10+ Year Old Account

12hrs downtime??why so much???

Laetzin Customer Service
    We will be performing scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, February 19th. Maintenance will begin at 1:00 AM PST and is expected to last for 12 hours. During this time, all realms and many web services will be unavailable.

Thank you for your patience.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7923493099

don't recall ever having a long downtime unless there's a patch that went wrong in live realms.

and patch wont be for another week or so.

Deleted
    Dang, are they doing some hardware upgrades or something? Maybe he meant till 12 AM?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardware upgrades? Hotfixes? Extensive Backup? Could be any number of reasons, none of them are "the sky is falling".

They could simply have several hardware shards slated to have hardware replaced to prevent them from potentially crashing.

I.E. Preemptive Maintenance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yunito View Post
    Laetzin Customer Service
    We will be performing scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, February 19th. Maintenance will begin at 1:00 AM PST and is expected to last for 12 hours. During this time, all realms and many web services will be unavailable.

Thank you for your patience.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7923493099

don't recall ever having a long downtime unless there's a patch that went wrong in live realms.

and patch wont be for another week or so.
    Longer, they didn't even announce end of the season yet.

Starcraft 2 is also having downtime of around 12 hours so must be a battle.net thing they are doing.

EDIT: SC2 could be down for so long to apply the pre-HotS patch
    Last edited by Millennía; 2013-02-18 at 11:40 PM.

This has been somewhat common for the last three years. If a big patch is coming they roll most of it out the week or two before so they can just flip a switch or do much less the day it is going live.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    12 hours didn't used to be rare at all, although nowadays it is certainly less common. But still not totally rare.

I'm fine with this. One, because I can't imagine they would take 12 hour unless they needed 12 hours (who wants to deal with a million angry nerds that they can't get their WoW fix for a few more hours if you can avoid it? ) Two, because Tuesday maintenance/patches from classic WoW has forever made it so that if I can even play at all on a Tuesday, I feel awed and grateful.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Prep for 5.2 and prep for HoTS. Would be my guesses.

Im not sure the reasoning, but in mid-late 2010 the servers were scheduled for standard 3am-10am maintainence yet they were actually offline until mid-late afternoon.

(I think it was pre-Cata stuff being implemented)

I remember the community was in uproar, they were forums posts of hundreds of pages and I distinctly recall one horror story where someone said that they actually folded their clothes and placed them in drawers during the offline time.

So maybe this time, they just anticipate something going tits-up.

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is preparation for the upcoming patch 5.2; this patch is large and they might need to start some of the maintenance for it tomorrow. I am not worried really, I'll find something else to do, I won't panic...omg I am panicking!!!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'd say 5.2 prep and HOTS testing for Bnet.

That or it's someone's birthday at HQ...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted

In the first years after WoW was released realms were down from 3AM to 12PM each maintenance.

This will probably flood the forums with "I quit because WoW was down for 12 hours, while I pay for that shit"-posts, by people who don't know crawling out of their basement and spending a day in fresh air and sunlight won't kill them.

Guess I'll be avoiding any WoW-related forums tomorrow. Stuff like that makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Yeah I'd say 5.2 prep and HOTS testing for Bnet.
    That could be it, but D3 servers will be down for 12 hours as well. No big patch is coming D3's way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    That could be it, but D3 servers will be down for 12 hours as well. No big patch is coming D3's way.
    All three games run on Battle.net. If Battle.net is being taken down for twelve hours, all three games will go down for twelve hours, even if not all of the games (or even none of them) need it.

patch inc o m g everyone ready?!

10+ Year Old Account
    in past yes we had 12hr+ of downtime but was due some conflict with realm. Those downtime were extended not announce ahead a time.