Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    You mean the system you could game to basically destroy any enemy in one turn? Yeah. The Jobs system, or even the unlock system that other FF used, feels so much more rewarding than simply equipping KotR into your slotted weapon.
    I for one loved that particular fact. Not that I could destroy enemies in one turn. But to make the most efficient combos with materia. In the end I was close to creating a sellfsupporting system just understaking one action with a single character and could never die either.

Let's not forget that when you first play this game, you def. not have a system like that. You just think KotR on a mime is nice enough. Creating a system like this (without looking for hints on the internet or being told by a friend) isn't that easy.

The Jobs system like in X was terrible to me. Couldn't even reset it to relocate all the points. So sure I completed the game but I would be lying if my "jobs" would be efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Is it even on the list? I don't know about top 10 but it seems odd that CS wouldn't be on the list. I'm not even much of a FPS person and even I know how important that game is.
    Nope, not even on the list. They put source on there though, but every cs player know that source havent been close to the succes 1.6 was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebowey View Post
    The problem is that too many of you guys live in your mom's basement. What about Madden(any of them), Tecmo Superbowl, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Metroid, Megaman, Zelda O.G., NFL 2k on the dreamcast, Contra, there are plenty more to list. Go outside and smell the fresh air.
    Hmm and for that you made an account? Makes me sad :x
    Character(s): Velestra || Guild(s): Untotenschutzverein - MM || Sig by Lorfine

Deleted
    My top 5:

1. Super Castlevania 4.

2. Half Life.

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2.

4. Super Mario 64.

5. Pokemon Gold/Silver during the early 00's.

Everyone got their opinions and people will hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    1. Portal
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Super Metroid
    4. Shadow of the Colossus
    5. Wind Waker
    6. BioShock
    7. Super Mario Bros 3
    8. Uncharted 2
    9. Link to the Past
    10. WoW

Just so you know the company we are in as a top 10 game.
    6 of my favorite games are in the top 10. Nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the original link is just from the subjective opinion of someone, who from the looks of it hasn't had any long term experience in gaming overall, maybe a teenager who has only been playing game since it was 10 or something.

I'll include my own list, it won't be the best, but its my list from the perspective of a 32 year old's years of gaming.

- Final Fantasy 7 (ps1)
    The first time introduced into the final fantasy franchise, and couldn't stop playing for hours on end, sometimes staying up late and missing collage for it. So worth it.

- Dynamite headdy (genesis)
    Great side scrolling platform on genesis, unique and hardly known, but boasted the kind of high action from similar ones like sonic.

- World of Warcraft (pc)
    Speaks for itself, my first real mmo and playing it even now after 7-8 years, also the best mmo having tried other ones and none being able to compare to it. Still rooted with this franchise.

- Soul Reaver (ps1)
    Great action adventure with a twist, with unique mechanics and a backstory that left it open to so much entertainment, tragic hero type.

- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (genesis)
    First sonic was alright, but the second one made the first one feel slow and less vibrant. Many hours spent playing with my friends on it as two player mode.

- Silent Hill (original) (ps1)
    First time I brought a real scary game, and dam, even with the pixelated graphics this was a killer, atmosphere and tension all though the game, more then I felt playing resident evil.

- Final Fantasy 10 (ps2)
    Ok, some might argue with this, but I don't give a shit, I loved the story, the characters, the fighting mechanics, the boss fights, a final fantasy with actual voice actors for once, really felt like they pushed the franchise in another direction (and I have played all of them between 6-12).

- Super Street Fighter 2 (snes)
    First fighting game I ever played, and couldn't stop playing, against my older brother, though he was always better then me, it didn't stop me wanting to play as my favorites like Blanka and Guile.

- zelda: A link to the past (snes)
    My brother owned it, but every time he went out I'd play it in his badroom, really loved the exploration, the boss fights, the upgrades such.

- Shadow of the Colossus (ps2)
    Defiantly one of the most unique games I'd played in a long time, with a real twist at the end, it made the replay on fighting the bosses so intense.

- Metal Gear Solid 2 (ps2)
    My one downside with this was only getting to play as snake for 1 mission, he's so awesome, but still the gameplay and sensation action, how the npcs react to whatever you do, the boss fights, all awesome stuff.

anyway, those are mind top... urm... 11 games, so yeah we all have our own. You can't make a list of top best games without having a kind of subjective quality about it. you might be someone who only likes sports games or fighting games. You might be someone whos only into horror games or silly games. Its not held in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Honestly, the original link is just from the subjective opinion of someone, who from the looks of it hasn't had any long term experience in gaming overall, maybe a teenager who has only been playing game since it was 10 or something.

