another person's direction in real life. Besides, if there are resources in real life that will give you the information you need to get ahead, you're stupid not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Wait, you want there to be no data bases so more people will wasting their time trying to farm a drop that doesn't exist? You have a twisted idea of improvement.
    Alternative universe not wanting to change now, also i gave examples that are bad when i could have easily done defeating kil'jaden about rumors of a legendary bow.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Alternative universe not wanting to change now, also i gave examples that are bad when i could have easily done defeating kil'jaden about rumors of a legendary bow.
    Even if it was a universe where people never had data bases, you want to be in a time where people are farming drops that don't exist.

I don't think Kiljaden would be defeated about rumors of a legendary bow. This isn't real life where all these locations actually have mystery, Blizzard releases Sunwell and people flock to it before rumors even happen. This is a video game, you can't expect much feeling of discovery when playing a video game, especially when every event is scripted, a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it was a universe where people never had data bases, you want to be in a time where people are farming drops that don't exist.

I don't think Kiljaden would be defeated about rumors of a legendary bow. This isn't real life where all these locations actually have mystery, Blizzard releases Sunwell and people flock to it before rumors even happen. This is a video game, you can't expect much feeling of discovery when playing a video game, especially when every event is scripted, a fact.
    Not to play devil's advocate here, but this is actually the exact reason people got into MMOs years ago while the rest of the gaming community was going "How do you beat that game? It looks stupid."

Wasn't it an extra layer of fun though?
    Want that extra layer? Don't use the information available.

What's fun for some isn't for others
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Not to play devil's advocate here, but this is actually the exact reason people got into MMOs years ago while the rest of the gaming community was going "How do you beat that game? It looks stupid."
    I can't really argue against a majority that may or may not exist. There are many reasons people decide to play a game, it's sort of unlikely that they all started because of one reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really argue against a majority that may or may not exist. There are many reasons people decide to play a game, it's sort of unlikely that they all started because of one reason.
    Oh, God no. Haha, especially WoW. I was just more or less being "that guy." Playing an MMO for anything but character creation and end game has become something of a myth these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Oh, God no. Haha, especially WoW. I was just more or less being "that guy." Playing an MMO for anything but character creation and end game has become something of a myth these days.
    Look at mmo champion and the wow site itself. Lore conversation is alive more than ever and I think Blizzard is to thank for that from the way they've found to tell the stories during this expansion. The lore community isn't dying out by any means, so it's okay to sit back and let people enjoy the game for different reasons.

Like all aspects of life, the continued expansion and over-proliferation of the internet has it's ups and it's downs. Not just for WoW!

It's like how when I was a kid, and I'd rent SNES games without knowing anything about them. It was neat. Now, if I want to try a game, I can know everything about it with a google search. Some of that mystique is gone, but it's still pretty helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Like all aspects of life, the continued expansion and over-proliferation of the internet has it's ups and it's downs. Not just for WoW!

It's like how when I was a kid, and I'd rent SNES games without knowing anything about them. It was neat. Now, if I want to try a game, I can know everything about it with a google search. Some of that mystique is gone, but it's still pretty helpful!
    Thats how i feel about it really, DAMN YOU INTERNET!
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether the comments were useful is debatable but the fact is that both were database sites that existed since WoW's inception. We've never played in a time where such websites didn't exist.

I don't know "what if." I don't think they're necessary, so I'm sure we'd be fine, but they offer lots of convenience and helpful information, so it's nice to have them. It seems pretty impossible for them not to exist; someone would always make it as long as it was physically possible.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |