Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Classes in Guild Wars

Im thinking about buying the game, but would like to get some info before i do. In wow i like to play paladin/Death knight. Is there classes in Guild Wars thats kinda like those? I like classes that can take a hit and can solo grp quests

Guardian would be your closest profession to those wow classes.

Deleted
    this game isn't wow. use google, you will find more than you need.

But i guess the classes would have some stuff that wow got? I been on youtube most of the night watching guild wars movies so i can learn more about the classes.
    Thats why i asked here since i like playing a melee class + that got some heavy armor that can solo stuff.

A good resource to use for more information is the info link on this forum and the wiki is a good place as well.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated-READ-ME!

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Will check it out

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 10:48 PM ----------

Its seems like an amazing game. But almost all the gamers that have played wow and tried it out have gone back to wow.. and im kinda bored with wow now

didn't know there were any sort of statistics about how much wow players had jumped to and back from gw2.
    and what's a gamer to begin with? someone who plays its main game 8hrs a day? 4? 12?

Quote Originally Posted by tinnvar View Post
    Will check it out

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 10:48 PM ----------

Its seems like an amazing game. But almost all the gamers that have played wow and tried it out have gone back to wow.. and im kinda bored with wow now
    Well it's a one time purchase, so it's not like GW2 will go anywhere.

Here's the best you'll get. Other than thieves, every profession is cooldown based.

Guardian: Generally more defensive and good at group support and utility. Closest thematic equivalent is a paladin.
    Warrior: Generally more offensive than a Guardian. Has less support and utility. Closest thematic equivalent is a warrior, but has a system somewhat similar to rage. Pretty overpowered in PvE.

Ranger: Has more on demand damage than a warrior, but less sustained. Popular builds are AoE condition (DoTs) traps, and pet builds. Similar to pre-cata Hunters.
    Thief: Has probably the highest burst damage, has an energy system, and has short (typically 3s) stealth abilities. Other than the lack of CC and combos, very similar to rogues.
    Engineer: Has a lot of utility, and probably the most options of any profession. Has a lot of interesting/unique gadgets, and can use turrets. Sort of similar to druids/shamans, but not at all similar in theme.

Necromancers: Very durable, has fears, minions, life-steal. They offer a lot of utility in PvP, especially through boon stripping and AoE conditions. Similar in theme to shadow priests or warlocks.
    Elementalist: Has four different 'attunements' (weapon sets). They offer a ton of group support, especially through combo fields. They have a lot of options, similar to an Engineer. And like the engineer, they generally require more skill to play due to more buttons to press. Considered fairly OP in PvP. Other than the wizard part, they really have no similarities to mages. They're very mobile, but lack a lot of the control mages have.
    Mesmers: Illusionists, summon clones. They have no equivalent to anything in WoW.

If you want a heavy armored, melee class like what you describe then warrior or guardian is fine. I'd pick guardian personally, since they have a bit more options and generally are more useful for WvW and sPvP. Warriors are good if you go full glass cannon and use a greatsword, but other than damage bitches they offer very little. Both are fun to play though, and both can hold their own fairly well. Guardians do lack a viable ranged option, whereas warriors are very strong with rifles and longbows as main weapons.

If you're looking for a healer/support or tank like character, the current PvE scene doesn't really use those. For sPvP, guardians or eles make excellent tanks, and guardians, eles, engineers, necromancers, or mesmers make excellent support/utility.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-02-16 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd call mesmers somewhat similar to mages on the PvP side of things larynx, they're extremely sneaky when played nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I'd call mesmers somewhat similar to mages on the PvP side of things larynx, they're extremely sneaky when played nicely.
    I suppose they are a bit similar to frost mages with their shatters. They're just difficult to place, even assuming we just use the typical power/sword build. They're definitely more similar to mages than eles are, that's for sure.

Just bought the game now and are downloading it atm Gonna be cool trying it out

After you do the tutorial, you can access the Mists from the PvP tab. In there, you're level to 80 and have all skills. If you want to try something out, that's a good area to see it before you actually level the character.

Quote Originally Posted by tinnvar View Post
    But i guess the classes would have some stuff that wow got? I been on youtube most of the night watching guild wars movies so i can learn more about the classes.
    Thats why i asked here since i like playing a melee class + that got some heavy armor that can solo stuff.
    Well, there are only two classes with heavy armor, Guardian and Warrior. And every GW2 class can solo stuff. Warrior is a straightforward offensive class with a good health buffer and solid healing, Guardian is more oriented towards sustained damage, buffs and active damage mitigation.

By the way, I can only recommend you to follow Larynx's suggestion and try various classes out in the PvP lobby. Some of them might surprise you. I never liked plying caster classes in WoW, but GW2's Elementalist and Necro are both a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    If you want a heavy armored, melee class like what you describe then warrior or guardian is fine. I'd pick guardian personally, since they have a bit more options and generally are more useful for WvW and sPvP. Warriors are good if you go full glass cannon and use a greatsword, but other than damage bitches they offer very little.
    Don't discount warriors so harshly! We can bring far more to the table than being mere "damage bitches". With the right mix of traits, skills, and gear, we can also full-on face-tank, heal, remove conditions, crowd-control people into oblivion, etc. As a matter of fact, my current build can tank, deal damage, heal, *and* remove conditions.

Shameless guide plugs:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Playstyles
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...it-Build-Guide

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arajal View Post
    Don't discount warriors so harshly! We can bring far more to the table than being mere "damage bitches". With the right mix of traits, skills, and gear, we can also full-on face-tank, heal, remove conditions, crowd-control people into oblivion, etc. As a matter of fact, my current build can tank, deal damage, heal, *and* remove conditions.

Shameless guide plugs:
    Adding into this warriors are THE BEST Rez bitch in the game, nothing can even come close to how quickly and safely they can pick up their allies.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by almosthuman View Post
    this game isn't wow. use google, you will find more than you need.
    Did you seriously just tell someone who went on a FORUM asking for help, to use google?
    "One day I'm just gonna get off the bus and run into the woods and I'm never gonna
    come back, and when I come back, I'm gonna be the knife master."

Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by Arajal View Post

Shameless guide plugs:
    Other people do it better, or the build is unnecessary. For PVP

Warrior bunkers are terrible compared to guardians. Warrior healing is much less compared to Eles, or a thief with a water field. Eles remove conditions far better than warriors. The only thing warriors are really good at is hammer or mace cc builds. Those typically aren't used since so much has to be sacrificed to get it, or are used with a gs glass cannon.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-02-17 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    The only thing warriors are really good at is hammer or mace cc builds. Those typically aren't used since so much has to be sacrificed to get it, or are used with a gs glass cannon.
    My offensive-roaming/bunker sword/shield + hammer build would disagree with your statement (yes, I'm talking in sPvP).

To me, it's more about the skill of the player than the class they play when sPvP is involved.