I'll include my own list, it won't be the best, but its my list from the perspective of a 32 year old's years of gaming.

- Final Fantasy 7 (ps1)
    The first time introduced into the final fantasy franchise, and couldn't stop playing for hours on end, sometimes staying up late and missing collage for it. So worth it.

- Dynamite headdy (genesis)
    Great side scrolling platform on genesis, unique and hardly known, but boasted the kind of high action from similar ones like sonic.

- World of Warcraft (pc)
    Speaks for itself, my first real mmo and playing it even now after 7-8 years, also the best mmo having tried other ones and none being able to compare to it. Still rooted with this franchise.

- Soul Reaver (ps1)
    Great action adventure with a twist, with unique mechanics and a backstory that left it open to so much entertainment, tragic hero type.

- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (genesis)
    First sonic was alright, but the second one made the first one feel slow and less vibrant. Many hours spent playing with my friends on it as two player mode.

- Silent Hill (original) (ps1)
    First time I brought a real scary game, and dam, even with the pixelated graphics this was a killer, atmosphere and tension all though the game, more then I felt playing resident evil.

- Final Fantasy 10 (ps2)
    Ok, some might argue with this, but I don't give a shit, I loved the story, the characters, the fighting mechanics, the boss fights, a final fantasy with actual voice actors for once, really felt like they pushed the franchise in another direction (and I have played all of them between 6-12).

- Super Street Fighter 2 (snes)
    First fighting game I ever played, and couldn't stop playing, against my older brother, though he was always better then me, it didn't stop me wanting to play as my favorites like Blanka and Guile.

- zelda: A link to the past (snes)
    My brother owned it, but every time he went out I'd play it in his badroom, really loved the exploration, the boss fights, the upgrades such.

- Shadow of the Colossus (ps2)
    Defiantly one of the most unique games I'd played in a long time, with a real twist at the end, it made the replay on fighting the bosses so intense.

- Metal Gear Solid 2 (ps2)
    My one downside with this was only getting to play as snake for 1 mission, he's so awesome, but still the gameplay and sensation action, how the npcs react to whatever you do, the boss fights, all awesome stuff.

anyway, those are mind top... urm... 11 games, so yeah we all have our own. You can't make a list of top best games without having a kind of subjective quality about it. you might be someone who only likes sports games or fighting games. You might be someone whos only into horror games or silly games. Its not held in stone.
    Guessing since we are both of almost the same age - we have similar tastes and memories. Though I haven't had the pleasure of playing every game you had on the list, mostly because I didn't have a Genesis.

About FF7: I had a friend who brought his memory stick with him (so his and mine were inserted in the console) and he was playing for me cause I needed to go to the bathroom...

So he saved my savegame over his - 99 hours of playtime just went out the window.... He was physically sick of it. I lol'd but also felt bad for him.

Played Ken and Guile the most in Street Fighter II (don't think it was called Super Street Fighter unless they changed the name for it in other countries)
    Loved dragonpunching my way to Bison

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Snip'd more ignorance
    A cult you say, I lold. A cult of ignorance, definitely.

Meanwhile you rally behind any banner you possibly can to protect yourself from the debris of a crumbling castle. Star Wars Galaxies was one of the most beloved MMO's on the market, and it was a niche within a niche. Everquest still has tales today about the exploits that took place in that game, in fact, Everquest is what brought about the creation of WoW to begin with. Dark Age of Camelot laid down the foundation for what a true MMO PvP experience should be like, and is a celebrated MMO to this day.

No one is disputing WoW as a good game, but WoW is no industry champion by conventional means or accomplishments. One of the biggest reasons WoW is as popular as it is today, and I'll repeat myself for you, even though you will ignore it and spout nonsense again, is because WoW had marketing, in a genre that hardly ever saw outside it's niche. From there, and its theft/mimicry, it was just a matter of time before word of mouth snowballed WoW into popularity.

But here is the thing: Popularity doesn't mean good. Justin Bieber is popular, Call of Duty is popular, WoW is popular. Popularity does not mean something is a paragon among its genre, popularity means the masses will flock to it, popularity means accessible. A lot of WoW's success can be attributed to right place, right time.

No Deus Ex in top 100? What moron created that list?

Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    But here is the thing: Popularity doesn't mean good. Justin Bieber is popular, Call of Duty is popular, WoW is popular. Popularity does not mean something is a paragon among its genre, popularity means the masses will flock to it, popularity means accessible. A lot of WoW's success can be attributed to right place, right time.
    Just hopping in to say that there is a lot of truth there. Like them dailies and LFR. Dailies are very popular in terms of people doing them. But it doesn't mean it is actually a feature people appriciate. Same with LFR. I do LFR not cause I enjoy LFR, I do LFR cause it gets me gear.

