Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Does food give you nightmares?

When watching sitcoms and similar tv shows, there is often an episode where one of the people gets a nightmare, or uneasy dream and blames it on the type of food they eat.

This is also referenced in a lot of movies..

But i have never had a bad dream because of food,( or at all since childhood) and i am wondering, is this a real thing?

When you eat right before you go to sleep, the chance of getting a nightmare is higher than normal, atleast from my experience, could just be coincidence too. ^^
    "How poor are they that have not patience"

Deleted
    Bad memories gives me nightmares, not food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the way that I always understood it was that food itself does not give you bad dreams/nightmares. If you were to eat a heavy meal right before bed however, the metabolism and increased brain activity may cause you to have nightmares.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

A hamburger doesn't. The Hamburlger on the other hand...scares the shit out of me.

10+ Year Old Account
    never happened to me to have nightmares after any type of food...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you eat a lot before you sleep, you will have lighter sleep as you won't enter a deep sleep, causing you to have more dreams, not necessarily nightmares though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    When watching sitcoms and similar tv shows, there is often an episode where one of the people gets a nightmare, or uneasy dream and blames it on the type of food they eat.

This is also referenced in a lot of movies..

But i have never had a bad dream because of food,( or at all since childhood) and i am wondering, is this a real thing?
    All I know is that before I was ten on multiple occasions I had nightmares about giant leaves of iceberg lettuce eating me like a venus fly trap. Psychologists would have a field day with me.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Deleted
    Cheese gives me very vivid dreams, but what I watch before bed tends dictate what I dream about. For this reason I watch an episode or 2 of a comedy series as I lie in bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if I've ever had a food induced dream. None of the dreams I ever remember have centered or starred any types of food. Except that one time Billy Baldwin threw an orange at me and hit me with a chair...

10+ Year Old Account
    I have nightmares if I don't eat right before I go to sleep.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Food iself? Probably not. The RESULTS of food consumption, quite possibly. As one poster mentioned, going to be immediately after eating a Heavy meal, or a shitload of sweets could probably give you Nightmares. Per Classic Dickens, Indigestion (resulting from eating something) could probably give you nightmares. You get the idea.

No, but I will wake up several times and sleep badly if I eat food that leaves my guts boiling.

Supposedly but I haven't experienced that to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Stixxz View Post
    If you eat a lot before you sleep, you will have lighter sleep as you won't enter a deep sleep, causing you to have more dreams, not necessarily nightmares though.
    Don't know about that. More dreams, maybe, but I sleep a lot better after having eaten something.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    All I know is that before I was ten on multiple occasions I had nightmares about giant leaves of iceberg lettuce eating me like a venus fly trap. Psychologists would have a field day with me.
    Were your parents coincidentally killed in front of your eyes by a gang of angry lettuces?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw an article about this the other day. I'd be curious to see some confirmation of this, but it doesn't sound unreasonable at first glance:

Actually, there is some evidence that eating a spicy meal shortly before going to sleep can lead to some wacko dreams. In fact, eating anything too close to bedtime can trigger more dreams, because the late night snacks increase the body’s metabolism and temperature, explains Dr. Charles Bae, MD, a sleep medicine doctor at Sleep Disorders Center at the Cleveland Clinic. Heightened metabolism and temperature can lead to more brain activity, prompting more action during rapid eye movement sleep, or REM.

I've seen things supposedly found on thisiswhyyourefat that gave me waking nightmares. Does that count ?

Oddly enough, if I go to bed really hungry, I'll have nightmares. Really intense ones at that.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

if you eat right before you sleep it can affect your sleep. ive found caffeine gives me nightmares, or at least very strange dreams.

I drink a couple beers pretty much every night, and I don't really eat late. I don't know, that seems to work just fine for me.