Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best 'BG' class?

In your opinion which do you class/spec do you think is 'best' for dominating battlegrounds? From sustained damage, to taking a lot of damage. I'm looking to level a new char specifically for battlegrounds (I want to attempt to solo-farm out the 250k HK's and finish off some other achievements)

Many thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Priest, if you go shadow you can just dot the living crap out of people and always have a ton of defensives to heal yourself back up.

Deleted
    paladin with bubble heart glyph

Since you won't always have a healer, I'd suggest playing a ranged class. Melee are often forced to choose between terrible positioning and doing nothing; a competent ranged class can completely avoid a ton of damage in most encounters. I'd probably expect hunters and shadow priests to your best choices, with mage, warlock, and moonkin as other decent candidates.

What you actually go with is really going to depend on what you want to play though. Classes have different strengths and you really have to choose exactly what you're after in the end. If you want to keep deaths to a minimum, you could play a tank, healer, or possibly rogue; if you just want insane damage you'd go with a dk or moonkin, but you'd have pretty weak survivability.

Probably DK.

1. Starts at 55 so you don't have to level from 0 (unless you have a 55+ of every class anyway)

2. Pretty hard hitting, meaning you'll be scoring a lot of the KBs.

3. Can take a lot of damage in 5.2, and can dish out a lot. DKs are looking really strong next patch.

On a side note though, if you're JUST going for honorable kills.. maybe a stealth class is better so you can just sit 'near' the action. That way you don't have to worry about dying and not getting HKs. Rogues are looking okay next patch and have a lot of escape tools in case you were knocked out of stealth. (Even though it's not really partaking in PvP, it's probably the easiest way to get the achievement).

WSG & Twin Peaks - I like using druids, disc priests, WW monks, Blood DKs as badass or very mobile flag carriers.

AB & Battle for Gilneas - Stealth classes all the way to ninja bases.

EotS & AB - Absolutely love my ele shaman and glyphed hunter trap/camo hunter for blasting fuckers off cliffs.

AV/IoC/Strand - I take deserter for those. All day.

Temple & Mine Cart maps haven't played much pvp this xpack to comment.

Overall best defensive: Blood DK (God Mode)
    Overall best offensive: Frost Mage

15+ Year Old Account
    Spec wise druids wins, good heals, best rbg tank and good dps(boomkin)
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Healers in general.

Healers can be really good, but without LoS objects, sometimes feel like your effectiveness depends on the other team.
    Hunters on the other hand feel like they're designed for random BGs.

DK's definitely do the highest amount of damage if allowed to stay offensive consistently. Boomkins deal decent damage however their CC and mobility is far superior to that of a DK so I'd say it's a tie between those two.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 03:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowkeys View Post
    Healers can be really good, but without LoS objects, sometimes feel like your effectiveness depends on the other team.
    Hunters on the other hand feel like they're designed for random BGs.
    Are you actually serious? They don't have any form of sustained AoE damage and their traps are utterly useless...

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 03:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    Healers in general.
    You should read the beginning of the OP's second sentence.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 03:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    Probably DK.

1. Starts at 55 so you don't have to level from 0 (unless you have a 55+ of every class anyway)

2. Pretty hard hitting, meaning you'll be scoring a lot of the KBs.

3. Can take a lot of damage in 5.2, and can dish out a lot. DKs are looking really strong next patch.

On a side note though, if you're JUST going for honorable kills.. maybe a stealth class is better so you can just sit 'near' the action. That way you don't have to worry about dying and not getting HKs. Rogues are looking okay next patch and have a lot of escape tools in case you were knocked out of stealth. (Even though it's not really partaking in PvP, it's probably the easiest way to get the achievement).
    I think staying in stealth all the time will eventually lead to his group losing pressure and potentially losing? Come on, don't be like that.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 03:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Spec wise druids wins, good heals, best rbg tank and good dps(boomkin)
    Yeah probably this.

Farming HKs "solo" depends on the group you get. If healers are lacking you should play a healing class to support your group. Especially in 10v10 bgs a healer more can win the zerg.
    If you plan to farm HKs in IoC or AV heavy damage is helpful, especially ae.

Some of the achievements are easier as stealth class - (re)tapping, defusing bombs etc.
    Capturing Flags (WSG, EotS, TP, Kotmogu) may be easier as tank, healer or if your class can run fast.

The only class which meets all of these requirements is druid. But keep in mind that you will have to farm at least two sets of gear if you want to be able to switch your role at any time.

I'm playing a lot of random bgs on my mage and the only achievements missing are the 100 wins in kotmogu and silvershard mines. Getting some achievements solo is almost impossible - 1600-0 in EotS for example. I recommend gathering some friends and join bgs as group. Makes it more fun, because you may have five noobs/bots less than usual and as a bonus you can talk to them via voice chat.

Probably mage. They can't tank damage like you want, but have many ways to stop it. Other than that I say druid as above mentioned and paladin. Burst every 2 minutes and decent cds that are quite game breaking in randoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage>Destro Lock>Spriest>Frost DK>The Rest imo. I've gone 66-0 in AV on my mage before, we have good burst, high skill cap, and high control in a bg setting. I saw a destro lock go 55-0 with 23 million damage the other day and they have the KB sniper (Shadowburn). Spriests have a bit less burst but more frequent and with lots of get aways and a KB sniper (SW: Death). Dk can also pad the meters in bgs for damage but they don't usually top KBs and I don't ever really have an issue with them 1v1.

