Lore Question: What are the 'mists' monks use?

I'm curious if this is left vague, or if there's any actual lore. But what are the mists that mistweavers...weave? Has blizz ever elaborated on where they come from? Any relation to the mists that once shrouded the land? Mostly for RP purposes, I'm hoping there's some sort of info on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are the same mists that shielded Pandaria from the eyes of the world for thousands of years, summoned by Emperor Shaohao as he transcended with the land.

Presumably, they are related to him or his mysticism (or more fittingly... misticism?) in some way.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

My own speculation is its an altered version of the water-based healing spells Shamans use.

I've heard someone compare it to the 'steam' from tea... pushing it more towards the idea of WoW Monks brewing and making tea.

I like Validity's idea though. Much cooler.

But here is a secondary question:

What is the source of Monk's magic?

Shamans and druids draw powers from spirits...
    Priests and paladins draw powers from the divine and power of faith...
    Mages, Warlocks, and Death Knights draw power from Arcane and fel...

So where does Monk's power come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    They are the same mists that shielded Pandaria from the eyes of the world for thousands of years, summoned by Emperor Shaohao as he transcended with the land.

Presumably, they are related to him or his mysticism (or more fittingly... misticism?) in some way.
    i think that it is the same mist and Shaohao was just a really strong mist weaver and was able to summon that much where as a normal mist weaver can only summon smaller amounts
    Im actually not funny, im just really mean and people think im joking.

It's just chi. A monk can manifest chi in multiple ways. Mists, lightning, wind and like the monk in Scarlet monastery(Who was taught by Pandaren), fire.

"Welcome to the Thunderpaw Refuge. Here we practice our craft of focusing our chi into healing."

http://www.wowpedia.org/Mistweaver_Lian

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    It's just chi. A monk can manifest chi in multiple ways. Mists, lightning, wind and like the monk in Scarlet monastery(Who was taught by Pandaren), fire.

"Welcome to the Thunderpaw Refuge. Here we practice our craft of focusing our chi into healing."

http://www.wowpedia.org/Mistweaver_Lian
    Wow! That's helpful!

But what IS chi?

Also, why does their chi take the form of mists for healing, as opposed to something else like... I dunno... energy?

I firmly believe that it is the odor from all the boozing they do. It is just so thick you can see it.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Found this today.

When the pandaren were subjugated by the mogu centuries ago, it was the monks that brought hope to a seemingly dim future. Restricted from using weapons by their slave masters, these pandaren instead focused on harnessing their chi and learning weaponless combat. When the opportunity for revolution struck, they were well-trained to throw off the yoke of oppression. Masters of bare-handed combat, monks never rely solely on the need to have a weapon in their hands to defend against their enemies. Although most widely known to the outside world for their fearsome jabs and flying kicks, they refuse to limit themselves to a single method of combat. Many monks prefer instead to “soak it up” and seem to revel in the intoxicating effect of absorbing blow after blow while their companions press the attack. Other monks specialize in calling upon the restorative power of the mists to balance the good and bad energy within people, returning them to good health and fortune.

Chi I think is some sort of force that all have within themselves, that monks are able to train to harness. I don't know of any more specific lore on chi for WoW specifically.

Somewhat off-topic but I always found it curious that the mists were put up to protect Pandaria, yet the mists seem to hold evil creatures like the Mist Creepers within them. That and the Sha always drop Vials of Swirling Mists...

Also, one of the monks in the Peak of Serenity offers this quote.

"I've dabbled in various forms of restorative magic, from the power of the tides to the might of the divine, but my true calling will always be the grace of the mists." Hinting that there's more to the mists than simply ones own chi.

Mystical gatorade.

Really though it's just a form of restorative magic they call mist.

The spec description also mentions herbal medicine. Could be that the 'mist' spells incorporate that, as a mystical way of applying the healing power of the herbs to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthstar View Post
    What is the source of Monk's magic?

Shamans and druids draw powers from spirits...
    Priests and paladins draw powers from the divine and power of faith...
    Mages, Warlocks, and Death Knights draw power from Arcane and fel...

So where does Monk's power come from?
    Chi, in Chinese culture, is life force, a flow of energy. Presumably monks have the ability to tap into it to fuel their magics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    It's Old Spice body wash, because they wield POWEEEEEEER. Also explsosions.

I see what you did there.