Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    He compared Vanilla raiding to LFR. Gee I wonder why he's unhappy without needing to coordinate shit. Try joining an RBG team or a competitive heroic raid group.
    What a tool. Oh and yes dallies that entire month it took to get everything to exalted. That is some grind. Shit but this guy played in Vanilla that should be childs play to farming consumables for 5 hours and getting 40 bodies only and the hardest part of early tier raid bosses was not falling asleep or farming rediculous loads of resist sets. What compelling gameplay.

The people on this game are truly ruthless. I don't really forgive anyone on wow but I understand the behavior.

I dunno guys. I get through the game every day and aside from the daily blitz in Pandaland I manage to have a good time without feeling any of the problems that everyone on this forum screams to high heaven about. You can have a sense of community, you can have people to talk to, you can do things with your guild. You just have to put the effort in. I have a group of friends I play with and we've been building our own guild. We help each other and interact all the time.

Hell, the other day I was flying around doing Pet Battles and I passed over nagrand and someone asked me to help him do Ring of Blood, so I swung around, flew back over to him, helped him out, then flew to my pet battle.

Flying mounts, which of are complained about, would have made this impossible. 1 because I would not participate in pet battles if i had to walk everywhere. and 2 because I wouldn't have turned around and ran back into nagrand to help this guy if I didn't have flying.

It kinda feels to me like the complaining online has just come full circle, Blizzard addressed a lot of flaws in the game by adding flight, LFR, LFD and things that made playing the game feel like a game and not a second job. So now the target is on something that's vague and silly like "sense of community".

The game is what you make it guys, if you feel a sense of community is lacking make one. find like minded people. I have on multiple servers. It's only a cold lonely place where you do everything alone and never leave a major city if YOU do everything alone and YOU don't leave a major city and YOU don't interact with everyone. It sounds to me like the people crying about community are looking for blizzard to add a "Looking for Friends" option

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancyfeast View Post
    should I feel bad for doing that? Is it our responsibility as gamers to help out our fellow gamer just looking to escape the doldrums of real life? After all, we were all noobs once.
    Pretty much this. We were all new once. We had to use addons and thottbot and read blogs about raiding. We relied on others in our group and from our server to help us get through it. We worked as a team.

Now, most players prefer a "solo style" in their MMO. Thus LFD, LFR were born. We no longer rely on each other. We roll one of every class so we don't have to look for a Bsmith, or a JC. We are in it for ourselves, for our gear, to make our gold, and play our game. Other players don't matter as much anymore, and we made it that way. We have only ourselves to blame for the state of the forums, the community, and the game itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    No, I don't feel terrible. I'm generally helpful, polite and in six or seven years now in the game, I don't think I've ever insulted anyone deliberately. People who dismiss this sort of thing as 'expected' or whatever should raise their expectations a bit. Anyone trying to justify being rude and abusive is more likely an offender than not. It's simply not OK because 'everyone else does it'.

People wrongly like to blame Blizzard because someone else acts badly. In the end each one of us is responsible for our own behavior.
    While I agree with you on the general message you promote here, I do however put blame on Blizzard too..
    Why? Well, let me use these forums as example.
    There's a large community active. The level of activity and maturity would not be existent without the help of people like you, who are here to moderate the forums and keep things in check. It's safe to say that without you moderators the quality of the forums would decline and it would be down the drain in no time.
    Blizzards main failure is the lack of active moderation of the game. The misbehaving, and decline of manners and respect for one another would not be at the current level if the people would know that they can face immediate punishment for their actions.

All online gaming communitys are bad. Some are just WAY worse. League, WoW, and ANY shooter game are among that top tier of a-holes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    He compared Vanilla raiding to LFR. Gee I wonder why he's unhappy without needing to coordinate shit. Try joining an RBG team or a competitive heroic raid group.
    What a tool. Oh and yes dallies that entire month it took to get everything to exalted. That is some grind. Shit but this guy played in Vanilla that should be childs play to farming consumables for 5 hours and getting 40 bodies only and the hardest part of early tier raid bosses was not falling asleep or farming rediculous loads of resist sets. What compelling gameplay.
    and here comes the internet hero, always quick to judge what is RIGHT and what is wrong as an absolute...

Grinding shit out in vanilla actually impacted how efficient your raid was going to go back then, being able to farm resist gear meant you could do your job longer before getting killed by game mechanics, every single step you took to grind things helped your guild one step further and it was recognized as an effort not only for just yourself, but for everyone.

Now, you're expected to be exalted with everyone to be as efficient as possible (and you should know, since you like to boast about your raiding expertise all the time), every single thing you're NOT doing is now criticized by everyone, because it affects you and how you perform, not how everyone else does.

YOU need to grind stuff for yourself, YOU need to get mats to buff yourself before the raid, and YOU need to know everything about your class before you even join a guild now, rather than a guild being where you learn to be better from the expertise of others.

Guilds are nothing in comparison to vanilla ones and you know it, back then it took a complete concerted effort to put a raid together and achieve something, now everyone shows up and gets barked at for forgetting a minor potion buff because that .1% dps might have been enough to down that last 5% hp on that last wipe...

people arent recognized for their contributions in WoW anymore, they are criticized for their failings and recognized as failures when they forget minor details.