Warriors and hunters can do well but only if they are really good/ have a pocket healer.
    Last edited by Boricha; 2013-02-19 at 03:17 AM.

Forget all you just read and here's the easiest way to do it:

Twink out a level 14 or 19 resto druid / boomkin / rogue / feral, or twink out a hunter from level 14-39, put them in full PvP BoAs with the best enchants you can get, then get friends that'll run you through instances that have the best BiS items for your level and just roflstomp kids in 1-3 globals in bgs.

It'll be easier in the EXP-on BGs rather than the EXP-off bgs as everyone is twinked in those.

Still, at lower levels, it's so much easier to kill people when they're lacking most of their main abilities, and still new to their character. Not saying that you can't farm HKs at 90, it just becomes more difficult with how out of wack 90 pvp is right now.

Best level 90 places to farm HKs:
    AV:
    Alli: Let the horde backcap a tower or two to push the game.
    Horde: Get a group and turtle Galv... or just turtle in general.

Isle of Conquest:
    Alli: Make SURE you drive a glaive and take it back to your base OR go kill demos at WS (The lack of glaive REALLY kills Alli most of the time and will force a longer game. Going for demos because it can force the horde to turtle or defend.)
    Horde: Docks docks docks docks and uhh... oh yeah! Docks. Alli have pushed there since Isle was released, and they will continue to do so. So fight back there and force HKs or a turtle. This is only going to work if most of your team goes to docks, otherwise you're pretty much screwed

Arathi Basin / WSG:
    This is pretty much the same strat for both Alli and Horde: Form a premade group (OQ works amazingly for this if you don't have friends) and just farm a graveyard. Forget the objectives; just kill. If you're holding them at their GY anyway, chances are (as long as your teammates not in your premade aren't totally retarded) your teammates will be able to at least hold 3 bases while the 4-5 of you just farm the GY the whole time. Bring 2 healers for this unless you have a godly healer.

Not too difficult, just a REALLY long grind.

I REALLY hope the people recommending a healer as a good solo BG class are kidding. People in random BGs don't know and don't care that they should be supporting their healers. It's night and day as a healer if you come from a random and do a premade. People actually peeling? Holy shit!

Just get one of the classes that are never underpowered. Mage, Warrior (Except for 1 season).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    I REALLY hope the people recommending a healer as a good solo BG class are kidding. People in random BGs don't know and don't care that they should be supporting their healers. It's night and day as a healer if you come from a random and do a premade. People actually peeling? Holy shit!

Just get one of the classes that are never underpowered. Mage, Warrior (Except for 1 season).
    On the ptr on my mw, I am playing like I would on a dps spec just trying to kill people:O.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

hands down shadow priest.

Nothing can compare to the Overpoweredness of this class.

Im giong to say Hunter.

They are ranged so you don't have to put yourself in danger much. When you are in danger, you have tons of escape tools.

Constant, uninterruptable damge on the move, a self heal, a ranged melee class. Its perfect for random BGs.

Honestly, I prefer Hunters for random bgs.. alot of fun to play, fantastic ability to take on multiple opponents, plenty of utility. decent damage/cc. and you can set it up in alot of ways to suit playstyle;

Camo glyph for full stealth
    explo trap + rhino pet + powershot for 3 knockbacks!
    Binding shot and various trap glyphs to make you a kiting beast.

Not all of these are going to be optimal per se, but alot of fun to play with

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    In your opinion which do you class/spec do you think is 'best' for dominating battlegrounds? From sustained damage, to taking a lot of damage. I'm looking to level a new char specifically for battlegrounds (I want to attempt to solo-farm out the 250k HK's and finish off some other achievements)

Many thanks !
    If you're talking raw damage I'd say a boomkin hands down. With CDs/trinket popped on a pack of 4+ people you can do some ridiculous damage. And I'm pretty sure they're buffing boomy self healing in 5.2, and starsurge is getting a slight buff.

After booms usually FDK(maybe UHDK next patch?) and locks tend to be the next tier of damage. I haven't played either so can't help ya there ><

One very, very underrated spec in RBGs in survival huntard. I don't have my t1 yet and top damage in every bg/rbg. It's a much friendlier spec to play than BM imo. You may not have the crazy lolwut burst a bm hunter has, but it's much more sustained damage, and you can pop multi shot(serpent spread) once every 10-15 seconds for some insane cleave damage. I was actually running with a 2kish RBG group on my boomy the other day and I was telling them about my hunter and asking our hunter if he's tried survival yet in an RBG...sure enough the next group we faced had a survival hunter lol! and he actually topped my boomy's dmg QQ. And unlike a boomy which has terrible single target burst outside of starsurge procs, as a surv hunter you can put out some decent burst to go along with that serpent spread cleave.(IMO hunter is way more fun to play than boomy, but idk about lock/dk)

**oh I noticed people mentioning healers in the thread. Not sure if that's something you're interested in but if so for BGs I'd highly recommend mistweaver. You'll never need a peel, you can kite melee like a boss, and get the amazing stun resistance.(I heard something about them nerfing healing spheres hope that isn't true, but will still be beast bg healers)
    Last edited by Mooji; 2013-02-19 at 11:04 AM.