Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Primi View Post
    I remember years ago a thread on the official forums.A player reached 60 with all the classes and wanted to share the achievement with the community(rest assured it WAS an achievement back then).It is difficult to say if he was the first or just the first to make it public.

Most of the post where congratulations post and questions about how he did it but one post in particular got my attention.The concept(more or less) was:

"This is bullshit.I cant see any value in your achievement.I dont change my account with just one T2 char for all your worthless lvl 60 green chars.Do you think you have something? YOU GOT NOTHING MAN".

Aside from the,sadly usual,hostile attitude I couldnt help but answer:"And....you think you got something,isnt it? lol Your precious T2 char is...something".

It makes me a sadpanda that the regular view of the game matches perfectly that guy's view.
    We play not because the way is funny: we play because we want to have something.We want a t14 set,we want 2 million golds,we want an elite pvp set,we want world first/realm first or we simply just want to get to ilvl 480.

In the end,we got nothing,absolutely nothing...it is just the road we drive,the laughs we make and the friends we meet.Thats all.The only way of getting fun in this game is playing under the rule:

"If you knew you would be perm-banned tomorrow....what would you today?".

Salutes.
    Well dear sir, if I knew that i would be perma-banned the next day, i would write a very strongly worded letter to Blizzard.

But really nice post and yeah... nothing you achive in WoW carries over. I have thought a lot about this after i quit WoW. All that i accomplished in WoW is basicly worthless now. My 2.2k achiv, my insane title, all my reputations and all my gear and gold is worthless. But i did have fun getting it all. I look back and remember when i farmed my insane title. Running down below Rachet and killing pirates with two of my friends while we were on skype chatting and having fun. My raids where we finally got that server first on Yogg to discover that another guild did it only an hour after we finally killed it. They are all good memories.

So cherish the time you play, but remember that in the end you are basicly wasting time in a virtuel universe that will not last. So just do the things that you have fun with. And if the game starts to feel like a chore, stop playing. I did. And i believe anyone can do that, if they are not enjoying the game anymore.

I think if people take a step back and look at things objectively for a minute, they discover that wow really isn't a very fun game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I think if people take a step back and look at things objectively for a minute, they discover that wow really isn't a very fun game anymore.
    Actually, they would discover that they can have a different opinion, because everything fun is subjective.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Actually, they would discover that they can have a different opinion, because everything fun is subjective.
    I have a blast and love it.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Deleted
    Did someone really "fun" and "objectively" in the same sentence? Wow isn't fun because too many people treat it as a job. The worst enemy of this game is the people playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play every week but I don't play every day and I don't play the same toon all the time when I do play.

And yeah, deciding what's 'fun' on an 'objective' basis is a non-starter.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    That's quite a subjective view.

I think, with WoW, you have to think about why you're playing. Are you playing for friends? To learn the lore and/or Roleplay? To down bosses for bragging rights/feel of raiding? Etc. I know this topic is more catered to the players who PvE/PvP so much they feel it's eating into the rest of their time, but my reasoning is that if your only reason for playing so long is to get gear and you don't enjoy it, then it's more a self-imposed challenge.

And yes, the pyschology is there. As humans we constantly, whether antagonistically or altrusitically, want to prove ourselves as being in some way stronger/faster/stronger/better than others in various ways, and those who want to prove that via WoW PvE/PvP, but don't have the time for it, may feel that if the weekly "requirement" was lowered to a time that suits them, they could spend less time to reach the ceiling and say "Well, I could be better but the game physically wont let me" and keep their "status", even if they wouldn't be able to keep up had the cap been increased. Of course, there's a myriad of factors, and that's just how I see it at least.

Oh, and to Drii, about the subscription model: While I'm sure Blizz wants to have as many players subbing as they can, I'm not convinced the entireity of the game's caps/blocks are based purely around subbing. There's other factors, such as being fairer to players who don't wish to PvE/P to an extreme amount (like the anecdote in Vanilla about the Grand Marshal/High Warlord having no sleep for months to achieve such a rating), as well as those who had to take breaks for RL reasons being able to catch up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctVrpQ-orss

You have to play WoW.

You have to play WoW.

You have to play WoW.

YOU HAVE TO PLAY EVERY DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I feel the need to play weekly because I'm on that god forsaken quest to get 6K valor right now. Only got 730 so far and will have 1730 by the end of this week. It takes me quite some time to cap valor each week but it feels mandatory to play in order to catch up. Once I finish that, I've still got to kill the guy in Krasarang, and then start on the 5.2 chain.

I could opt not to play, but I'd fall behind even more. However, I deal with it because everyone else had to go through the same. I'll eventually catch up and then I'll be able to relax. I don't do dailies outside of Dominance Offensive, and I'm still not even close to revered with Klaxxi, Angler, August Celestials, still have numerous Tiller NPC's to finish off. The only reason for me farming DO rep is that I want the mount. I'm an LFR only guy. Because of the approach I've taken to the game, I play as I want. I don't need to dedicate myself to it. I used to despise people like me because they generally ruined raiding guilds (before LFR was even around), but now, I understand that it's easy to get burnt out with the game.

