Poll: Chain combo attacks possible in WoW??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's just the sort of fun and novel mechanic to justify a new melee class. I thought monks would actually be more like that originally.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Voted no.
    The reason is that i don't think it would be as fun as it sounds.
    It's great in those fighting-games where you're just using a joypad or the like.
    But in wow it would be a combo of keys that needs to be pressed, which basically translates to a macro using
    /cast x
    /cast y
    /cast z --> strong combo fullfilled, with one button.

and then press it brainlessly when you get in the range where it's needed.

If you have a good suggestion how to actually make it possible not to just macro it in, with the way wows spells works, i would be very eager to try it
    I
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Voted no.
    The reason is that i don't think it would be as fun as it sounds.
    It's great in those fighting-games where you're just using a joypad or the like.
    But in wow it would be a combo of keys that needs to be pressed, which basically translates to a macro using
    /cast x
    /cast y
    /cast z --> strong combo fullfilled, with one button.

and then press it brainlessly when you get in the range where it's needed.

If you have a good suggestion how to actually make it possible not to just macro it in, with the way wows spells works, i would be very eager to try it
    I
    Why would you be able to macro this anymore than you would be able to macro overpower going off automatically when it proc's as you spam mortal strike or colossus smash. There are plenty of proc abilities in this game you cannot macro to one button, and this would just be a similar chain of procs, would it not?
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Why would you be able to macro this anymore than you would be able to macro overpower going off automatically when it proc's as you spam mortal strike or colossus smash. There are plenty of proc abilities in this game you cannot macro to one button, and this would just be a similar chain of procs, would it not?
    I looked up the ragnarok monk and it looked like a static rotation rather than a priority system. Not sure if that's what they OP wants or not but if it is I'd have to say no because static rotation are boring as all hell. Give me a random proc or change in resource cost to make things interesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Well that's more PvP where DPS doesn't matter. In PvE where DPS matters, that wouldn't be much of a problem.
    If the design would be to start out with relatively low damage and for damage to increase as finisher combo's stack then that would work terrible for PvP, pressure would be terrible as they would never reach the higher combos due to the various amounts of cc in the game.

Edit: I apologise if I've misunderstood the concept but thats what I've understood the idea to mean xD
    Last edited by mmoc3e5086b698; 2013-02-20 at 03:14 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There is some difficulty, of course. Latency (especially high latency), could easily cause you to cancel or lose or combo if it is time-based. It'll be difficult to work bosses around combo-style mechanics as well as balance them, perhaps. Maybe. I could see how it could add some strategy: knowing the right moment to interrupt a combo just like making sure a lock never gets off that chaos bolt.
    It would have to be forgiving. And, if melee, it'd have to have auto attack.

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 09:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Walshy View Post
    If the design would be to start out with relatively low damage and for damage to increase as finisher combo's stack then that would work terrible for PvP, pressure would be terrible as they would never reach the higher combos due to the various amounts of cc in the game.

Edit: I apologise if I've misunderstood the concept but thats what I've understood the idea to mean xD
    There's a feature I'd been toying around with for a demon hunter that is more of a Rage + Ruinic Power sort of thing.

It starts at 0 and certain attacks build it up. If its below a certain value you can only use your most basic of attacks. Then at a certain value, like 20, more abilities unlock. And this upward trend continues until at 100 your finishers become available. And using a finisher resets the bar to 0.

It'd have great burst, making it good for bosses and PvP, but I'm not sure if it'd be good for trash and soloing.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Walshy View Post

Thats fine. What I'm thinking is more along the lines of a monk starting with jab, then Tiger Palm, then BoK, then RSK, and finishing with some crazy weapon attack that can only be done at the end of a combo, and does extra damage and provides a buff as a reward. The abilities would still do decent damage outside the combo string.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had worked on the monk class I would of designed them sort of like this:

In your spell book you have a wide assortment of abilities that don't have very large tool-tips or effects. They are things like from a traditional arcade fighting game: Hard Kicks, Low Kicks, counter attacks, etc. The way it would work is that rather then having different big abilities you can pull off like most classes you would instead have to do a combination of these certain base-moves in order to trigger the "combo" move which would be a passive effect in your journal. These "combo" attacks would be a lot of the main monk abilities available now like the Spinning Jade Kick and the Hundred-Hand Strike. Each of these passive combo abilities would tell you what combination of base moves you would need to do in order to trigger them and maybe there would be an interface that would show you on screen all of your combo abilities. Now when you first start to enter a combo and do your first basic melee attack it would start a debuff timer on you, this time would represent how much time you have to enter the rest of a combo before the combo needs to be restarted, in the same way in a game like Street Fighter you cant really start the input for an attack then stop for a few seconds and finish it, it needs to more or less be in one swift motion. If you manage to trigger all of the base melee attacks (that deal various levels of damage) required for a combo passive effect then that ability is activated. There could also be other triggers that are required like for example some moves may require you to be in movement running towards an enemy and activated or you would need to move backwards for a few secs to charge up an attack. There can of course also be the normal Chi-related mechanics added on like for example while you could chain together combo attacks there would also be a Chi-penalty that would prevent you from just destroying an enemy with an endless stream of attacks, and on the flip side there could be passive abilities that require combing two or more different combo sets together to activate.

