Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think smoking. Of course WOW is also addicting, but at least it doesn't cause cancer.

WoW costs less, is less addicting, causes less cancer.

Just to be contrarian, WoW is worse. At least you look cool while you smoke.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

wow is addictive just like cheeseburgers are. this thread is a joke. if you get sucked into wow so bad it ruins your life then wow wasnt the main problem. you had mental problems before you even installed the game

I don't think you can generally say they're both as equally addictive, because people are very different when it comes down to these matters.

I've tried a cigarette before when I was drunk, and it was foul and horrible. I've never had another one, and with World of Warcraft I could quit tomorrow and not really get to worked up over it. I'd obviously not do that to my guild and friends, but if I needed or wanted to I could.

So personally, neither of them are addictions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think World of Warcraft quite counts as a genuine addiction. There is no physical dependence on the game. While people can, and have, ruined relationships over it, I think it's less to do with WoW and more to do with someone unable to prioritize their time correctly.
    There doesn't have to be a physical addiction to count as an addiction. Gambling is an excellent example. Not physically addictive whatsoever. But some people get such a high from it that they can't stop. And it fucks up their life.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    I don't smoke. I play WoW.
    Guess your answer

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not the addiction that kills you in smoking, it's the bad contents in there that, if accumulated enough, could kill you. More people have died of cancer, as a result of smoking, than people who died of things, caused by playing WoW or other games.

Deleted
    Playing WoW is like smoking only as if i'd smoke tobacco without nicotine. The occasional cigarette is at least satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I don't think you can generally say they're both as equally addictive, because people are very different when it comes down to these matters.

I've tried a cigarette before when I was drunk, and it was foul and horrible. I've never had another one, and with World of Warcraft I could quit tomorrow and not really get to worked up over it. I'd obviously not do that to my guild and friends, but if I needed or wanted to I could.

So personally, neither of them are addictions.
    Stating that you can give up something tomorrow should you wish to do so but don't want to is classic addict behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think World of Warcraft quite counts as a genuine addiction. There is no physical dependence on the game. While people can, and have, ruined relationships over it, I think it's less to do with WoW and more to do with someone unable to prioritize their time correctly.
    Incorrect "wow addiction " is a medically diagnosed condition and it fall into a general addiction to video games and social media. this electronic addiction is not fully understood but it is know that it triggers the same effect as when a smoker is denied nicotine. It is believed that the brain becomes dependent on dopamine and other " feel good " hormones that get released in high amounts when the person is playing the game or using this given program. when a " game addict " is denied the game they can go thru very painful withdraws, as the body fights to get the stimulus that releases the needed hormones.

as to the original question. smoking is far worse then gaming addiction. the side effects of smoking are fatal; however, the side effects of gaming addiction are destructive personally and socially but are not fatal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    I think that addiction can be defined as such due to their continuous gratification which gives constant pleasure. It is a matter of need in this case, for example a person who lacks pleasure and happiness is likely to be keen on those addictions. It is a loose term, so WoW and cigs can be considered as such. Although cigs are hazardous for health, WoW is more complex and provides a greater challenge to resist in terms of addiction if you grasp its pattern. That's me though.

I personally do not find WoW to be a factor that ruins social life or activities. On the other hand, an individual who is disappointed by life's aspects tend to be absorbed in WoW. It is virtually impossible to have a person that leads the perfect life which includes relationships, friendly or romantic, pleasant career and something to look forward to fall victim to a gaming addiction. In other words, WoW as an addiction is a shelter for some people and I think that this ends up being a problem when it gets in your way to pick up a new chance.
    This. You basicly described my life from when I was 19 - 21.

I was a b+ student with no real effort, was in a long term relationship and had plenty of friends and I had no trouble keeping them and wow was a good game I played now and then, but never excessively.

Then I got a monster depression and was diagnosed manio depressive and not before long WoW was my source of escapism = excessive play.

On-topic:
    I think the worst is the combination. In my case I smoke inside while gaming, which litteraly means I can't quit smoking without not gaming for a really long time. Because I will litterally get horny for a smoke as soon as I enter my password if I haven't smoked for some time.

To me it was more the social aspect of the game that made it a time sink, because sitting in durotar whilst derping on skype still counts as playing even though you are basicly just playing pengiun town for boys. Skype/vent derp is still some of teh best times I've had.

So once I stop smoking I will most likely have a long enough break from wow to never return again (a week without internet was enough for me to quit cata (was like wowo I really don't miss this game) but then you get bored and le boom here I am getting ready for 5.2))

Smoking physically effects your health and costs ALOT more to keep up. I would defiantly say WoW is the lesser of the 2 Evils.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    as to the original question. smoking is far worse then gaming addiction. the side effects of smoking are fatal; however, the side effects of gaming addiction are destructive personally and socially but are not fatal.
    Tell that to the babies that have died due their parents neglecting them for marathon MMO sessions or the teenagers who die from Deep Vein Thrombosis after not moving from their PCs for twelve hours plus.

Wow for me personally. Has affected my school grades, social life and body health back when i was REALLY addicted to it. Smoking obviously affects me in a bad way too, but i dont consider it as bad as wow has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Tell that to the babies that have died due their parents neglecting them for marathon MMO sessions or the teenagers who die from Deep Vein Thrombosis after not moving from their PCs for twelve hours plus.
    you can look at thoes as being caused by the addiction but they have to have had a pre existing addiction and not be a case of gaming hypnosis. also those are compiled problems not just gaming addiction the case has other underlying issues that all compound to cause the death. where as in the case of smoking just the act of smoking alone is fatal

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    you can look at thoes as being caused by the addiction but they have to have had a pre existing addiction and not be a case of gaming hypnosis. also those are compiled problems not just gaming addiction the case has other underlying issues that all compound to cause the death. where as in the case of smoking just the act of smoking alone is fatal
    True, I was not disagreeing with your post as it makes some very valid points however I wanted to make the point that gaming when taken to extremes can prove to extremely damaging and even fatal.

I managed to stop smoking a year ago. Still playing WoW...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    Wow for me personally. Has affected my school grades, social life and body health back when i was REALLY addicted to it. Smoking obviously affects me in a bad way too, but i dont consider it as bad as wow has been.
    Just /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointseven View Post
    I managed to stop smoking a year ago. Still playing WoW...
    playing is fine. but when its an addiction is when you need help.

As a internet addict and gaming addict I get a double slam but I am slowly recovering being in college has helped by giving my mind something to focus its self on outside of the game and internet, alsohaving an understanding fionce helps. so if you think you have an addiction I suggest seeking help?