Prior to MoP, it was never a case that I'd always be able to find something to do. TBC was raiding and some PVP for me. That was it. Wrath was the same until LFG was updated, but it still didn't draw me into dungeons. Cata, I didn't play much at all. MoP though, there's almost always something for me to do. It's the first expansion where there's enough options that I don't feel forced into anything and can play as I want. I gear through LFR, get the vanity rewards from reps, and do various other things the rest of the time, or you know, log off and do something else. Even if I'm 'forced' to play every week, it's the fact I can do what I want when I want that changed my perspective on the game. I can schedule the game around real life, and stop when I want to without anyone feeling like I've let them down by doing so. Everything is available to me in some way, and finding time for it isn't difficult.
    So much this. I feel the "You have to play weekly/daily" is still present, however i completely agree with the fact that there are many many more options than ever for how you spend that daily/weekly time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am on the same quest, but 1900 VP in. Honestly I am in no real rush because I know I will be grinding rep a lot more easily with the new raid and new rep in 5.2. Will it take a month or two still? Yes. Do I care? No, not really. I just want to get the legendary for my guild and for myself, nothing more.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

It is the nature of human psychology that when you are in a giant hamster wheel, you try to make it spin faster, especially if you get food pellets for it.

And so people confuse "have to" with "don't have to at all, actually."

If it weren't fun I would not be playing it. I have 0reason to continue playing something I pay for if it is no longer fun. I do not care that I have placed 8 years into my characters if this game ceases to provide entertainment then I will no longer play. The good thing is there are many many avenues in this game to have fun and I enjoy them all except the PvP. I only dabble in it when necessary or to see if it became fun again.

I do not play to keep up with the Jones's. I do not play to acquire things, although that does happen. I play because it is fun.

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I feel the need to play weekly because I'm on that god forsaken quest to get 6K valor right now. Only got 730 so far and will have 1730 by the end of this week. It takes me quite some time to cap valor each week but it feels mandatory to play in order to catch up. Once I finish that, I've still got to kill the guy in Krasarang, and then start on the 5.2 chain.

I could opt not to play, but I'd fall behind even more. However, I deal with it because everyone else had to go through the same. I'll eventually catch up and then I'll be able to relax. I don't do dailies outside of Dominance Offensive, and I'm still not even close to revered with Klaxxi, Angler, August Celestials, still have numerous Tiller NPC's to finish off. The only reason for me farming DO rep is that I want the mount. I'm an LFR only guy. Because of the approach I've taken to the game, I play as I want. I don't need to dedicate myself to it. I used to despise people like me because they generally ruined raiding guilds (before LFR was even around), but now, I understand that it's easy to get burnt out with the game.

Prior to MoP, it was never a case that I'd always be able to find something to do. TBC was raiding and some PVP for me. That was it. Wrath was the same until LFG was updated, but it still didn't draw me into dungeons. Cata, I didn't play much at all. MoP though, there's almost always something for me to do. It's the first expansion where there's enough options that I don't feel forced into anything and can play as I want. I gear through LFR, get the vanity rewards from reps, and do various other things the rest of the time, or you know, log off and do something else. Even if I'm 'forced' to play every week, it's the fact I can do what I want when I want that changed my perspective on the game. I can schedule the game around real life, and stop when I want to without anyone feeling like I've let them down by doing so. Everything is available to me in some way, and finding time for it isn't difficult.
    In terms of the legendary quest line you need not worry about "falling behind." We know it will be many many months before it concludes and even then we do not know if we will get the actual legendary item before SoO or after we tango with if for a while. I care so little about it that my gem is on an LFR weapon for my off spec that gets used maybe three times a week in raids if our druid tank shows up. If not then I tank all 16 fights. I only say this because I fully believe we will get to choose from a few items for the legendary. Even if that is not the case it is no biggie.

imho - it's the exact opposite. WoW is a very fun game if you take a step back and look at the whole picture. It's actually insanely fun, and has so many opportunities of things to do for all different playstyles.

It's the people with blinders on that tend to complain about the game. "I have to do dailies because that is the only way to gear. Waaaahhhhhh!".

Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    YOPO.

You Only Play Once.
    Hahahaha!

Well, if you don't feel like you don't want to play then don't. Playing is about having fun and if raids and pvp doesn't excites you anymore then you should probably taking a break playing.

Haha, yeah I read that post and thought wait he's complaining about having to play every week. Not every day. Every week. CULTURE SHOCK!

I especially can't fathom when it's PvP players complaining about having to PvP. Why else do you play PvP other than because you like it? Good gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the quest to get 6000 VP.

I told myself that I have to get 1000 VP every week. Then I was depressed.

Then suddenly I realized, I'm not going to FORCE myself to do something in a video game. And now I don't give a damn if I make 1000 VP a week for six weeks. And now I'm happy.

Moral of the story is: its a game, not a job. No one forces you to do anything.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, WoW has become somewhat of a job. It was once a hobby that was fun and exciting to play! It was never stressful. I just logged in and enjoyed the atmosphere. However, I can't go at that slow pace anymore. I tried when I came back to MoP after quitting for well over a year and ended up in a top world guild months after returning. Slow and steady is a mindset I no longer have

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    it's the nature of wow. there are complex psychological reasons for it.
    Pretty much this. Some people have the need to suck the marrow from the bone. The Completion/perfectionist.
    Warcraft just never lets us have our goals and keeps dangling their carrot in front of us.

There are better games out their, this tactic just keeps us around not by choice but compulsion. Thats why the games true quality can decline while subscribers remain relatively steady.

Quote Originally Posted by Primi View Post

"If you knew you would be perm-banned tomorrow....what would you today?".

I would download programs to bot all day and do it as openly as possible. Otherwise I will not be banned next day and thus breaking the space-time continuum and destroy the fabric of reality as we know it.

Feeling, thinking and having an opinion is one thing, Blizzard deciding to gate much more content with timesinks this expansion is another. It has obviously rubbed many people the wrong way, but apparently also keeps more people p(l)aying the game.