Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Blade Lord Tay'ak

My guild has been struggling with this. Our best attempt is like 25%, but nothing really good. Pretty much looking for how other people handle the tornadoes and where they put them, and how you move around the room.

Our strat we have been using, which works like a champ in normal is starting at one end of the hall and working our way to the other, after about 2 strikes we move a little. But on heroic, we are almost at the end of the hall and just hitting 35%. For the most part our DPS is good. We were usually all at around 80k with 5DPS 2tanks around 20-30k each and 3 heals with our HPriest doing about 20k dps.

We have a few options for our setup.

Tanks:
    Guardian Druid
    Prot warrior

Heals:
    HPally
    Resto Shammy (elemental)
    HPriest (Shadow)

DPS:
    Assass Rogue
    SV Hunter
    Arcane/Frost Mage
    Enhance Shaman (blood DK)
    Afflic lock

Extra man:
    Resto shaman(enhance)

Open to any suggestions on how to do it, or tips and tricks for the fight. Not posting logs cause I already know some things that certain people do wrong, and that's not what I am asking for. Thanks.
    Last edited by Fellaand; 2013-02-21 at 04:45 AM.

Have you tried two healing it yet?

Also, Disc is much much much better than holy for this fight.

Yea he is MS SPriest, and went holy to learn it for 5.2, ill see if I can get them to 2 heal and have him go disc.

how we do it is tank him where he starts when we engage, and move him back a little after each unseen strike, then start moving the boss towards either side of the pathways, and flood the middle with tornadoes. Nearing 20% we ofc are running out of space, but we pretty much have enough room to move freely when he reaches 20%.

Also this fight pretty much has to be two healed, no way you gonna reach enrage, unless you have some seriously good dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    Also this fight pretty much has to be two healed, no way you gonna reach enrage, unless you have some seriously good dps.
    We have always 3 healed this fight. It's very possible.

how we do it is tank him where he starts when we engage, and move him back a little after each unseen strike, then start moving the boss towards either side of the pathways, and flood the middle with tornadoes. Nearing 20% we ofc are running out of space, but we pretty much have enough room to move freely when he reaches 20%.

So for your strat, you are starting on the stage going straight back to the entrance, then down either the left wing or right wing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumast View Post
    What were your DPS at for this? As I stated in my OP we are around 80k some higher some lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumast View Post
    This is true. We just 3 healed it with 2 dps that did 50k with about 40 seconds to spare on enrage. It was tight once upon a time when people were less geared but it's not very demanding anymore, you just need to stay alive. Otherwise, what Ergar said is exactly what we did as far as handling moving the boss, and we had plenty of room. Ensure you have a safe entry into p2 with people topped off, then top people off before running anywhere. Then, once the boss is at 11%, everyone but a tank should jump in the slip stream and go all the way to the other end. Pets can stay behind as well and you can just resummon them. Makes sub 10% an absolute joke without the healers having to worry about dodging tornadoes while keeping people alive, and also saves a good 30 seconds on the kill in case you are close to enrage.

Yea, the slipstream thing we have mastered in normal, but we haven't even seen p2. Maybe I will need to post logs cause besides a slightly different strat we are doing what all are saying.

Here is logs from our first night:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...pes&boss=63664

Our second night:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-q3k3a4udfyj1xgcj/

Here is logs from last night:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/db9ybpapfem247r6/

Assass rogue would be me, besides my noob SND uptime on protectors everything is open for bashing

Don't move after 2 strikes.

Move 25% of the room every 20% boss health. If you base it off strikes you may run out. You should not be running out of room if you have the dps to kill it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild's composition is the following..

Tanks
    Guardian Dr00d
    Prot Pally

Healers
    Resto Shaman
    Holy Priest
    Resto Shaman (normally dps)

DPS
    Fury War
    Aff. Lock
    Frost DK
    Surv(?) Hunter
    Ass. Rogue

We can easily 3 heal it, as we're all pulling 90-100k+ dps. We just start at one end of the hall like you and do 2 Unseen Strikes per pillar, and before we get to the final pillar he moves into the next phase.

Make sure your paladin is using Clemency (or whatever allows for multiple hands, I don't play a paladin. :P) and using HoP on the players with wind step if they're squishy or if it's getting ugly.

Deleted
    Having a disc priest makes this fight a lot easier, since you can almost completely negate every unseen strike with spirit shell. The way we do it is by starting where he is from the beginning, and then after two strikes we go to either side of the room (whichever we fly to), and after two strikes there, we go to the entrance of the room, and then to the last side. If you happen to need more space after that, you should be able to use the middle for a bit. It's also important ranged dps don't stand in the middle or in the wrong place to avoid having tornadoes in bad places.

We start him near where he stands and move a quarter of the room after each second blade tempest. We make sure nobody drops tornadoes in the direction we're going to go next ahead of time and everyone just moves that way when running out from the whirl, your whole raid is moving then anyway so it's the easiest and simplest point to move the boss without dealing people moving and getting double windsteps or range of dps or heals. If a double windstep does go make sure one of them is getting BoP'd. Usually we fill the first, left and center wings and don't need to touch the 4th, you'd probably hit enrage if you go past 6 blade tempests anyway. We also find it very useful to move boss near the exact center of the hallways just before 20% because you can start running down the hallway faster if it doesn't have to grip you in from as far. We take full advantage of pre-spirit shell, stampeding roar and warlock portal to get people down the hall faster. At 11-12% we have all but 2-3 players (on 25 man) jump into the slipstream on the side of the boss and have most of the raid at the 2nd landing spot when he's in the air, letting dots and high mobility dps finish the last little bit to push him.

