Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A tunneling service for WoW... is it safe?

Hi, I've been considering trying a tunneling service like smoothping for WoW. I've heard people say that it isn't safe and can increase risks of viruses, hacking, etc. I just want to know if it truly is safe or not from someone who knows the facts and how it works. I don't want testimonies, I need facts, will or will it not be safe? Thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Hi, I've been considering trying a tunneling service like smoothping for WoW. I've heard people say that it isn't safe and can increase risks of viruses, hacking, etc. I just want to know if it truly is safe or not from someone who knows the facts and how it works. I don't want testimonies, I need facts, will or will it not be safe? Thanks.
    www.artofping.com

UDP is a better choice. Runs great. Had no issues.

Enjoy.
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

afaik with multiple keys encrypting it's... let's just say it's very hard to decrypt wow traffic without knowing all that keys.
    but i can't tell you it's impossible. just not as easy as icq, in example
    "Paragon of the Light, lead our armies against the coming darkness."
    Эн / Калифпорния

Assuming you don't think the company providing the tunneling service is going to steal your info, it is just as safe as not using one (and can be much more safe, if setup correctly)

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been banned for it before. I prefer not to use it anymore.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

I used wowtunnels for a year and had no problems.

get LeatrixLatencyFix if you don't have it already, it will fix the latency slightly

other than that don't use the tunneling service, it's ridiculously easy to take advantage of everything you do including your info and security and you barely get anything in return

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    get LeatrixLatencyFix if you don't have it already, it will fix the latency slightly
    There was a huge discussion about that between people saying it works and ppl saying it just fixes the numbers but it's still the same. would be awesome to know the truth before I even try it out =)

Speaking of tunneling services, how do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    Speaking of tunneling services, how do they work?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunneling_protocol

Pretty much some ISP's throttle certain types of traffic, like streaming videos or DL's, or sometimes WoW (or other games). A tunneling service would let you make your ISP think that the traffic is something else. They can do lots of other things, but that is the main one for a wow player I would think.

Why you pay your money for Smoothping? Just uses my program I developed using WAN optimization techniques.

It's a free game network for global users and I'm getting positive feedbacks from all around world including US, japan, south korea, guam, austrailia, new zealand and more!
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-02-20 at 03:40 PM.

Art of Ping went out of service and now I can't play anymore from a network that is blocking world of warcraft access, can you guys share other solutions? thanks in advance

Can you post a link and refer me so maybe they give me discounts?

10+ Year Old Account
    May wanna try making a new thread next time. o__O Last post in this one, before it was necro'd, is about a year and a half ago...

Anyway, just find some free proxy to use. They work fine unless the network admin is super tentative to the network's activity (at my college I was able to use a proxy for a few days to play WoW before it was blocked).

I always see that everyone says: "this was posted before why did you not make a search first"

now when I do the search and follow their advice, I get "why didnt you make your own new post"

Wowtunnels is working fine now. How to avoid being banned for using it?

Well tunneling is nothing else than having a "man in the middle". It is good to come by network restrictions and such. So if your school disabled wow sites, you are going to talk to the man in the middle, which you are allowed to. He will connect to the wow-sites and relate the information to you.

So that "man in the middle" could always copy, store or misuse your info. Normally if we are speaking of a company, they wont, cause they want to earn money from you next month as well.

Anyway what happens is that in your communication with wow a new instance is getting implied. Having one extra "person" in a communication chain will never, under no circumstances lower the communication time. Most liekely your latency will increase with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzargok View Post
    How to avoid being banned for using it?
    Just for the record, using a tunneling service isn't against WoW's rules. The problem is that it can make it looked like you're hacked because it makes it look like your IP is logging in from weird places. It can trigger an automatic lock on your account (not a ban) that you have to call them to explain to have lifted.

So it's not a ban and your account isn't in jeopardy, but it sounds like it might be a pain in the ass because you do have to contact them and explain when it happens. Most people I know who have used a tunneling service have had to do this at least once, but I'm not sure how common it is.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Good info from both of you.

Hope to read more feedback from people who use this service all the time, I'm using Pingzapper now with the option bypass firewall

Deleted
    I am playing from China and use both StrongVPN and FixMyLag.
    They both run quite well, FixMyLag being actually very good at reducing ping (and it only tunnels your games, not the rest of the connection). My biggest issue is China-side: the isp does it best to hinder connections when it detects a vpn is working.

Safety? I have had no safety concern. It's true that sometimes, IP ranges used by strongvpn will get flagged as dangerous, i had several buys from blizzard store denied because of that, and the customer service told me that could be the reason. Also, Blizzard's customer service said they have don't have a policy regarding connections from VPN or tunneling services; they know many players need to use them, but will not give support for the problems those services might cause.

is it more expensive than Pingzapper? (4 USD per month)