I honestly am tired of motherfuckers like you, who are so damn quick to judge people on something because they don't live up to your superficial standards on what is a good player, the elitism of this game can do die in a fucking fire for all I care, and so can your attitude with it.

I have been tempted to come back to WoW for a while now, but every time I consider it, I always remember people like you are the reason I left, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with assholes who cant see anything beyond their own ass as respectable on a daily basis anymore.

Go ahead and try flaming me now Anaxie, cause I sure as fuck am not going to read whatever bullshit youd like to throw out towards me, goodness knows ive had enough "observations" about how bad I am or why I suck from people like you already...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I just got finished reading this article entitled, The Warcraft Community is Bad and We Should Feel Bad and it made me think about the times that I'd done something similar: that is, kicking someone out of group because they were poorly geared or slow to respond or telling PUG raid leaders not to accept certain people because they were "bad" or "poorly geared trash."

In retrospect, should I feel bad for doing that? Is it our responsibility as gamers to help out our fellow gamer just looking to escape the doldrums of real life? After all, we were all noobs once.
    The article you linked strikes alot of points but it contradicts the point at its heart.

It's a article about the bad community but it tells us at the end "The poor Warrior in the thread mentioned earlier is just looking to escape from the doldrums of his own life and slay some virtual goddamn dragons with some strangers. After all, isn’t that all any of us want?"

Now the thing with this is anyone who's read about that warrior knows that he wasnt just failing the min/max and although everyones wants to just log in and kill dragons, if you had a group full of people like that you wouldnt be killing the dragons.

This noob etc culture gave me a steep learning curve which I managed to surpass and although some people are slow, and yes I do try to help people out, the fact is the learning curve gives us the ability to 'complete' ,and I use that term extremely loosely, the game. But I do agree the overall attitude could be toned down a bit.

The other thing is, yes there is a lot less teamwork than before and I'm guilty of it when I played wow, but people should of learnt to adapt. The whole argument surrounding my latter statement is that you need to learn to play games for the people around you and not for the game itself. Notice in this :
    • Log onto my guild’s Ventrilo server, join the lobby channel with most of my guild in it.
    • Farm herbs for a few hours to contribute to tonight’s raid.
    • Do a few dungeons with guildies to help them better gear up.
    • Switch over to the PVP team’s Ventrilo, join their group, and do battlegrounds for a few hours a day to MAINTAIN my ranking (Rank 11, no big deal by the way ::brushes dirt off shoulder:
    • Rejoin my guild’s vent to get ready for the raid.
    • Raid for a few hours with the guild.
    • Form a Zul’Gurub or UBRS raid after the main raid to keep working on everybody’s gear.
    • Fall into a fitful slumber, with visions of Onyxia’s head hung o’er the Valley of Heroes dancing in my head.

Compare that to what I do on a normal basis now:

• Get the Golden Lotus dailies out of the way as quickly as possible. Pray I do not get the obnoxious Ruins of Guo-Lai iteration.
    • Harvest a smattering of random vegetables from my makeshift farm to the delight of an anthropomorphic, hillbilly panda bear.
    • Join a queue to join a raid where if there is any communication whatsoever, it’ll be of the “OMFG YOUR TRASH” variety.
    • Log off, think “well, at least that’s out of the way until tomorrow,” and log back in by rote tomorrow.

He has nothing left about joining vent? He's isolated himself much as the people hes complaining about.

If you play a game for teamwork...find some team members?

Forgive my grammar I'm pretty tired.
    Last edited by mini98; 2013-02-19 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    You can trust me. I just flop around like a fish until I decide what I want to believe, then I tell people they are wrong for thinking some other way. It works for me.
    Words of wisdom if I have ever heard any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    All online gaming communitys are bad
    That's just so not true

My sister used to play WoW for years too. She started playing during Vanilla, and quit about a year ago. The reason was the decline of manners and community behavior. She was a guild leader, and raid leader for a long time. She just quit, because she was fed up with how the community turned out to be nowadays.
    She kind of got hooked now on games she plays on Facebook. There's also a gaming community existent, despite of being totally different games. But similarity is close enough... interaction with other players in the same game... And I have witnessed a whole different feel there. It's more how WoW once was...
    Polite community...
    There is also a much better community sense on platforms like Pogo Games, or the former MPlayer..
    No, not all gaming communities are bad. Only those who draw a certain species of players are. And those have to be monitored by moderators, or at least by fast acting stuff in the office, that carries out significant punishments for misconduct, when reports come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Noahsmith37 View Post
    Most people that are terribly geared, not playing their class right because they didn't have 5 minutes to go online and look it up, or just overall not really carrying their weight, also don't want your advice. I have tried to help in the past, and if someone is really struggling with something and being unfairly attacked by some egomaniac then I will step in and try to help. However, if someone is doing everything wrong and acting like an idiot, then wants to be a douche about it, they deserve to be kicked from the game and have their account suspended.
    90% of people that I try to help end up calling me a elitist because i have the ability to read a forum guide for 5min. Anything that resembles IQ and being able to play a simple game well, is either you live in the basement or you have no life and play 24 hours. I stay away from bads and raid with people with the same mindset and everything is fine.

