Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on how you look at it. WoW kills your social life now, smoking physically kills you later. WoW is cheaper though. Personally, I'd much rather I'd taken up smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    If you were really a psychologist you would know that smoking actually does have some positive aspects, especially since those positive aspects are primarily centered around the mental state. (PS: I'm talking about the effect of nicotine on the body, specifically blood vessels, among other things dealing specifically with smoking and not just nicotine.)
    I was speaking of positive aspects from a behavioral point of view. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Things you are discussing are positive results of using nicotine I believe. There are many ways to get nicotine without smoking and the positive aspects of nicotine in no way outweigh health risks of smoking.
    Last edited by Beenie; 2013-02-19 at 01:52 AM. Reason: clarification

I think that addiction can be defined as such due to their continuous gratification which gives constant pleasure. It is a matter of need in this case, for example a person who lacks pleasure and happiness is likely to be keen on those addictions. It is a loose term, so WoW and cigs can be considered as such. Although cigs are hazardous for health, WoW is more complex and provides a greater challenge to resist in terms of addiction if you grasp its pattern. That's me though.

I personally do not find WoW to be a factor that ruins social life or activities. On the other hand, an individual who is disappointed by life's aspects tend to be absorbed in WoW. It is virtually impossible to have a person that leads the perfect life which includes relationships, friendly or romantic, pleasant career and something to look forward to fall victim to a gaming addiction. In other words, WoW as an addiction is a shelter for some people and I think that this ends up being a problem when it gets in your way to pick up a new chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beenie View Post
    I was speaking of positive aspects from a behavioral point of view. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Things you are discussing are physical results of smoking. I never claimed to be a medical doctor.
    Even psychologists know (or should know) about the effect that blood pressure and relieving said pressure especially in the brain can have on behavior. Nicotine is currently being extensively tested in helping treat Schizophrenia, and smoking itself has been used in treating PTSD and Anxiety. While usually not recommended as a start up program, if someone were not opposed to it, it has been and still is used. All in all, it isn't about being or not being a medical doctor. Psychologists learn how medicine effects patients and why it helps so that they know what to prescribe, which is the only reason I was questioning.

edit: oops, sorry... Psychologists don't prescribe, but they should still be able to recognize a problem enough to know when it is something that could be caused by physical means and have a basic idea of what those physical means are in order to run it by a psychiatrist.
    Last edited by Goatfish; 2013-02-19 at 02:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    Cigarettes are chemically/physically addictive for no longer than three weeks. It's the mental addiction that remains and causes problems for people. When you have never smoked (statistically I'm sure half of you probably have not, at least), don't make assumptions.

As well, stop making this about me. I haven't played WoW in a year. I haven't smoked since early college (years ago). I don't need help quitting either - I already did.

Oh, and lack of self control. LOL. Ignorance is bliss I guess? Anyone who says that has no clue what they're talking about. You do realize some people are genetically predisposed to addiction right? I imagine I am and some of you probably are as well. It's not like crack heads enjoy becoming prostitutes and ruining their lives. No one does that because they just don't have self control. What an idiotic thing to suggest.
    There's no such thing as an addiction to WoW. That's what people are saying, the only way WoW can ruin your life is if you have poor self control and let it get in the way of other things.

No one is suggesting that crack addicts just need to get over themselves.

Depends how balanced your life is.

I know people who play WoW obsessively and hardly leave the house. Most of them are obese and will likely suffer terrible health problems from such a sedentary lifestyle.

I also know smokers who are otherwise healthy and active but somehow think smoking is cool in certain social circles.

Both habits are bad and both have the potential to kill you if not practiced in moderation. Smoking packs of cigarettes a day is very bad but sitting in front of a computer getting no exercise everyday is also very bad. Pick your poison?

WoW doesn't give you cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    Both can make you smell and kill you, people have gone WEEKS without bathing to play a wows new expansion, and days without eating/drinking and have had deaths, just recently people who spent to much time playing D3 have died from not looking after themselves.

To much of ANYTHING is bad for you, and can kill you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cigarette.html

is interesting if true.
    You can be a gamer and still uphold hygiene. This may be a shocking revelation to some of you but...

10+ Year Old Account
    I do both... so what's the question again, lol?

I say WoW. At least my wife smokes too. WoW she has done before, but she detests mostly.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    I like WoW just fine but haven't played it in 4 or 5 days. I've been busy with other games.

Never smoked cigarettes so really can't say.

I'll agree with whoever it was that said the one that causes lung cancer and makes it so you die a horrible death is worse for you. I don't think that's WoW.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW - Is a Hobby that can give you enjoyment & entertainment.

Ciggarettes - gives you cancer.

You pick
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    cigs make u look cool

wow makes u look lame

so wow

I guess wow since I don't do the other.

Well tbh, I'd rather play a game then die of cancer, but that's just me.

My lungs or my time...

Hmmm

If you play enough wow that it creates health problems, then it is actually worse than cigarettes.

A person who exercises and smokes > A person who does not smoke, but is obese and does not move around.
    While you have an increased susceptibility to cancer while smoking, you are far more likely to die from heart disease if you play wow enough that you do not exercise.

But that is assuming that you would play wow for 16 hours a day and never see sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    If you play enough wow that it creates health problems, then it is actually worse than cigarettes.

A person who exercises and smokes > A person who does not smoke, but is obese and does not move around.
    While you have an increased susceptibility to cancer while smoking, you are far more likely to die from heart disease if you play wow enough that you do not exercise.

But that is assuming that you would play wow for 16 hours a day and never see sunshine.
    Well luckily I play WoW (not 16 hours of course), exercise and don't smoke :P

I guess I am screwed then.

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like crap to me

cigarettes easily

Well it depends on how much longer i would live if i didn't smoke. If i added up my game time on WoW and compared it with the years i lose from smoking i might find an answer. Then again i wouldn't have met a lot of my best mates if i never walked up to them and bummed a dart from them at uni and i generally find myself drawn to the personality of smokers (then again there are plenty which are disgusting human beings) as they just seem a lot more carefree about life (i guess you have to be). I haven't gained anything long term from playing WoW apart from the ability to use hotkeys in CAD programs faster. At this point in my life i would say WoW is easily worse for me. Later on down the road when i can't breathe i might change my mind