Do I enjoy normal and heroic raids? Yes I do. Or atleast I did, cause I haven't done those since the beginning of MoP.

A cult you say, I lold. A cult of ignorance, definitely.

No one is disputing WoW as a good game, but WoW is no industry champion by conventional means or accomplishments.

I never laughed so much after reading the black line.

Seriously... 10 BILLION dollars revenue total for 1 video game is around 3 times more revenue than The Titanic movie and Avatar COMBINED.

That's not popular that's SUCCESS in HARD dollar signs. WOW = cult. It outgrew its game status already a long time ago.

Want more proof ?: you DEDICATE your precious times in life by trying to down talk it on a forum... What more proof do you want it far surpasses its players... Wow absorbs the lives of its haters.

---
    WoW has earned the spot, after 8 years of bringing people together from all over the world for brutal combat. Friends have been made, enemies have been made, careers have been made, lives have changed. But over all of this, memories have been made. I cannot think of any other game that has accomplished this. WoW is in the history books and is the "thing" that all current and future game developers will strive to create. Without a doubt one, if not the greatest game of all time.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-19 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Just hopping in to say that there is a lot of truth there. Like them dailies and LFR. Dailies are very popular in terms of people doing them. But it doesn't mean it is actually a feature people appriciate. Same with LFR. I do LFR not cause I enjoy LFR, I do LFR cause it gets me gear.

Do I enjoy normal and heroic raids? Yes I do. Or atleast I did, cause I haven't done those since the beginning of MoP.
    I'm cutting it here because I'm really starting to derail, but I don't hate WoW whatsoever. Quite the opposite, I'm impressed by Activision-Blizzards success. WoW isn't my cup of tea anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm on a crusade to damn the game. Nothing pains me more than to see an MMO die, the genre really doesn't have too much wiggle room for the death, at least not yet.

I just feel that, if a list was to include an MMO, there are far more deserving ones on there. WoW may be popular, but Ultima Online practically gave birth to the genre. The only things I think WoW innovated were instanced dungeons/battlegrounds, and LFR/LFG. Definitely deserving a spot in the top twenty or so in my opinion, but just seems out of place when there are far more deserving MMO's out there.

[QUOTE=BenBos;20268437]
    I never laughed so much after reading the black line.

Seriously... 10 BILLION dollars revenue total for 1 video game is around 3 times more revenue than The Titanic movie and Avatar COMBINED.

That's not popular that's SUCCESS in HARD dollar signs. WOW = cult. It outgrew its game status already a long time ago.

Want more proof ?: you DEDICATE your precious times in life by trying to down talk it on a forum... What more proof do you want it far surpasses its players... Wow absorbs the lives of its haters.
    Bloodrayne movies, Resident Evil movies, Silent Hill movies, etc. What is your point? Society has proven that anything popular will gain a movie/book, hell have you seen the Warhammer/Warhammer 40k stuff? There is a ton of literature on Warhammer. Point being, a movie/book means nothing.

Keep laughing, but you're only humiliating yourself. Cult of ignorance indeed.

You also completely misread the bold, or maybe English isn't your first language? I explained why WoW isn't an industry champion by conventional means in great detail, plus, there wasn't even negative connotations behind such a statement, so your laughter is more than a little strange.

Caught your cute edit there, and I hate to chip at your inflated ego, but there is no absorption or "dedication of precious time" (you really like using that sentence as of late) at all. I'm bored with free time, and you're amusing. There really isn't much more to it than that.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2013-02-19 at 04:03 PM.

talk about worst top 100 list of all time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any top 10 list that doesn't include Tetris is not to be taken seriously.

My reasoning for it is simple, no other game can be played on anything from a PDA/smartphone, console, PC, Game Boy etc. You get the point, anything with a screen can play Tetris. Seniors can play it, small children can play it, you can fire up a game and not have to do anything but play. No story, no instruction, no ramp up or learning curve. Minute to learn, lifetime to master.

This is my criteria for making Tetris top 10 material on any list and no other game can touch it when that criteria is used.

I'm cutting it here because I'm really starting to derail, but I don't hate WoW whatsoever. Quite the opposite, I'm impressed by Activision-Blizzards success. WoW isn't my cup of tea anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm on a crusade to damn the game. Nothing pains me more than to see an MMO die, the genre really doesn't have too much wiggle room for the death, at least not yet.

