Page 1 of 2
LastLast

RAF in the US, on a European account.

So a friend of mine wanted to RAF with me, but is not able to do so cause she lives in the US (she's from europe thus the european account)

What exactly is the point of this? Why are you not allowed to use the RAF service in the US on a European account?

Thanks for contacting us in regard of your issue with the Recruit a Friend promotion not available for your World of Warcraft account.

First of all please accept my apologies for not being able to get in touch with directly in game.

In regard of your issue I regret to confirm you that while United States laws are absolutely not against the Recruit a Friend (they have their own promotion!), you are not able to send a Recruit a Friend invitation from an European account.
    Was the response from customer service.

They give you absolutely no information other than it's not allowed.
    Last edited by Sez; 2013-02-19 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    US and EU realms aren't linked at all. The intention of RAF is to play together and you would be unable to do that. I'm not even sure if there is technical limitations even just for sending the invitations; they're pretty much two separate systems.

Can she just make a EU account that you can RAF, or does she want to be on US for playtime reasons?

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Sorry, I thought I was clear enough.

She's playing on a european account IN the US, so she can't send a RAF invite to me.
    Last edited by Sez; 2013-02-18 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Sorry, I thought I was clear enough.

She's playing on a european account IN the US, so she can't send a RAF invite to me.
    Sorry I misunderstood. So you're both EU accounts, she just happens to be physically residing in the US?

It should still work, provided you're both associated with eligible countries. The only time living somewhere should be an issue is if you live in a country that prohibits such promotions but as far as I know, the US isn't one of them. Is her address in her account set perhaps to an EU country that doesn't allow such promotions? Is yours?

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/art...t-a-friend-faq

Are all countries eligible to use the "Recruit A Friend" service?
    Players with a World of Warcraft account from the following countries are able to use the "Recruit A Friend" service: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine and United Kingdom. Players from outside of these countries; players with Starter Edition accounts, or with full accounts with 20 referrals from the "Recruit A Friend" service currently pending, are ineligible.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Sorry I misunderstood. So you're both EU accounts, she just happens to be physically residing in the US?

It should still work, provided you're both associated with eligible countries. The only time living somewhere should be an issue is if you live in a country that prohibits such promotions but as far as I know, the US isn't one of them. Is her address in her account set perhaps to an EU country that doesn't allow such promotions? Is yours?

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/art...t-a-friend-faq
    Her adress is set to her adress in the US, since she can't buy prepaid cards in the US for her account, and to use a credit card she had to change her adress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Her adress is set to her adress in the US, since she can't buy prepaid cards in the US for her account, and to use a credit card she had to change her adress.
    Can she change her address back to an EU one (perhaps if family is still there), try sending a RAF, and then change it back later for billing?

I honestly don't know. Provided you're both on the same type of accounts and both in eligible countries, it should work even if her billing address is US. You might try Blizzard's new "live support" feature to try to talk to someone; you'll probably get more helpful information than via email where they just send back formulated replies.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Can she change her address back to an EU one (perhaps if family is still there), try sending a RAF, and then change it back later for billing?

I honestly don't know. Provided you're both on the same type of accounts and both in eligible countries, it should work even if her billing address is US. You might try Blizzard's new "live support" feature to try to talk to someone; you'll probably get more helpful information than via email where they just send back formulated replies.
    It's not as easy to change your adress as it used to be. She has to send in information such as..
    A valid proof of residence in the form of legal identification with address or legal identification without address and a utility bill

and the chat support is offline atm :x

10+ Year Old Account
    Lame.

Okay, well, I'm out of ideas now. Try the chat when it's up. Good luck!

| twitch | bsky
    |

Lame.

Okay, well, I'm out of ideas now. Try the chat when it's up. Good luck!
    Thanks for trying atleast :3

Will do, thanks.

Deleted
    I can imagine it's impossible, as her having a US address would mean she gets a US RaF, which obviously can't be linked to an EU account. Blizzard probably never took in account that people might have a US address with an EU WoW account.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    I can imagine it's impossible, as her having a US address would mean she gets a US RaF, which obviously can't be linked to an EU account. Blizzard probably never took in account that people might have a US address with an EU WoW account.
    I just don't see the issue with letting people that live in the US with EU Account use their RAF program, it's more money for them? Can't possibly be a law against this in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't see the issue with letting people that live in the US with EU Account use their RAF program, it's more money for them? Can't possibly be a law against this in the US?
    Yeah, I agree with you. The place you live is supposed to only matter if there is a prohibition on promotions and we all know there isn't for US since there is a US version of RAF. What should matter is the account type.