When you try to mix two totally opposite people together, bads/good players, the result is not pretty. One person sees the game as incredibly simple as i do and another person sees it as incredibly difficult. Two different goals and so on, so I think everything being handed out and nerfed has ruined the game to a point and the community is the result of that.

Now players are given loot for LFR, dailies, and just about anything instead of earning it through normal/heroics raids. Before you had to farm for your crafted, then farm all your rep, then farm for raids, now people buy crappy blue pvp gear and go in LFR.

I am really glad that 5.2 LFR is gonna have mechanics and the ability to kick more because it is going to be needed.

Deleted
    People on internet are bad, generally..

But MMO has the best community I have ever experienced, really.. And I am daily visiting forums for keeping of Mantids, Tarantulas, Chess forum...

Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    90% of people that I try to help end up calling me a elitist because i have the ability to read a forum guide for 5min.
    Judging from the tone of your post I'm guessing you get called elitist because of the manner in which you try to help people. I help people all the time and I get constant thanks for it. Its aabout communication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen, the community is still there. Specifically, I've seen it in the raiding community. The reason for this imo is that there's a certain level of anonymity and that lets people be assholes. However, when you're raiding, you stick with a group, and people know you by name and voice. You now have that responsibility to keep your reputation.

In retrospect, should I feel bad for doing that? Is it our responsibility as gamers to help out our fellow gamer just looking to escape the doldrums of real life? After all, we were all noobs once.
    There is no accountability. So everyone can be an ass to everyone else. Should we feel bad about it? Well, should we feel happy living in an anarchy state? Because that is what the online community is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    and here comes the internet hero, always quick to judge what is RIGHT and what is wrong as an absolute...

Now, you're expected to be exalted with everyone to be as efficient as possible (and you should know, since you like to boast about your raiding expertise all the time), every single thing you're NOT doing is now criticized by everyone, because it affects you and how you perform, not how everyone else does.

YOU need to grind stuff for yourself, YOU need to get mats to buff yourself before the raid, and YOU need to know everything about your class before you even join a guild now, rather than a guild being where you learn to be better from the expertise of others.

Guilds are nothing in comparison to vanilla ones and you know it, back then it took a complete concerted effort to put a raid together and achieve something, now everyone shows up and gets barked at for forgetting a minor potion buff because that .1% dps might have been enough to down that last 5% hp on that last wipe...

people arent recognized for their contributions in WoW anymore, they are criticized for their failings and recognized as failures when they forget minor details.

I honestly am tired of motherfuckers like you, who are so damn quick to judge people on something because they don't live up to your superficial standards on what is a good player, the elitism of this game can do die in a fucking fire for all I care, and so can your attitude with it.

I have been tempted to come back to WoW for a while now, but every time I consider it, I always remember people like you are the reason I left, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with assholes who cant see anything beyond their own ass as respectable on a daily basis anymore.

Go ahead and try flaming me now Anaxie, cause I sure as fuck am not going to read whatever bullshit youd like to throw out towards me, goodness knows ive had enough "observations" about how bad I am or why I suck from people like you already...
    Firstly you don't know me and if you check the paladin forums I think i make larger contributions the the game and my class then you could imagine. And have to be exalted with everything? No not really hell I bought like 2 vendor items. Man that was one tough grind. I did get exalted tho because man. I love mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst part about the WoW community is the amount of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Grinding shit out in vanilla actually impacted how efficient your raid was going to go back then, being able to farm resist gear meant you could do your job longer before getting killed by game mechanics, every single step you took to grind things helped your guild one step further and it was recognized as an effort not only for just yourself, but for everyone.

The player base is too diluted to have that form of raiding like back in Vanilla. Even being a top 100 guild it is hard to recruit actual good players that don't need their hand held. A one month grind isnt exactly hard for the small amount of time it takes to do dailies. You can go on MMO and read the class guides and set your action bars, rotation, gemming, reforging and so on in maybe 10-15min. You can watch videos on youtube to get the idea of fights, you dont need someone carrying you through content showing you how to play the toon you leveled to 90.

Nothing ever changes, people who are really good at the game are critized while the people who do poorly playing a very simple game rage against them because they can't do it but they say they choose not to. You level a toon to 90 and still need help? Let me guess you dont have the time but you have alts, sit in vent, etc, join a casual guild that doesn't care about progression and hang out with people like yourself. Then you don't have to worry about elite player's and their opinion.

Blaming Blizz is a complete cop out. Every person is responsible for their own actions. If you are not in control of your own actions, maybe you should not be in a social environment...

i dont think the wow community as a whole is bad. i think its old and very large and with any community like that there will be a few bad eggs who ruin it for everyone plus its on the internet so its even easier for the thick headed chavs to mouth off.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    this so much.

and i personally feel more involved with the wow community more than ever in this expansion. /shrug

people have been assholes forever, and it isn't moreso than before either.
    Sig by Populaire