You will likely either need to two heal it, or have your dps step it up.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=6162&e=6373

This is a decent fight length from day two, set to before anybody died. With dps as low as it is, you will likely meet enrage even if you do see phase 2.

So I think I may have found one of our problems, but I would like to get a confirmation we are doing it wrong. I know this is a normal mode mechanic, but unseen strike, how does that work? We have been under the impression that if we were to stack up on the tanks with the target facing the same way as the tank, we would get knocked behind the tank.

T=Tank and raid stack point
    < or > = unseen strike targets facing direction
    B= Boss

T < B (that is how we were trying to do it)

T > B (is what I believe to be correct, after watching about 30 different kill videos and reading Icy veins comment #68)
    http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topi...k/page__st__60

If some body can confirm either case, or a something different that would be awesome.

Deleted

We do the same. I Think that if you're getting overwelmed by tornados pre 20% with proper dps your spawning them in bad locations. What we do is tank the boss in the middle and have the raid at 1 side usually the platform. ~70% raid moves to the other side of the room letting the tornados spawn there while have more or less the path free. ~50% dragging to the boss either left or right side. We've always 2 healed this fight, i guess you find in ph2 if your healers manage. Make use of the wind on the side at the left or right side ~11%

10+ Year Old Account
    The direction has nothing to do with the direction any player is facing, just your location.

We make our way to stack up a few seconds before he does the strike, and this is how I do it.

When we're stacked up in a loose clump, whenever I'd get the strike, I'd back-peddle just a tiny bit to ensure that the boss will be facing me straight-on. People would correct their position a tiny bit if necessary - which it rarely is as we all have agreed on which direction the target will direct the kick to - and then we get kicked back in a straight line. It's easy if you know how the boss works.

See, the boss won't move, and all you have to do is make it turn in the right direction. It's like the boss is the center point of a circle and he'll be turning to face you wherever in that circle you are. And all you need to do is to position yourself in a manner that makes sure that everyone is in the cone that you know he'll strike at.

The quote in #61 in your icy-veins link describes it perfectly. The guy in #68 makes it wayyy too complicated. It's really a very simple thing.
    Last edited by Seriss; 2013-02-21 at 10:20 AM.

Deleted
    Regarding the positioning:
    We start, where he spawns. Tanking him at the stairs near the middle, Stacking the raid in a raidmark below the stair to his platform. Then he will knock you against the stairs and you are only flying ~1 meter. While the 2nd blade tempest we move him clockwise to the long side of the room. Raid stacks at a preset raidmark. During the first tempest at the new location, we move to the entrance. During the next tempest we move to the other long side of the room. Always facing the boss to the middle of the room.

regarding the strike:
    For me it seems, there has been a change in the mechanic ~2 months ago.
    I figured out, it works this way:
    - boss becomes invisible and steps towards the targeted player
    - boss follows this player and faces always into the direction, the player moves
    tactic: set a raidmark. When strike occurs, raid moves to raidmark and the striked player moves from his actual position right to the raidmark in a straight line and stops 2m before the mark. Just move straight, dont dance in the last second.
    Last edited by mmocbb9a6eb0c7; 2013-02-21 at 03:30 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding the unseen strike mechanic, just simply stand on top of the marked person, exceptions being : If anyone has wind step debuff, they should stay out unless that person is marked with the strike and in that case you'll have to HoP him if possible.

Also, Shadow priests and mages can solo the unseen strike, so don't bother stacking up in that case.

Make the spriest go disc instead of holy, and still 3 heal it. He can spirit shell *every* unseen strike and make it a joke of a mechanic. Leave whoever has windstep out of the stack. If the stack is on them, the pally can purity them or hop it off. Mage can also run away from people when unseen strike is on him. As soon as he's stunned by the boss, he spams blink and dodges the strike. If the priest is even half decent at disc, though, there's no need. Shell is up for every strike, and it makes it very, very easy.

I suggest using the entire length of the hallway for your first kill. Pull it all the way to one end, and after every unseen strike move about 15-20 yards down the hallway. That way you keep leaving tornadoes behind and they don't turn into a big mess. You should push phase 2 without coming close to the end of the hall. Don't move too much too fast - you DO have to deal with tornadoes, but this makes it so they don't overwhelm you.

While i agree with most of the posters about the priest being disc, I think the bigger issue is he doesn't know how to heal on a priest at all.

From the parses you supplied i didnt see a single prayer of mending, renew, or holy word spell. As holy those are literally three of your best healing spells. I would highly recommend they do some reading about healing as a priest, especially if you want him to heal for you in 5.2.

I play a swing healer/dps priest for my 10 man raid and here is a log for some fights in HoF/MSV. Admittedly would probably consider myself a healer first and dps second but for comparison i was shadow on 1st boss and disc on the 2nd fight
    Dpsing Zor'lok http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3931&e=4364
    Healing blade lord: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5127&e=5525