I just feel that, if a list was to include an MMO, there are far more deserving ones on there. WoW may be popular, but Ultima Online practically gave birth to the genre. The only things I think WoW innovated were instanced dungeons/battlegrounds, and LFR/LFG. Definitely deserving a spot in the top twenty or so in my opinion, but just seems out of place when there are far more deserving MMO's out there.

Bloodrayne movies, Resident Evil movies, Silent Hill movies, etc. What is your point? Society has proven that anything popular will gain a movie/book, hell have you seen the Warhammer/Warhammer 40k stuff? There is a ton of literature on Warhammer. Point being, a movie/book means nothing.

Keep laughing, but you're only humiliating yourself. Cult of ignorance indeed.

You also completely misread the bold, or maybe English isn't your first language? I explained why WoW isn't an industry champion by conventional means in great detail, plus, there wasn't even negative connotations behind such a statement, so your laughter is more than a little strange.
    Wow absorbs the lives of its haters. Without knowing it: your posts prove it.

That's cult.

When a game far surpasses its players and grabs on to economical and cultural areas.

----
    WoW has earned the spot, after 8 years of bringing people together from all over the world for brutal combat. Friends have been made, enemies have been made, careers have been made, lives have changed. But over all of this, memories have been made. I cannot think of any other game that has accomplished this. WoW is in the history books and is the "thing" that all current and future game developers will strive to create. Without a doubt one, if not the greatest game of all time.

Wow absorbs the lives of its haters. Without knowing it: your posts prove it.

That's cult.
    I like how you ignored everything I said, just to repeat baseless rhetoric. Either you're a bot, or I broke you BenBos.

I'm going with the far more satisfying latter.

Time to get out while the getting is good. I'd rather not go down with this sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Any top 10 list that doesn't include Tetris is not to be taken seriously.

My reasoning for it is simple, no other game can be played on anything from a PDA/smartphone, console, PC, Game Boy etc. You get the point, anything with a screen can play Tetris. Seniors can play it, small children can play it, you can fire up a game and not have to do anything but play. No story, no instruction, no ramp up or learning curve. Minute to learn, lifetime to master.

This is my criteria for making Tetris top 10 material on any list and no other game can touch it when that criteria is used.
    Hate to be "that guy", but I never understood the appeal to include Tetris on any form of "best game" list. It just feels akin to adding Minesweeper to such a list.

I like how you ignored everything I said, just to repeat baseless rhetoric. Either you're a bot, or I broke you BenBos.

I'm going with the far more satisfying latter.

Time to get out while the getting is good. I'd rather not go down with this sinking ship.

Hate to be "that guy", but I never understood the appeal to include Tetris on any form of "best game" list. It just feels akin to adding Minesweeper to such a list.
    My guess he rates games as to what kind of effect it had on the market. Tetris is one of those games that had a HUGE impact. That said, I don't enjoy tetris that much. But I do respect its novelty it had when it was out.

That said I don't particularly agree with you or Benbos or disagree for that matter. It just seems you both have a particular view. And both have valid points. But to come back to the movies you quoted. That had nothing to do with Benbos was trying to say. He was talking about millions, no wait... Billions of dollars made by Blizzard. As opposed to the few billions of dollars Avatar or Titanic made. Talking about impact.

Now it is ofc an apple and a pear. But movies also have impacts etc. Anyway I am derailing. But you cannot without a shadow of a doubt say that WoW isn't important in culture. Look at Southpark. Look at all those weird comics they make on several websites. Look at this site for example. Look at how people talk these days. While WoW may not have been "original" it certainly made an impact.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-02-19 at 04:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't help but sit here and laugh. I mean, most of you are throwing the word "opinion" around like its some sort of illness. Yes, it's the authors opinion. How low are we as a society to immediately write shit like "Fucking moron" and "pathetic garbage list" because someone else doesn't magically match your tastes. Seriously, what ever happened to "Huh, interesting. Personally I like these games though..." followed by actually offering constructive feedback as to why a game was in your top 10 rather than clinging to the "it wuz the first game i played of the genre and will always be the best cuz I wuz going through tuff timez and cloud was always there for me!"

Pretty fucking sad.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about about why Portal is number 1. Good game, innovative, but Half Life 2 is far superior in every way. Also, Wind Waker above Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time? Honestly Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 should probably be higher, as well as something like Doom or Goldeneye 007, since FPS games are the biggest genre and they made it what it is. But, I'm not sure if innovation and legacy are put as high in their minds as in mine.

However, I agree World of Warcraft should be up there as it is an incredible feat of technology, innovation, and video gaming. When it came out it was absolutely mystifying and it is the only game I have ever played year-round for coming up on a Decade. It is easily deserving to be in the top 10 with some of the greats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.