Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Baby Black Hole likely discovered... close to home

http://www.weather.com/news/science/...-hole-20130219

New data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory suggest a highly distorted supernova remnant may contain the most recent black hole formed in the Milky Way galaxy. The remnant appears to be the product of a rare explosion in which matter is ejected at high speeds along the poles of a rotating star. The remnant, called W49B, is about a thousand years old as seen from Earth and located about 26,000 light-years away.
    Lovely. Discuss. We gonna die!

FYI: I want to make it clear I'm not sitting here sweating in my chair, shaking, terrified of this. The 'we gonna die!' comment should be fairly obviously - a joke.

Though we are gonna die... I'm looking at all of you. >:P
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-02-21 at 11:16 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    26,000 light years. That's just over the range of one Halo installation. We def' gunna die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Not in my life time, so I don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's roughly the same distance from Earth as the galactic center. Not really what I'd call close to home.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    That's roughly the same distance from Earth as the galactic center. Not really what I'd call close to home.
    Seems I suck at reading this morning...

Still, neat article nonetheless, wouldn't you say?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    26,000 light years. That's just over the range of one Halo installation. We def' gunna die.
    Tee hee hee. I am a genius!
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't there a really big black hole like 2000 lightyears from us that we discovered ages ago? This baby black hole doesn't seem to qualify as being in our "interstellar backyard" =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian101 View Post
    Wasn't there a really big black hole like 2000 lightyears from us that we discovered ages ago? This baby black hole doesn't seem to qualify as being in our "interstellar backyard" =P
    V4641 Sgr was originally thought to be a "mere" 1500-1600 LY away, but later observations pushed it out to 24,000 LY or greater.

Soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this black hole is an equal distance from us as the galactic core, I'd be more owrried about the...galactic core. That one is HUGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    If this black hole is an equal distance from us as the galactic core, I'd be more owrried about the...galactic core. That one is HUGE!
    Its not like its of much concern.

Like - if the Sun became a black hole we would all freeze to death but it would still have the same mass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its not like its of much concern.

Like - if the Sun became a black hole we would all freeze to death but it would still have the same mass.
    I understand that. It's more the shock factor many will no doubt react to when they are told that a newly discovered black hole is 'only' 26,000 light-years away. We've been just as far away from a supermassive black hole for all this time, yet people will likely think this one is going to end our existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    I understand that. It's more the shock factor many will no doubt react to when they are told that a newly discovered black hole is 'only' 26,000 light-years away. We've been just as far away from a supermassive black hole for all this time, yet people will likely think this one is going to end our existence.
    of course they will. The same people thought the world would end in the year 2000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    of course they will. The same people thought the world would end in the year 2000.
    And we can't forget 2012 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's still like...1/5 to 1/6 of the galaxy away.

Deleted
    A black hole has been discovered in your eyes and you are even calling it Iris.... u go 2 di.

Macrocosm= Microcosm. Black hole != death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Compared to the universe, nay, just the galaxy, that's like in my neighbor's backyard

I'd be more worried about giant black holes that fly trough universe with immense speed. Not to mention they are propably several times larger than our entire solar system. Apparently when galaxies collide and merge, sometimes one of the black holes in the middle get "slingshoted" away. Simulation shows it looks something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXWvJoN_sw

Welcome to a week ago.

Here's the original article and some more pictures:
    http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2013/w49b/
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Entire Galaxy is not going to go on forever. I watch on discovery channel that when our sun burns out and explodes. It will likely burn the surroundings planets and everything around it absorbing it all. Think of a billion blasts going on all at once. It's going take a while to recover. Hundreds of thousands of years or millions but they did say that our entire galaxy would end one day.

Likely billions of years from now when the sun has died. Then it explodes that heat burning right into our planet will be nothing we can avoid. It's interesting to think we're all here chatting, talking having a good time. However in the future fate has plans to kill us all. Not one of us should make it out alive if the sun indeed burns our entire planet through shock wave.

Just shows you treat time you do have, as valued as you can.