Basically that's a rough idea of how I would of liked it implemented. I was really looking forward to trying to play a monk with an arcade stick when MoP came out.

I'd like it but wouldn't it be moving towards /castsequence macros, which is what I though Blizzard didn't want? Would just be a small step over to how macros effect Rift's gameplay, if anyone has experience there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    Street Fighter MMORPG! Can you imagine everyone just hurricane kicking
    I thought monks already did that

(and those mobs in Shado-pan that hundred-hand-slap everywhere)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
    I'd like it but wouldn't it be moving towards /castsequence macros, which is what I though Blizzard didn't want? Would just be a small step over to how macros effect Rift's gameplay, if anyone has experience there.
    I don't use Macros, so I'm not familiar with them. However, could that be avoided if you couldn't start a combo unless a certain condition is met? Ex. Jab needs to crit before you can begin the combo.

Deleted
    the Warlock in Dark Age of Camelot had a nice spell combo thingie.

Was a caster with 3 types of spells.

Basic spells (lets say like fireball, scorch, flameblast, frost nova)
    Support spells which you have used WHILE casting the basic spell. the effect was added to the basic spell (roots, life leech, group heal)
    Utility spells. (high mana cost but let you cast your spells twice as fast or withouth being interrupted)
    1 of the utility spells was even a storage spell (a bubble above your head) where you could put in 1 basic spell together with a support spell so that you could use them instant in the middle of the fight. when specced into the utility tree you had 5 of this bubbles :3.

This is the way the Warden class works in lord of the rings online. It's the hardest class to learn, a hard class to play and still uses quite a lot of buttons.

The mechanics of combing are inflexible, your options get narrower and narrower as you combo and if you've already done something wrong, you end up with something completely different.

These mechanics were tried and rejected. They simply aren't worth the price you have to pay, especially if it's one class' gimmick. You'd do nothing but compare yourself to the normal classes and thoroughly feel the limitations.

You could argue that blizzard could do it better, but that's exactly what they did when they threw out this idea.

It's just a really bad idea from the perspective of mechanics.
    There's loads of reasons I could go into (insufficient burst, abnormally long ramp-up, low sustained DPS and bizarre execute timings as well as general clunkyness and ability-railroading, the problem with movement, stuns, interrupts and other things, the fact that you'll have little synergy with other classes are are simply not allowed to make any mistakes), but I think I can point safely to the Rogue's combo point system, and say: 'Generally speaking, this is NOT a success.' What you're suggesting is much, much more player-unfriendly than a combo-point system.

It's a cool idea, don't get me wrong, but coolness factor is a game system's worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Colossus smash is one key, when it procs, so no need to macro. But if you get a 3-4button combo when something procs, it will be easier to just go for the macro instead of moving the fingers to the respective keys.
    If it's something that require a chain of procs for you to follow that can go randomly, so you more or less have to follow the procs with your fingers it might work, but would be somewhat complicated to play, i guess ;D
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Colossus smash is one key, when it procs, so no need to macro. But if you get a 3-4button combo when something procs, it will be easier to just go for the macro instead of moving the fingers to the respective keys.
    If it's something that require a chain of procs for you to follow that can go randomly, so you more or less have to follow the procs with your fingers it might work, but would be somewhat complicated to play, i guess ;D
    To prevent this maybe they could make the requirements for anything past two hits in a row time-based. Remember Super Mario RPG? You had to hit the button at the correct time during the attack animation to unlock the next attack in the sequence.

Deleted
    so it's like automatic macros right?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The posts don't seem to match the poll results. Can anyone chime in and explain why this couldn't work?
    I don't see any reason why something like this couldn't work...mechanically, at any rate. There would be issues and you'd have to design the system well, taking into account PvP, interrupts, latency and so on. Major difficulties? Don't see it. Enough niggles and problems to ensure it isn't worth developing? Perhaps.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Although the concept seems nice, I do not think that it'll work quite so smoothly. Latency issues and the way the game works would make it very hard to create it in the game. And to make it even fair, the abilities would need a cast timer or the combo setup won't be interruptable with most interrupts, unless it's a stun or something.

Nah, all in all I think I would not like to see it implemented.

I think we already have abilities similar to this and latency isn't an issue for them, sort of like monk or rogue combo points, but perhaps I'm not informed. For something like a demon hunter I imagine not only having a series of combos, but a resource mechanic you're building up and releasing in controlled bursts like rage, chaos energy or fel fire, but the combos would unlock a series of tactical choices you would choose from depending on the situation. Like immolation aura, or a refined blast or fireball, or charging your blades, you have to release the energy somehow or it starts to possibly have a penalty, like a loss of hit points or speed, which would symbolize it's corruption and the demon hunter's sacrificial aesthetic.

I dunno, just throwing ideas at the wall.