But obviously we're missing something since it's not working.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Hi Sez, I'll be happy to also take a look at this for you to see if I can help clear this up. Can you PM me the ID for your ticket where this was addressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Araxom View Post
    Hi Sez, I'll be happy to also take a look at this for you to see if I can help clear this up. Can you PM me the ID for your ticket where this was addressed?
    I would LOVE to know how this was resolved as I am from the UK and currently live in the US and play on EU realms and although a few years ago I was able to R-A-F myself for a second account now I'm unable to do it again, as such I'm missing out on mounts (2 so far and another one coming soon) and missing the ability to throw more money at Blizzard each month >.>

Also wondering if the changes to R-A-F coming soon will resolve this problem...

Hi Majeeko, I don't quite recall what the particular resolution was here - but if you have any issues getting the RAF promotion going on (when it is reactivated), you're welcome to PM me =)

I'll give it a few days then and get back to you via PM on here (Thanks for your reply too!) ... Just as a side note, I used SoR on myself too and although I 'qualified' for the insta boost to 80 on a character I apparently never 'qualified' for the mount that goes along with the SoR... International calls cost a fortune so trying to get all these things figured out is VERY expensive especially when no one seems to have much of an idea whats going on when I talk to them lol

once your battle.net account got updated to a united states mailing address it became a "us account" the european wow licenses you already had got "grandfathered in" and you're still able to upgrade those to new expansions/use character services, but you are unable to add new EU WoW trials (shows as americas only now) and get access denied for any promotions. I have the friends in higher places feat of strength achievement but when I moved to the us and updated my address (had to send them my photo id and a piece of mail) I was no longer eligible to send recruit a friend invites.

Araxom do you know if this is intended, are we unable to use RAF in EU WoW due to our BNET account being marked as US?

example of starter accounts being changed to US only:
    Last edited by coldrain; 2013-10-30 at 12:23 PM.
    POWERED BY THE RED RAGE OF OUR CUSTOMERS, THIS IRON STEED WILL VALIANTLY LEAD YOU INTO BATTLE FOR THE ONLY FEW WEEKS YOU WILL USE IT. TAKES ONLY $30 AND YOUR SOUL TO ENJOY THE MOUNT EVERY OTHER PERSON HAS. BUY NOOOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am from EU and I play on US account. I recently changed the address on the US account into my adress in EU. Was going to RAF one account, but I'm not sure if I will be able to.
    So I don't get it, can't you send RAF's at all? Or you just can't enter EU adress if you are using US account to send RAF?
    So confusing, this topic.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    I am from EU and I play on US account. I recently changed the address on the US account into my adress in EU. Was going to RAF one account, but I'm not sure if I will be able to.
    So I don't get it, can't you send RAF's at all? Or you just can't enter EU adress if you are using US account to send RAF?
    So confusing, this topic.
    It seems you're only eligible to use services such as RAF and SoR if your battle.net address matches the country of your WoW licenses

The issue is this. when you move to a different country and play WoW it's only a matter of time before blizzard's "smart" system wrongfully locks/bans your account thinking it is compromised, you are then forced to talk to their customer service and explain the situation, which ends in you having to change your battle.net address to match where you are logging in from to play WoW.

Blizzard automated bans you for logging in with IPs not matching the information on file after awhile

so it's not as simple as just leaving your old country address on your bnet account otherwise I would have done just that.
    POWERED BY THE RED RAGE OF OUR CUSTOMERS, THIS IRON STEED WILL VALIANTLY LEAD YOU INTO BATTLE FOR THE ONLY FEW WEEKS YOU WILL USE IT. TAKES ONLY $30 AND YOUR SOUL TO ENJOY THE MOUNT EVERY OTHER PERSON HAS. BUY NOOOW.

Hey all, it's difficult to speak to this in more detail while the promotion is currently being updated. I'd hate to speak to it only to find out that the information I posted was no longer relevant. Let's hold off on the investigation here until RAF comes back up online. Once we do reactivate it, if you have any specific questions or difficulties sending or receiving the invitations please contact us so that we can check this out in more detail for you. Thanks!

On a side note: I will say that in the past it was not the BNet region which limited RAF functionality, but rather the specific location for where the account was attempting to send or receive the invite from. Because there are many areas in Europe where Blizzard is not allowed to offer that promotion, we had to limit who was able to engage in that in the past. Once the promotion comes back up online, we'll see if there have been any amendments to that. Cheers!