Deleted

Component question. (video card + processor)

So, I'd like to know wether it would be better for me to get 4x gtx680's, (power questions aside, performance is what matters to me.) or 2x 690's for my new setup, aswell as what kind of performance bonus would taking 2x Intel Xeon E5-2687W mean over a single one (seeing as the chip is not exactly of the cheapest side), or an overclocked Intel Core i7-3970X . Thanks for all the help in advance, too.

What are you going to use the build for? 4-way SLI is pretty much useless outside of benchmarking, in most cases you get better performance and less issues with 3-way.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Meh, browser freezes up whenever trying to edit my post, trying to clarify and hoping this post gets added to my previous post.

- Obviously I know that 2x xeon's would outweigh using one, but by how large a margin?
    - If looking by simply playing computer games, the i7 has higher clock speeds and is overclockable, but has only 6 of it's 8 cores enabled, do the higher clock speeds make up for this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    Meh, browser freezes up whenever trying to edit my post, trying to clarify and hoping this post gets added to my previous post.

- Obviously I know that 2x xeon's would outweigh using one, but by how large a margin?
    - If looking by simply playing computer games, the i7 has higher clock speeds and is overclockable, but has only 6 of it's 8 cores enabled, do the higher clock speeds make up for this?
    any chance for more details what you intend to make such a rig for?
    also xeons can't be oc'd and games don't use beyond 4 cores if at all. (if you still want overkill get a 3930k and overclock that to 5Mhz)

Dual Xeons has no use when it comes to gaming, not even a 6 core have much performance gain if any over a simple 4 core i5.

The only reason to go for a x79 build is the extra PCI-E lanes if you are serious about using 3-4 GPUs.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait a day and see how Tri SLI of GTX Titans stack up against GTX 690x2.

I'd really like to know what you're planning to use this computer for, though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Was thinking of getting 4x 680's mainly due to already having two, but I would find use for those if I was getting 690's, I know xeons cant be oc'd though, thats why I was asking for if the higher clockspeeds on i7 outperform the 8 cores (while I know It'd be overkill for anything I'd ever do). I'd like to apologize for if I'm asking anything stupid or so.

- Regarding the issues of using 4x 680's, could you be more specific as to what they are? - Main conserns are wether 2x 690's outperform the 680's, and by how much on either side

Deleted
    well assuming the right mobo to support 4x 680's will be the stronger performing combi due to 690's being clocked slightly slower.
    However gaming performance for both those cards is a moot point since it is utter overkill.
    also since you are considering 2x 690's why not 2 titans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you already have your eyes set on a motherboard?
    "A flower.

Any LGA1155 i3 would outperform dual E5-2687W in gaming. Clockspeeds matter, cores does not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well assuming the right mobo to support 4x 680's will be the stronger performing combi due to 690's being clocked slightly slower.
    However gaming performance for both those cards is a moot point since it is utter overkill.
    also since you are considering 2x 690's why not 2 titans?
    2 Titans do not outperform 2x690s. Three titans will though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    2 Titans do not outperform 2x690s. Three titans will though.
    not a question of outperforming but of already being powerfull enough.

Deleted
    not a question of outperforming but of already being powerfull enough.
    Yeah but they cost the same. Therefore the more powerful setup wiins.

Deleted
    Yeah but they cost the same. Therefore the more powerful setup wiins.
    well 690's still being $1000 im pretty sure that titan won't be released at the exact same pricepoint else it would not sell.
    also quad sli support is not that good compared to just two way SLI so im thinking performance wise they are closer then we think. (around $900 is expected price of the titan iirc)

Deleted
    well 690's still being $1000 im pretty sure that titan won't be released at the exact same pricepoint else it would not sell.
    also quad sli support is not that good compared to just two way SLI so im thinking performance wise they are closer then we think. (around $900 is expected price of the titan iirc)
    100% sure they're being released at $999. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Deleted
    100% sure they're being released at $999. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.
    tommorow we'll know for sure but pretty sure i saw the $860 mark up in some article (might be outdated though)

Deleted
    Sorry for not responding to responds to this thread (eh), anyhow, even with titan around the corner, I decided to replace my 2x 680's with 2x 690's, as I got someone to buy my earlier setup for a hefty sum. Thank you for all your help, although I did not get the actual performance charts I was looking for while making the thread, I mostly got what I asked for. , my new rig will be running with a i7-3970x with 4.7ghz clocks, and performing just as I'd expect of a rig that I'll have poured as much personal money in to. (ps, first time setting up a watercooling system(with some assistance, mind you), wish me luck!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck! With Titan benches being released *today* though, I would have just waited...
    "A flower.